mikemihai

15'' BL fully loaded suddenly acts weird, please read

i knew 31" long wasn't right lol...just didn't jive in my head

It almost appears they automatically added the end correction to the port length. That would explain why RE came up with 31.5" and actual physical length is 29.5", assuming half port width for end correction. RE is still inaccurate with the way it calculates volume, I'd be curious to see how that program calculates its net internal volume.

No idea..

I don't use it for good reason. I use a pen and a piece of paper and a calculator..

It's just geometry :)

Essentially that is what I do, I just set up a spreadsheet to calculate it for me on the fly. :neil:

I really liked ur schematics, I'm not really good with excel tho :( so i cant make it that far as finding measurements with excel, but ur stuff looked very professional

Ok..that calculator is wrong. There is absolutely no way that port can be 31" long. When you do a port you calculate the center as the tuning portion of things..or you can make it easier on me and take a piece of string and put it down the center line of the port and then let us know how long it is when it comes out the end of the port.

Just a rough calculation in my head (i'll have to get a string and some cardboard out later..i'm not doing that right now, it is sunday on a holiday weekend.)

That port is realistically about 26.75" long.

Which would mean it displaces .990 cubic feet...

Which would mean the box is 4.83 cubic feet..

Which would still tune it around 33Hz..

But it is still larger then what we suggest. Your mechanical power handling goes down the larger the enclosure is. Regardless shoot me an email, send the sub in. We'll take care of you on a recone. But if you get a recone and put it back in that same situation it is going to do it again, that wall that you drove the brand new car in is still going to be there...it's only a matter of time before you smack it square into that wall again :)

Lol, i just want to :wackit2: on that wall and burn it down.(If it was toyota that were to hit the wall...id get a replacement :lol2: ) So the bracing and sub adds @ 2 more hz to the box making it at @33hz, is that what killed it u think? I mean it ran fine for ( i counted today) 7 months, so its just weird to me, im gonna check again the settings on the amp to see what the subsonic filter was set to. supposed to be 2hz under the box's hz. On the website it says have it tuned at around 33hz so the box is not out of specs also, for port area it says 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot. I have a 66inch vent area with 4.611 cubic feet (7964cu inch) so im within limits(14square inch vent area per cu foot) according to re audio, but i know after the bracing its really @ 170-200 less cubic inches, so not a big difference at all. then about .21 cu ft displacement from the sub. so im not sure how u got a larger spec for the box ("Which would mean the box is 4.83 cubic feet".) either. Also the bracing & sub should not bring the total cubic feet down by much, leaving still about a 15.3 cubic inches of vent area per cubic foot of space, so im still within the 12-16 inch specs off the fi website.Sooo, in other words my box should be okay, im gonna check my subsonic filter to see if that is set around 31hz for the 33hz box, b/c if it was lower all this time then thats not good. I remember after my friend and i set it up, i didnt touch it anymore, so i dont rem exactly what it was left at, i just kinda assumed its set around @30 hz. but im gonna check to make sure. and post again

if the subsonic filter its okay, then assuming the amp has no bad parts then neither the box or amp caused any problem, so im gonna check my battery to see if theres a huge voltage drop on a deep beat, and also gonna check my head unit to see if theres anything wrong with that. Alsooo i need to know how much a recone would cost me and what does it come with, i looked on the site already and was a little confused, didnt see anything talking about spiders, i need a new spider, VC its okay, it can be reused in fact is that possible? its still good it seems and had the more expensive flatwind wire or whatever its called. Also does the recone come with new cone and dust cap? so basically they gonna repair my sub to like new conditions? if so then how much $$$ will it be to send it in, not counting shipping? Thank you

A recone includes the spiders, former, vc, cone, and surround all in one unit that you replace.

