jlc1991

new sundown 3500 not putting out??

ok so in my blazer i had a rockford t1500 and four punch p3 12's in a correctly built ported box. i just got my new sundown 3500 and hooked it up and it is no where near as loud as my old t1500 was. i have ajusted the eq settings on the amp and everything properly and i have to turn my headunit ALL the way up with all the bass options all the way up for it to even be kinda loud. i know for a fact i have missed something here cause this amp should be raping my p3's. i have extra batterys in the back, the big 3, all 0 awg wire, my subs are wired down to 1 ohm right, H/O alt....etc. should i bridge the speaker terminals, like one positive channel and one negative? i need some help here cause this is frustrating me. This is how it is currently set up.

2010-06-13134602.jpg

2010-06-13134615.jpg

2010-06-13134633.jpg

can someone plz explain to me what im doing wrong.

double check your subs are wired right. what coils?

What volt HU you have? Where is ur gain and ssf(sub sonic filter) set to? How about ur lpf (low pass frequency)?

i know my subs are wired right . they are the dual 2 ohm versions and i wired them off the diagram on the12volt.com. my headunit is a pioneer premier 680. i believe it is a 4 volt pre out. the gain is set to inbetween a quarter and half the max. the subsonic filter is i believe set at about 30hz. and im not too sure of the lpf. i dont think that would have anything to do with the amp not doing power would it? i wanna try to put the positive speaker wire on the left channel and the negative speaker wire on the right channel but im not sure how the amp is internally wired and im scared that might send it into another ohm load lower than 1 ohm and void the warranty.

amp terminals are wired in paralle. it wont make ant differance

It will not matter where the wires are. They are internally wired together, ie right + is the same as left + same with negative terminals. There is only one channel you just have two sets inputs for ease of wiring multiple subs.

how did you set your gains? just guess?

Make sure the RCA's are hooked up to the inputs and not the Slave and Master RCA jacks.

i know my subs are wired right . they are the dual 2 ohm versions and i wired them off the diagram on the12volt.com. my headunit is a pioneer premier 680. i believe it is a 4 volt pre out. the gain is set to inbetween a quarter and half the max. the subsonic filter is i believe set at about 30hz. and im not too sure of the lpf. i dont think that would have anything to do with the amp not doing power would it? i wanna try to put the positive speaker wire on the left channel and the negative speaker wire on the right channel but im not sure how the amp is internally wired and im scared that might send it into another ohm load lower than 1 ohm and void the warranty.

i asked that same question a while ago about bridging my amp, and if i remember correctly i was told it is wired internally and it wont change anything. Try and turn your gain up a little more maybe a little above half way (thats where my gain is set) and when i have my gain set to under half way it doesent do much for me i also had to turn my HU up alot to get some more output.

when you tune ur amps make sure your HU settings are all the way up. when your done tuneing the amp then turn your HU settings down so you can have some headroom.

Make sure the RCA's are hooked up to the inputs and not the Slave and Master RCA jacks.

^^^^^^^this. ill bet money its this or the outputs Edited by willie7380

^^^^^^^this. ill bet money its this or the outputs

i have the rca's plugged in to the top left and bottom left inputs im pretty sure thats right correct? also yes as of now i just guessed on the gains. i cant get ahold of an o scope or anything of the sort until monday. but my point is, it should still put out sound lol its not even close to being as loud as my t1500 was on my subs.

i have the rca's plugged in to the top left and bottom left inputs im pretty sure thats right correct? also yes as of now i just guessed on the gains. i cant get ahold of an o scope or anything of the sort until monday. but my point is, it should still put out sound lol its not even close to being as loud as my t1500 was on my subs.

turn your gain up a little more! lol whats ur box tuned at?

Turn the gain up a good bit just to see if you get more volume.

Process of elimination at this point. Double check everything.

Yea that is right!

Do you have access to a DMM? If so check the impedence of the speakers at the amp to make sure you have a DCR somewhere near 1ohm.

my box is tuned at 36 hz and its 8.5 cubes net. also no i have no access to a dmm until monday. i just went outside and cranked the gain all the way and turned everything on my hu all the way up and it got fairly louder but still not as loud as it should be. im gonna get ahold of my buddy gene and see if he wants to mess around with it a bit. him and his cousin eric are pretty good with helping me out. maybe they can figure out what is going on, after all they do have a few world records lol in the meantime, could this be a problem inside the amp or something of that nature?

That amp should be giving you tons of volume! Best bet is to double check the wiring on the woofers to make sure they are not wired out of phase or maybe one of the coils is disconnected.

ok well im going to my parents house for dinner then ill come back and check the wires. i need to take a break from this, its starting to gett to me. thanks alot everyone for all the help and i will update this thread in a couple hours and let you guys know of any changes

A digital Multimeter is your friend here... break it out and check your final ohm load at the amp. You may think your wired right but best to double check :)

Then while your at it disconnect the speaker wires and hook your Multimeter up to the amp + and - speaker wire terminals and set it to this chart.

RMSchart.jpg

Edited by Hotdog69

Best bet is to double check the wiring on the woofers to make sure they are not wired out of phase or maybe one of the coils is disconnected.

This.

im going to guess your filters are attenuating the signal. give us a pic of the control side of the amp and tell us where you have set the dials i.e { 11:00 'o clock etc} not what you think the actual number is, because it's not linear in that way

but as a quick diagnosis, turn the ssf all the way counter clockwise, and the lp fully clockwise, and tell us if you have output that way

4_2ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

Make sure its wired EXACTLY like this.

ok guys heres the verdict lol i checked everything i could have possibly checked without having all the funky lil electronic gadgets. and everything was wired right. its not a problem with the amp but with the wired gain remote. when i unplugged the remote from the amp it got retarded loud!!!! i have to say im really relieved to find out that it was nothing mechanically wrong with the amp. i really appreciate all the help, support, and ideas you guys came up with. i checked everything i possibly could and low and behold it was the very last thing i checked. now my next question is do i contact the ssa store for the remote or do i try to get into contact with sundown or should i just let it go and now worry about the remote?