Slumpin

properly grounding the battery

right now my battery is grounded to the front of the drivers side head (which is aluminum)

i get a bit of noise every now and again through the front speakers and probably inaudibly through the woofers.

the passenger side head is grounded to the chassis, above the motor. its all 4 gauge. i'll get a better ground by grounding the battery directly to the chassis right? then i just leave the head grounded above the engine the way it is? i know it needs to be bare metal, but can i just ground it anywhere thats metal on the body of my car, or does it need to be directly to the frame?

Grounding to the battery will cause much much less interference, or prevent it than gounding to a chassis.

grounding the equipment itself to the battery you mean? i just run the negative wire on the same side of the car as the positive?

dont know if thats going to work with 0/1 gauge... might have to step down to 2. ill get all sorts of interference if i run the negative on the side the rca's are on right?

I'm lost, what is a head??

Why can't the battery be properly grounded to its stock location or the frame/chassis ?

If you have quality rca's you should be fine with running the negative wire next to it.

I'm lost, what is a head??

Cylinder head. Where the spark plugs are located on most vehicles. The valve cover covers the valvetrain on the cylinder head. It's most commonly where you will pour your oil into.

what kind of vehicle Do you have the the batt gnd is to the motor & not the frame? Most I've seen are either - just frame -or- frame plus a small gnd to motor.

Just curious.

I've seen Honda's that are like that.

Still didnt answer my other q

Why can't the battery be properly grounded to its stock location or the frame/chassis ?

i dont know why it was grounded like that. i could look up the stock location in my gm service manual, but the thing is like 2000 pages long and it would take me forever. not planning on using it anyway. i have aftermarket aluminum heads, dont know why this would make any difference, but there are threaded holes in the front and back of the heads so its not a custom thing.

the car is an 87 trans am

i think im just going to lead the heads grounded to the chassis at the back the way they are, remove the battery ground and put it on a bare part on the body. hope i dont screw anything up :lol2:

That's standard GM grounding.

i think im just going to leave the battery grounded to the motor in 4 gauge the way it is, but run 0/1 or 2 gauge also from the negative terminal straight to the back. i think i might be helping my msd ignition by having the battery grounded to the motor also, but dont want noise from it.

I grounded mine to the factory ground spot since it is less than a foot away from my battery. I just sanded off the paint on the spot as extra precaution