:woot: im a :noob: , well thats good that a recone includes just about everything minus the magnet and basket(optional), i was hoping it included spiders which seems that all what the sub needs beside having the VC moved back up around a quarter inch in place from where it slipped. If i have to pay for a recone, that would be my best option instead of buying a new sub(which i cant afford anyways)

there should be a 1 year warranty on all fi subs aside from the btl....it is too much of a beast to warranty lol

Oh one more thing i forgot to add on my last post, If this really was the cause of the amp being build cheaply and the hifonics company was cutting corners, is there any way i can proove they gave me a faulty product and get them to replace it and also pay me for the repairs on my sub? I'll take them to small claims court if i have to :P By the way the amp is the 2010 model D class amp at 2000 watts, I don't remember the model name, but i can check if anyone wants to know.

"" NDMstang65, on 28 May 2010 - 07:31 AM, said:

Speakers are stupid, they do what you tell them to do.

Regardless, odds are the subsonic filter pot on that amplifier and the screen print on that amplifier is off. They probably cut a deal on their buddy's pots at the factory in china or korea..and used 20% variance pots instead of 2%..""

there should be a 1 year warranty on all fi subs aside from the btl....it is too much of a beast to warranty lol

Oh one more thing i forgot to add on my last post, If this really was the cause of the amp being build cheaply and the hifonics company was cutting corners, is there any way i can proove they gave me a faulty product and get them to replace it and also pay me for the repairs on my sub? I'll take them to small claims court if i have to :P By the way the amp is the 2010 model D class amp at 2000 watts, I don't remember the model name, but i can check if anyone wants to know.

Regardless, odds are the subsonic filter pot on that amplifier and the screen print on that amplifier is off. They probably cut a deal on their buddy's pots at the factory in china or korea..and used 20% variance pots instead of 2%..""

No part of any warranty anywhere will cover burned parts or anything..

Including doing something dumb. :)

:werd_msword:

I've been busy so its been a while since I been on this forum, I still have to go check the setting on what I had on EXACTLY on my amp when this thing burned, and also the pics which I said I was planning to post. Should be posted soon

just a quick question.. not stealing thread :P

If my box is tuned to about 32 hz what should the subsonic filter be set at ? or whats the rule

If my box is tuned to about 32 hz what should the subsonic filter be set at ? or whats the rule

set it to 30hz, its usually is 2hz under what ur box is, just make sure ur box is 32 hz for sure before tuning ur amps subsonic filter at 30hz, bracings and subwoofer depth can steal away space therefore lower ur total box tuning hz, so keep that in mind bro

set it to 30hz, its usually is 2hz under what ur box is, just make sure ur box is 32 hz for sure before tuning ur amps subsonic filter at 30hz, bracings and subwoofer depth can steal away space therefore lower ur total box tuning hz, so keep that in mind bro

doesnt the sub at about 2 hz?? it will be about 30 hz without sub so im adding 2 because of the sub.

am i correct?

im not sure about all companys but i know for a fact alpine digital design and crescendo dont care much or ask questions about how the product was damaged and have always repaired/replaced any broken items for any reason......also a buddy of mine dropped a hot wire on his lanzar opti amp...lol it fried like chicken...lanzar sent him a new amp even after he told them what happened....some companys have great customer service above and beyond......i dont know about alot of ppl...but for me....

i know a will pay alot more for the same thing if it comes with good customer service....more inportant than the products i buy...is how the ppl i buy them from deal with me as the consumer :suicide-santa:

p.s a proper install will take care of 99% of problems,,

if for some reason or another a person does not know how to complete a proper install....

make sure to pay a pro!!!

Edited by djteks

im not sure about all companys but i know for a fact alpine digital design and crescendo dont care much or ask questions about how the product was damaged and have always repaired/replaced any broken items for any reason......also a buddy of mine dropped a hot wire on his lanzar opti amp...lol it fried like chicken...lanzar sent him a new amp even after he told them what happened....some companys have great customer service above and beyond......i dont know about alot of ppl...but for me....

i know a will pay alot more for the same thing if it comes with good customer service....more inportant than the products i buy...is how the ppl i buy them from deal with me as the consumer :suicide-santa:

if for some reason or another a person does not know how to complete a proper install....

