Sign in to follow this  
on1wheel06

Port Help Please

I have approximately 2.6ft^3 before displacements.

This box is for 2 DC Level 3 10s.

I'd like for the box to be tuned around 33hz, I planned on using a pvc/abs round port. What diameter should I use and how long should it be?

Picture4-1.png

I'd like for the box to be tuned around 33hz, I planned on using a pvc/abs round port. What diameter should I use and how long should it be?

Picture4-1.png

Throw a divider in the middle in case you ever blow a sub or something. Use 1 4" port per side 26 inches long. This will give you a net vol. of approx. 1.1 cuft per sub tuned a little higher than 33Hz You'll have about 11.4 square inches of port per cube. This is a little on the small side, but not by much. An aero would be great for this.

Only thing wrong with this is I forgot about woofer displacement.. OOPS.. how much volume do you subs displace???

if you don't want to wait for shipping on the aeros. Take a router and and a roundover bit and round the inside edges of the port!

Throw a divider in the middle in case you ever blow a sub or something. Use 1 4" port per side 26 inches long. This will give you a net vol. of approx. 1.1 cuft per sub tuned a little higher than 33Hz You'll have about 11.4 square inches of port per cube. This is a little on the small side, but not by much. An aero would be great for this.

Only thing wrong with this is I forgot about woofer displacement.. OOPS.. how much volume do you subs displace???

Again, I advise adding a divider in the middle. Use 1 4" port per side 30 inches long. This will give you about 0.88 cuft per sub of net vol. Tuned real close to 34 hz. Now you'll have around 14 square inches of port area per cube which is good. Only thing is i don't think you're goin to be able to fit a 30 inch long port. You may be able to put a 90 or two 45s to bend the port inside of the box.

if you don't want to wait for shipping on the aeros. Take a router and and a roundover bit and round the inside edges of the port!

i dont think you can take a router to pvc/abs pipe =P

Again, I advise adding a divider in the middle. Use 1 4" port per side 30 inches long. This will give you about 0.88 cuft per sub of net vol. Tuned real close to 34 hz. Now you'll have around 14 square inches of port area per cube which is good. Only thing is i don't think you're goin to be able to fit a 30 inch long port. You may be able to put a 90 or two 45s to bend the port inside of the box.

cant add a divider, the box is 19" on the drivers side bottom and 20 on the passenger side.

can i do two 3" ports?

Edited by on1wheel06

cant add a divider, the box is 19" on the drivers side bottom and 20 on the passenger side.

can i do two 3" ports?

Make it the same on both sides so the box is symmetrical and divide it. You won't loose much airspace, and the divider will be an awesome brace for the top piece.

3" ports are only 7 inches of port area per port.. I did the numbers.. 1.1 cuft per sub. 2 3" (one on each side) 14 inches long.. but its only like 6.5 sqaure inches of port per cube.. 3 inch aeros will be the way to go unless you can flare the 3" pvc.

Heat the end of the PVC with a torch. (careful not to burn it, just heat it)

use a bowling ball (for large ports) or funnel (for smaller diameters), push the heated pvc on the item to start the flare.

Finish it off by re heating the edges and forming the rest with a crescent wrench. (as a small hand brake)

test for uniform molding by setting the flare on a flat surface.

Remember to take you're time!!

Don't try to form it all perfect the first time you go at it.

If you go too fast the pvc will split or warp to an un-usable piece.

~or~ by aero ports.....

Heat the end of the PVC with a torch. (careful not to burn it, just heat it)

use a bowling ball (for large ports) or funnel (for smaller diameters), push the heated pvc on the item to start the flare.

Finish it off by re heating the edges and forming the rest with a crescent wrench. (as a small hand brake)

test for uniform molding by setting the flare on a flat surface.

Remember to take you're time!!

Don't try to form it all perfect the first time you go at it.

If you go too fast the pvc will split or warp to an un-usable piece.

~or~ by aero ports.....

Sounds like something fun to try! :fing34:

can i do two 3" ports?

Make it the same on both sides so the box is symmetrical and divide it. You won't loose much airspace, and the divider will be an awesome brace for the top piece.

3" ports are only 7 inches of port area per port.. I did the numbers.. 1.1 cuft per sub. 2 3" (one on each side) 14 inches long.. but its only like 6.5 sqaure inches of port per cube.. 3 inch aeros will be the way to go unless you can flare the 3" pvc.

im not too worried about the divider.

seem like aero's are what i need with my strict space requirements.

so how much net volume will i have with 2 3" aero ports tunned to 33hz?

my box is basically done so im stuck with it. haha...

DSC_0658.jpg

can i do two 3" ports?

im not too worried about the divider.

seem like aero's are what i need with my strict space requirements.

so how much net volume will i have with 2 3" aero ports tunned to 33hz?

my box is basically done so im stuck with it. haha...

DSC_0658.jpg

I see.. ha. The its basically gonna be the same as with the 3 inch ports , but you add another inch to the port length.

Do two 15 inch long ports (from flare to flare; i.e. end to end). You will still only have 6.5 square inches of port per cube. However, you can get away with a 50-75% port area reduction with aero ports because they significantly reduce port air speed. So since 12 square inches per cube is the minimal recommended port area per cube, 54% of this is 6.5 square inches of port area per cube. There you go; you are in the 50-75% range!!

This should be a clean sounding setup. You're going to downfire the subs? Port out the front or side?

Edited by Im Hung N ur Not

I see.. ha. The its basically gonna be the same as with the 3 inch ports , but you add another inch to the port length.

Do two 15 inch long ports (from flare to flare; i.e. end to end). You will still only have 6.5 square inches of port per cube. However, you can get away with a 50-75% port area reduction with aero ports because they significantly reduce port air speed. So since 12 square inches per cube is the minimal recommended port area per cube, 54% of this is 6.5 square inches of port area per cube. There you go; you are in the 50-75% range!!

This should be a clean sounding setup. You're going to downfire the subs? Port out the front or side?

just to clarify, what would be the volume after sub and port displacement?

im gonna upfire the subs and have the ports firing the drivers side.

the passenger side of the box is pretty close to the rear door...

DSC_0635.jpg

Sorry.. I didn't answer that. 1.1 cuft per sub. Remember this is a approximation, but a good one. You told me about 2.6 cuft total.. So I designed it assuming exactly 2.6 cuft total. So you'll probably have a +/- on the tuning of 1 hz at the very greatest. You won't be able to notice this though..

Idk about firing the ports just on one side.. You may get port loading because of the hump in the middle isn't going to allow the air on the passenger side to "see the port" as much as the air on the driver side. i would try to put one on either side of the box firing out of the front.. You can try to put both on the driver side and see how you like it. Or we could get a more experience member on here to help us decide.. Port tuning isn't hard for me now.. The hard part is deciding where to fire sub/port if you have options