Hostility

a little delima

to start i will tell you what i have.... 99 s10 ext cab. 2 15" nightshades v1, saz 3500D, current box is wedge syle, 7 cubes at 31hz, 90.75 sq inches of port, slot port firing up along the back. now ive tried a few things and many box's, i haven't been able to make it loud on the lows, and sound clean, its loud, but its not clean sounding to me. ive tried tuning higher, but then it wont hammer the lows like i wanted it to. so im debating on trying some aero ports, or selling these and buying 4 sa-12's and hoping the play better? what do you guys suggest i do?, also to describe the sound i hear is like a chuffing sound, and gets worse with window open. very hard to explain but thats about the best i could do.

to start i will tell you what i have.... 99 s10 ext cab. 2 15" nightshades v1, saz 3500D, current box is wedge syle, 7 cubes at 31hz, 90.75 sq inches of port, slot port firing up along the back. now ive tried a few things and many box's, i haven't been able to make it loud on the lows, and sound clean, its loud, but its not clean sounding to me. ive tried tuning higher, but then it wont hammer the lows like i wanted it to. so im debating on trying some aero ports, or selling these and buying 4 sa-12's and hoping the play better? what do you guys suggest i do?, also to describe the sound i hear is like a chuffing sound, and gets worse with window open. very hard to explain but thats about the best i could do.

Feel free to pm me your contact info ...ill help you out

do you want high spl numbers, or sound great and hit the low notes. very hard to get both. tune higher for spl, tune lower for sound quality/less distortion.

oh no, i should have stated, this is not for numbers, i am curious, but could care less, thats why im tuned so low.

What are the actual dimensions on your port? Long skinny ports don't tend to do too well and you could be hearing some port noise.

While in my opinion the NightShade is one of the better sounding spl subs out there, keep in mind that it is not an sq sub. No doubt 4 sa-12s will sound much better. For daily listening I loved my 4 sa-12 setup much more than my NightShade 15"s. For sheer loudness the NightShades won by a mile though.

My Nightshades sound great, slightly peaky but awesome for an output oriented woofer :)

well thats what i was thinking, maybe because the nightshade is more spl oriented, its not able to do what i want it to, thats why i was thinking the sa-12's... my port is 5.5 x 16.5 and 26.5" long (total, not physical length)

well it seems that for me to get sa-12's over here in canada is more pricey then i thought, so i guess its on to building a 5th box.... any suggestions from the pros? ive have had so many mix opinions on what to build and tune and box size and what way to fire them that so far nothings really turned out.