chopp

Looking to buy stereo system - Need help please

Hi guys,

I've been driving a lot more now and I was looking to get some better sounds since my current set up is factory.

I'm hoping to spend around $600 NZD (~$400 USD) on it all.

Here's what I've been looking at so far

Amplifier

Speakers

and

or

Head Deck Unit

or

or

Please note all those prices are NZD so they will look a bit higher then what you're used to if you're from USA.

If I did get this stuff, would it all work with each other?

My car is a Mitsubishi RVR, and I'm not exactly sure of the speaker sizes, any one know? I measured about 15.5cm for the rear, haven't checked the front speakers because I wanted to see if anyone knew before I removed the panels.

Can a 4 channel amp power 6 speakers total? 4x6" and 2 tweeters?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I've been driving a lot more now and I was looking to get some better sounds since my current set up is factory.

I'm hoping to spend around $600 NZD (~$400 USD) on it all.

Here's what I've been looking at so far

Amplifier

Speakers

and

or

Head Deck Unit

or

or

Please note all those prices are NZD so they will look a bit higher then what you're used to if you're from USA.

If I did get this stuff, would it all work with each other?

My car is a Mitsubishi RVR, and I'm not exactly sure of the speaker sizes, any one know? I measured about 15.5cm for the rear, haven't checked the front speakers because I wanted to see if anyone knew before I removed the panels.

Can a 4 channel amp power 6 speakers total? 4x6" and 2 tweeters?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

i dont know what size speakers fit your car but for the price of those type s speakers you could find some alpine type r coaxial s and find a type r component set for the same price of that fusion component set.

What kind of sound are you trying to produce?

are you only just looking to replace stock?

i dont know what size speakers fit your car but for the price of those type s speakers you could find some alpine type r coaxial s and find a type r component set for the same price of that fusion component set.

What kind of sound are you trying to produce?

are you only just looking to replace stock?

I measured about 15.5cm or 6.25" for the rear speakers.

The front door I think are about 6" or 6.5"

And the dash board speakers are about 10cm or 4".

There aren't many type of speakers where I'm from (New Zealand).

I did a quick search for the 3 way alpine but couldn't find any for the same price as those fusions.

I'm looking to play loud under ground hip hop and probably DnB so alot of bass.

I know a subwoofer is the way to go for that but I don't have enough money yet lol.

have you tried ebay? or sonicelectronix or woofersetc?

Thanks for these sites but shipping is around $80 at cheapest.

Look into the RE Coax speakers, they are cheap and sound very good.

What are RE Coax speakers? I know the coax is coaxial but the RE part I'm unsure of.

try and steer clear of fusion imo, they are made for looks, not performance. i have a set of 5.25" splits in my car at the moment, they needed resoldering of the spade connectors and resoldering of the terminal itself because it was so weak. the quality of materials used are low and lifespan isn't too great. i only got them cos they were on sale for $30, reduced from $180.

probably try to get something made in america or europe i reckon, ebay has some decent deals, you just have to search a bit. i'm also looking into getting this amplifier whcih is looking pretty good for a mere $98. http://tinyurl.com/2aottoe. don't expect 2000 watts from it, i'd doubt even 1000, seeing as it's only got a single 40 amp fuse :/ but for running some mids or splits up front off two channels, then bridging the two rear outputs for a sub, it shouldn't do too bad. that ebay seller is also selling some pretty cheap speaker sets, might want to have a look around in there.

see if you have a Acendent Audio dealer and pick up the AA havoc 6.5's. i had a 2 pair of the alpine type S 6x9 3way that sounded decent ran off a crunch 1000w amp. i agree about fusions sound like poo. instead of jumping in like everybody does with a hobby, take a few months and learn about the products and understand the audio world, in that time save up some more money. i know it will be hard for you to gain access to some equipment being from NZ and all but i'm sure you can work something out with a local custom shop.

try and steer clear of fusion imo, they are made for looks, not performance. i have a set of 5.25" splits in my car at the moment, they needed resoldering of the spade connectors and resoldering of the terminal itself because it was so weak. the quality of materials used are low and lifespan isn't too great. i only got them cos they were on sale for $30, reduced from $180.

probably try to get something made in america or europe i reckon, ebay has some decent deals, you just have to search a bit. i'm also looking into getting this amplifier whcih is looking pretty good for a mere $98. http://tinyurl.com/2aottoe. don't expect 2000 watts from it, i'd doubt even 1000, seeing as it's only got a single 40 amp fuse :/ but for running some mids or splits up front off two channels, then bridging the two rear outputs for a sub, it shouldn't do too bad. that ebay seller is also selling some pretty cheap speaker sets, might want to have a look around in there.

Thanks for the heads up on fusion, I have to admit I was drawn to them partly because they looked nice.

How do these compare as alternatives to the fusion components

Pioneer Pioneer TSC1602 - Online Car Audio - Bringing the future to you

JBL GT5-650C Speakers

And also, do you think it would be worth forking out a bit more cash for this

JBL GT5-A604 Amplifier

Thanks for all your replies guys, they all help me heaps! =D

Thanks for the heads up on fusion, I have to admit I was drawn to them partly because they looked nice.

How do these compare as alternatives to the fusion components

Pioneer Pioneer TSC1602 - Online Car Audio - Bringing the future to you

JBL GT5-650C Speakers

And also, do you think it would be worth forking out a bit more cash for this

JBL GT5-A604 Amplifier

Thanks for all your replies guys, they all help me heaps! =D

JBL have been making some pretty decent stuff for a long time, so have Pioneer. They're two close brands to choose from, in the end i'd say it comes down to the price and specs and the relationship between the two. I don't have much experience with lots of brands, i've only used fusion, pioneer, rampage (pieces of crap) and mtx in terms of car audio, but my Pioneer head unit is awesome, and i have a pair of old TS-A6995's 3 way 6x9's and they still perform exceedingly well for their age. So you'd have my vote if you were to buy the Pioneer components, but it'd be best to look at some other brands and post them up here for some of the more experienced guys to look at, cos my experience bank is limited :x

Edited by noidle22