Sign in to follow this  
pimppistol

girlfriends car audio keeps cutting off

so, im borrowing her mustang for a week, and shes using mine :( but shes got a few problems i wanna check to make sure before i do anything.

1. after about 2 hours, it all cuts off... im thinking cuz her amp gets too hot. its a dual 600w amp i think, and its powering the inside speakers, and her 10" xplod. should i rewire the inside speakers to her head unit? only bad thing is its a 4 channel amp i think. so, how would i get that working with just 1 10" sub? or should i leave that alone?

2. hermusic lately has just been cutting off for now reason. i THINK the fuse on the power wire from the amp is loose cuz when you wiggle it around the fuse, it works again. mabe i should replace that fuze mount thing? the head unit stays on, just theres nothign from the speakers. so it seems like itd be the fuse cuz i checked where it connected to the battery, and i re did that and tightend it and it still does it... i would just re do the fuse mount thing, but i dont know how to take out the chord... so i might just cut it and get a new one..

and 3, might be the same as the first, when she plugs her ipod up in the aux in port, after about 5-10 minutes it cuts off. could that be the same problem above? or what could that be?

I believe it's probably going into thermal protect mode and you say when you wiggle the fuse your probably giving it just enough time to cool down a bit making you think it's the fuse. The ipod is probaby turned up to much while downloading or on it itself sending a really hot (maybe distorted) signal to the HU causing the amp to heat up and cut off quicker than usual. Try ro fing a amp manual to check if it has a thermal light so you can tell exactly next time it cuts of.

P.S. I prefer ANL or mini ANL fuses so loose connections don't happen like with AGU

Edited by Cant Get Enough

i really dont think it was the woman. i think it was the shop, cuz she said they didnt ground it very good and she had to re do that.

well, when it cuts off before 2 hours, thats when you wiggle the chord. after 2 hours, you have to turn the car off and back on. or the radio anyways. like, if the chords in the wrong place, it turns off. we were playing with it to see what it was. and its just when the chords in just the right position, itll turn off.

and how can the ipod be doing that? why would they make a head unit that cant handle it?

If it cuts loose on like bumps it can be a loose remote wire

If it cuts loose on like bumps it can be a loose remote wire

its not really on bumps or anything. just... when it feels like moving. liek we had it just sitting still, with the music on, then it just cuts off. but again, we wiggle mr fuse, and it works....then stops again, then wiggle, then stop, then wiggle.... you get it. we didnt do it that many times, but still

I used to have that prob. But i wouldn't wiggle the fuse if i move the amp it would go in protect. But wala the problem arose the ground wire got from some bolt, Was not very tight and my speaker wire wasn't that long and it did some shorts.

what size power wire are you running? are u using bass boost at the amp or hu?

i think its the 0 gauge. whatever comes in the wire kits. it was scoche or whatever. and i dunno about bass boost. everything is exactly how the place that did it left it. i think she had her bass and trebble and stuff up a lil, and she has loud on.

check sub ohm loads lately ?? they correct ??

can the amp breathe ?? in a cool area or restricted air space ??

pics of girlfriend would help ... :lol2: just kidding ... Check all connections ...

Edited by Cablguy184

check sub ohm loads lately ?? they correct ??

can the amp breathe ?? in a cool area or restricted air space ??

pics of girlfriend would help ... :lol2: just kidding ... Check all connections ...

wow, i forgot about the girlfriend rule... if this was another forum, id get banned for not posting pics. glad this is a good community.