Sign in to follow this  
tysonm

Help choosing new subs

So right now I have a Cadence ZRS-8 (site says 1500 rms @ 1 ohm, but really puts out around 18-1900 rms @ 1 ohm), and a RD Alpha V2. I want to upgrade so I can get more output, I was thinking either going a single 15" or two 12", it can't be anything that will only fit in a SUV because this will be going into a trunk of a '98 Honda Accord Coupe, my budget is $500 (i would prefer used so I can buy the sub(s) cheaper).

I was thinking about a 15" Xcon, 15" BTL, two 12" Icons, or two 12" BL, I am also open to other suggestions.

maybe a new box can help, and be much cheaper. what size box/sub do you have. what's it tuned to? what is the sub/port placement?

maybe a new box can help, and be much cheaper. what size box/sub do you have. what's it tuned to? what is the sub/port placement?

Sorry about that, it's a 12", the box is 2.3 cubes, tuned @ 33hz. I'm not sure what you mean by "sub/port placement" . Here is a video of it, if it helps.

could always turn the box around and seal up around it to get louder. :)

any of the sub options you mentioned are great subs, and all can get stupid loud. it depends on the install and what size of box you can/want to put in. i would go with another 12, to keep the cone area advantage.

SSA has a new icon coming out, you could look into those when (i dont know a date) they come out. if you use the search function you will find a lot of reviews on all of those subs, and more. do some reading and see what you like. and if it comes down to two that you think would work really well, flip a coin. just make sure you can fit them comfortably in the trunk and build the box sturdy.

DO THE BIG 3! even if you sell the car you can take it out easy, or if done right it wont matter at all. (read in a comment that you are selling the car or something like that)

Well I am pretty sure that I want to do two 12's because of the cone area advantage over a single 15". I will look into the new Icon haven't heard of a new version coming out! I also haven't done the Big 3 yet, but will do once I get a new vehicle. Trunk space will probably be the same in the next vehicle I get, but I am trying to piece together a setup that I can throw in my new car when I get one. Then I will do all the fun stuff such as Big 3, ditch the rears get amp+front stage setup, and sound deaden trunk/doors.

I just don't want to rush anything because I want to have one bad ass setup, which is why I am asking for all the experienced forum members advice :)

I don't know about your current sub, the RD, so it's difficult for me to know what you really need/want.

the BTL will love your amp, as an Xcon. But they are 2 different subs.

Like the Icons and the BL's.

2 12"s bl can be stupid loud, louder than 2 Icons maybe.

Tell us more.

what kind of music you listen to ?

I mostly listen to metal, screamo, hip hop, rap, some techno, and sometimes alternative. So I listen to a variety of music, but want something that will have some high output off 18-1900 rms.

Pretty much anything you see on here in the ssa shop is going to be nice.

You need to give some specific goals for your system or all you will get is a bunch of fan boy shit. Look around some, it's your system. Have some specific goals.

Everyone on here has their own favorites, you may not like their choice for your install. Narrow it down yourself and ask opinions on a few not all, it will make it easier to get good advice.

:drink40:

Pretty much anything you see on here in the ssa shop is going to be nice.

You need to give some specific goals for your system or all you will get is a bunch of fan boy shit. Look around some, it's your system. Have some specific goals.

Everyone on here has their own favorites, you may not like their choice for your install. Narrow it down yourself and ask opinions on a few not all, it will make it easier to get good advice.

:drink40:

It will be going in the trunk of a honda accord coupe, I would like 2 12" subs unless a 15" will suite my needs better, I want something that is going to pound and sound good off of 1900 rms. What else do you need to know for me to be more specific?

Well since you don't want to take Sir-Lancelots advice, I'll give you some of my"fanboy like" advice...get 3 10" DCON's port them at 31hz and blow away your trunk lid, lol.

(the previous statement may not be tru or accurate to the best of my abilities, it is just a suggestion)

you listen to the same type of music i do. i will be getting a 12" FI BL, from my research it seems like the perfect sub for the application. The BL is Loud (Hehehehe) and is also very accurate. is the $500 for the sub only?

Yeah, $500 for the subs alone, I will custom make for the sub. I was set on getting two 12" BL's, but after some research, the box would be to big to get into the trunk of my 98 honda accord coupe.

Yeah, $500 for the subs alone, I will custom make for the sub. I was set on getting two 12" BL's, but after some research, the box would be to big to get into the trunk of my 98 honda accord coupe.

read up on the 15" their box size isn't huge, for most subs. if ur going to be putting out more than 2000 watts on the sub, forget about the BL and look into XCON's, BTL and some of RE and AA higher out put subs.

The box size for two 12" BL's would be 4 cubes which is to big for the trunk of my 98 Honda Accord Coupe and same with the 15" BL. I have looked into the Xcon which I am still considering, but I think I would really like to get two twelves since I should be able to get a little more output with the cone area.