Sign in to follow this  
skillbilly

02 wrx wagon build

Hey everyone,

Im in the process of building a new system in my 2002 WRX Sport Wagon.

1. Head unit: Pioneer Avic N1

2. Amp: Planet Audio BB175.4B

RMS Power (2 ohms) 195 WRMS x 4

RMS Power (4 Ohms) 140 WRMS x 4

Bridged Power (4 Ohms) 345 WRMS x 2

Signal-To-noise Ratio 102 DB

Frequency Response 20Hz - 20KHz

Dimensions: 6-1/2" W x 2" H x 16-5/8" L

FEATURES

Variable Bass Boost (0 To +12DB)

Switchable Input Sensitivity: 100mV-2V Or 2V-8V

Tri-Mode Operation

OBAC-1 Audio Enhancement System

Continuously Variable 18DB/Octave High And Low Pass Crossovers

Low Level Inputs And Output

3. Front Speakers: Kenwood KFC-P708 65 watts rms

4. Audio integrations SW10 Custom 10" sealed enclosure

5. Subwoofer

I have not picked the sub yet but im looking to spend about 150.00. im looking at the Rockford Fosgate T110D2 10" POWER T1 2-Ohm DVC Subwoofer. Im also looking at the JL audi W3v3-4. Im even entertaining the idea of running a sub at 2 ohm 195 rms off one channel for now with the option of picking up an additional sub and AI enclosure for the opposite side in the future. Im honestly not sure if two subs at 195rms 2 ohm will be worth the extra cash. Also im not sure if its good for the amp to run only one of the rear channels and if i can make the SQ good being just left or just right channel.

Design:

So far I plan to run the fronts off channel 1/2 and run the sub ( T110D2 ) off channels 3/4 bridged to 4 ohms @345 watts rms.

Since my amp is rated to 140 x 4 @ 4ohms im way over the acceptable rms for the front speakers. I would like to possibly run another set of the kenwood components up front hooked to the same channels. can i use the power for more speakers on the same channels all with crossovers to utilize the power or should i just turn down the gain? I lean towards a simple design for clean sound, but if a more complex design can produce the same clean sound then ill do it. It gets a little confusing for me when post amp crossovers get involved. I dont mind having a custom pod built for the door panels to accommodate this set up. one more thing, speaker baffles or dynamat? or both. I understand when upgrading the speakers from stock in the WRX panels i will need spacers for depth. the stock speakers have baffles and they would need to be removed with the stock speakers as it is all one unit i think. Ive read a lot about dynamat and its alternatives but havent really come to a conclusive answer except that Buytl is the preferred compound generally. I dont plan to use the rear door speaker location because they are 4" and i dont generally carry passengers. they can be upgraded to 5.25 using spacers but to my knowledge not to many 5.25 component sets exist that handle power at a reasonable price compared to 6.5's. if im wrong and using rear door speakers will help my front sound stage then please explain.

Also, my amp is a class D amp. The installation guide recommends installing a capacitor. is this necessary? Ive read a lots of people using them and swearing my them and lots in the opposite direction. I plan to upgrade my alternator and battery soon also and the Big 3. any suggestions for the alternator, battery ,wire combo for this vehicle would be great. ive heard of people using welding wire as a cheaper better alternative to wound cable. is this a good option?

Im looking to get the most out my existing amp/ component /box / n1 design as possible with SQ in mind. i enjoy very loud music at times and my preference are more towards heavy metal(pantera) and hip hop(50 cent, biggy,2pac)

I want the final product to be clean, and Oem-ish.

Thanks in advance for any help! :fing34:

Will

No cap. Otherwise, all good :popcorn:

Welcome .... trink40.gif

Pics will be required of the build log! peepwall.gif

:ttiwwop:

Ill take pics as soon as i begin the build. So far im just getting the pieces together. any ideas about the front speakers? should i go with 4 6.5s or just 2?

thanks