Cool.

I've owned nearly every DD woofer that they've ever built. I had a pair of the first run of 9915's that they ever produced and turned them inside out 5 times. Guess what? I paid 300 dollars per recone.

We take care of people definitely WAY more then we should. In fact for the first time in a number of years one person actually packaged their woofer up properly and sent it back with all of the correct paper work and information attached with it. I called the gentleman and asked him what size shirt he wore because this was the first time in well over 3 years that we've ever got anything back that was done correctly. It's a shame that you have to reward somebody for having a bit of intelligence and actually READING the stickers on the outside of the packaging material, and the warranty slip inside of each and every box. The fact is that none of those products (Aside from DD which are assembled in Oklahoma) are built in the US. It's easy to eat the cost on an amp when you don't have to pay anybody to do anything other then put a UPS label on it there is a big difference. There is absolutely no sense in a company having to pay for something that you did.

If you'd like to talk about the other end of the spectrum you can also look at the 3kwp amps are selling for $550ish a piece right? So you have 1 die...then you have 5..then you have 30. So now you have to sell 250 amps to be able to even cover cost of what you have lost to even pay the bills...

Business and Marketing is a LOT more complicated then I think you have a grasp on...there's nothing wrong with doing somebody a favor...but if you are cutting your own throat your mother raised a fool.

We can take the Ryan-Air approach to things if you'd like. If you are handicapped and need a wheel chair to go from one end of the airport to another you've gotta pay for it.

Regards.

i dont want you to get me wrong im a fi owner due to the fact that both the subs and the service are great.....

DD is cool and a great product but its not for me....i dont want my comments to be taken as talking down on fi....

and also as i said with a proper install there should not be any problems....

but from time to time i have seen subs and amps fail for no reason or fault of the buyers..

i am not saying that such as in the case of the optidrive amp the company should have to repair or replace as that was just stupid on the buyers part..

all im saying is i like to have faith that if everything is right on my end....and no corners are cut....and i am running a proper install...and for some unknown reason..

an amp or sub or my deck fail to work...that the company is there to help me with products still under warranty.....

that being said.....the bl and btl would be my favorite types of subs for any type of install..

and i look forward always having fi products in my car..

also i respect the fact that a company has to put out alot of money to make money...and can not just pay for mistakes they did not make..i know how it is

the bottom line is the most important thing.....aside from the reputaion of the company........i had a bad experience with JL one the phone for instance...

i will never use their products again...they are rude and a bit shady.....

Cool.

I've owned nearly every DD woofer that they've ever built. I had a pair of the first run of 9915's that they ever produced and turned them inside out 5 times. Guess what? I paid 300 dollars per recone.

We take care of people definitely WAY more then we should. In fact for the first time in a number of years one person actually packaged their woofer up properly and sent it back with all of the correct paper work and information attached with it. I called the gentleman and asked him what size shirt he wore because this was the first time in well over 3 years that we've ever got anything back that was done correctly. It's a shame that you have to reward somebody for having a bit of intelligence and actually READING the stickers on the outside of the packaging material, and the warranty slip inside of each and every box. The fact is that none of those products (Aside from DD which are assembled in Oklahoma) are built in the US. It's easy to eat the cost on an amp when you don't have to pay anybody to do anything other then put a UPS label on it there is a big difference. There is absolutely no sense in a company having to pay for something that you did.

If you'd like to talk about the other end of the spectrum you can also look at the 3kwp amps are selling for $550ish a piece right? So you have 1 die...then you have 5..then you have 30. So now you have to sell 250 amps to be able to even cover cost of what you have lost to even pay the bills...

Business and Marketing is a LOT more complicated then I think you have a grasp on...there's nothing wrong with doing somebody a favor...but if you are cutting your own throat your mother raised a fool.

We can take the Ryan-Air approach to things if you'd like. If you are handicapped and need a wheel chair to go from one end of the airport to another you've gotta pay for it.

Regards.