w00tah

The Death and Autopsy of a 187 15"

So.....

I killed my 187. After almost 2 years of a Kicker KX400.1 (and I'll admit, I clipped it a lot), it finally died. One coil went, and I finished the other off with my new amp.

That said, here's the pics:

Without the gasket, right before surgery

100_3283.jpg

Minus one paper cone

100_3284.jpg

After removing the spiders and pulling out the former/coil. I was right about it unwinding, although it BARELY unwound.

100_3285.jpg

Another pic of the coil.

100_3286.jpg

And the worst part of the coil.

100_3288.jpg

The motor/gap.

100_3290.jpg

Close up of the char mark on the motor.

100_3291.jpg

Let this thread be a reminder of what not to do with a 187. Don't clip your signal and then play Juice Box on a 187. It doesn't like it.

Kef

That's sort of what I said. For what it's worth, I pushed it far beyond what any normal person would have. I beat on it for extended periods of time with a clipped signal. Hell, the only time I think it wasn't clipping was at lower volumes.

Oh well, time to step up to an LI.

Kef

well i appreciate you taking it apart and posting pics...now i dont have to kill mine just to see the insides... just a question though. is the center mental part the neo magnet? or is it the outer wall part that is the actual magnet

that is like a chamber for cooling of the VC then below that is the magnet.

The outer ring that is flat is the top plate that the frame is mounted to. The raised metal with the hole is the pole of the bottom plate. The motor isn't neo on the 187, it is dual 6.5" slugs of ferrite. That is, if I remember the diameter right. :P

Kef

Edited by w00tah

well i appreciate you taking it apart and posting pics...now i dont have to kill mine just to see the insides... just a question though. is the center mental part the neo magnet? or is it the outer wall part that is the actual magnet

Not a bit of Neodymium in there.

Indeed.

Shadow: I'm glad to post pics for others. They can learn what not to do from me.

That also said, I am putting an order in tomorrow for a new sub. I will make an update when I know what is going on with it.

Kef

Edited by w00tah

sorry about the neo guys :ehh:

You getting the LI? ... well i just saw your sig so i guess ill find out a little later.

Yeah i like the pics so i can get an idea of the internals of subs. Just like seeing how things work i guess... when you kill the next one plz do the same... just kidding dont kill it

I really don't see me killing the one I am ordering. I mean, I did get a more powerful amp than the one I had, but I really don't see myself killing it.

I am going to keep tight lipped about it though. Only one person online knows what I am ordering and he isn't saying anything. He is building the enclosure for it, that is the only reason he knows.

Kef

I am going to keep tight lipped about it though. Only one person online knows what I am ordering and he isn't saying anything. He is building the enclosure for it, that is the only reason he knows.

:popcorn:

Not a Warden. Oh how I wish it were though.

I will say it is overkill for my goals. Will it achieve them, yep, and then some.

I don't want to spoil the surprise though.

Kef

And with that said, I am going to be running said sub ported with about 600 watts RMS (and clean power this time) to it. It should get pretty loud and still be decent daily. My goal is a 130+ on the TL, which is with stock wiring, stock alt, and stock battery.

I don't think it is unachieveable.

Kef

im sure you will get 130. Im not sure what mine is at, but i think im close to 130 if not a little over. I really feel it in my ear and it makes them itch, and my hair and nose start to vibrate quite a bit...gotta love IA products

do they sell recones for the 187's ?

If I were optimistic, I would say that I could get a 40 out of my car, but I doubt it.

Just waiting for shipping updates.

Kef

And Lithium, I am not sure, but I am sure with shipping, it would almost be better getting a new one.

Kef

so the mystery woofer is..... :puzzled:

Probably having the glue dry. It went into production status as of today, according to Mike at Vertex.

Still staying a secret though, sorry. I want to get some numbers before I reveal it. Will (thegreatestpenn) on CA is going to be the one doing the metering on his TL.

I'm going to run it in the enclosure I have for a minute, then build a ported enclosure for it. The only downside, is I will have to do CRX style, since the height of my trunk is the limiting factor. Current enclosure is 2.0 sealed.

Kef

I do live somewhat close. Zanesville.

Once it is done, I will be glad to demo it for you.

Kef

Im up by Cleveland. I was just wondering when and where you are metering it at.

Demo would be sweet. This fall ill be in kent for school so i should be pretty close. I have the whole month of august before school starts that im down there so ill probably be pretty bored