i was woundering if you guys can give me some input will i tell a difference between using 12 gauge or 8 gauge for wireing my sub to my amp i have a 12" btl w/cooling daily d2ohm

ans i got a saz 2000d going to wire it down to one ohm

wow just realized i cant spell !!

Edited by icy_chris

How long are your speaker wire runs?

You won't be able to tell any difference

about 2-3ft runs

will you notice a difference Yes b/c the 12gauge is to small and you may have an issue down the road with fire lol!

look at it like this

12gauge can support 41 amps of current and at 1ohm that is 1681

and

8 gauge can support 73 amps of current and at 1ohm that is 5329

the ideal pic for wiring in the 2krms range is 10gauge it is what i used and i liked it!

10gauge can suport 55amps of current at 1ohm that is 3025

i was told at the audio store that if it is too small for my amp i will hear distortion or is that them trying to get my money

Edited by icy_chris

I retract my statement and agree with CrazyKenKid. Bigger wire doesn't cost much more and isn't going to have any negative effects.

Will you hear an audible difference from 12g to 10g? most likely not, competing, then maybe...

Edited by stefanhinote

i have 8 gauge it's just hard getting two into one terminal to wire the sub

i have 8 gauge it's just hard getting two into one terminal to wire the sub

just trim the ends a little.

will you notice a difference Yes b/c the 12gauge is to small and you may have an issue down the road with fire lol!

look at it like this

and

the ideal pic for wiring in the 2krms range is 10gauge it is what i used and i liked it!

Over what length are those ratings?

12 gauge will be fine.

umm not sure i was just going off the given amperate rating and the 1ohm load he mensioned from this site

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies

and yes i guess length would account a bit i guess

look at it like this

and

Over what length are those ratings?

12 gauge will be fine.

thank you for the input guys

The length matters greatly, in 2-3 foot lengths the 12 gauge is just fine.

look at it like this

and

At 2kw with a 3' run of wire you would see a voltage drop across the wire of .42V, which equates to .08db. How important is eight hundredths of a decibel?

12ga would be fine.

i was told at the audio store that if it is too small for my amp i will hear distortion or is that them trying to get my money

They are idiots.

I am also running 12 ga but will upgrading to 8 ga get me a little more dbs? This is on a aq3500d so by using 12 ga wire am I not getting full output from this amp? My wire run from the amp is 3 feet and under. What you guys think is it worth changing out?

I personally wouldn't bother

I am also running 12 ga but will upgrading to 8 ga get me a little more dbs? This is on a aq3500d so by using 12 ga wire am I not getting full output from this amp? My wire run from the amp is 3 feet and under. What you guys think is it worth changing out?

No way can having 8 gauge wire on your subwoofer magically give you db's, if that was the case everybody would do it. You can do the 8 gauge if you want to, its a personal preference and wont hurt the amp or sub by doing it so its up to you. If your competing then you can do it but for daily I wouldnt bother.

You are looking at around .05db....five hundredths of a decibel. The meter might round this up to one tenth of a decibel......so you might, might gain .1db on a meter.