Sign in to follow this  
BTL15

Is the Amp or Sub the problem

Hi my step brother has two phoenix gold octane 10s and a phoenix gold 2 channel amp, and when he has both subs hooked up the amp goes into protect mode but when only one is wired to it it plays fine but when u hook two up again it goes back into protect mode... occasionally it will play with both wired up but only for about 1 min. then it goes back into protect mode until 1 is unwired. is it the subs or amp (oh yea one of the subs sounds like its blown but still plays just distorted)

Sounds like the subs and the way you have them wired :peepwall:

if you have a dmm pull the subs out and check thier voice coills that will tel you if it's the subs.

if you have a dmm pull the subs out and check thier voice coills that will tel you if it's the subs.

aight thanks ill try that and see which it is but if it is the amp u have any clue what it could be

not to good with amps but if you open it up just check for any burnt or fouled conections is a start but other than that i'm lost hope that helps a bit

not to good with amps but if you open it up just check for any burnt or fouled conections is a start but other than that i'm lost hope that helps a bit

aight thanks i hope it just the subs...its all hand me downs from friend to friend so its not too valuable but i know he would love to keep the repair price down but thanks anyways

Listen to jaycee.

Put a DMM on the + and - speaker wires at your amp with the car off and check the load. I bet it is wired too low.

If the speaker still sounds blown, check the coils. You will know if one is shot immediately.

Listen to jaycee.

Put a DMM on the + and - speaker wires at your amp with the car off and check the load. I bet it is wired too low.

If the speaker still sounds blown, check the coils. You will know if one is shot immediately.

i know its not wired too low cuz i installed it for him and the subs are single 4 ohm coils and everything is just old he just wants to replace only what is broken so im trying to make sure what the problem is

Do you have the subs wired in parallel and bridged? Or one to each channel?

Do you have the subs wired in parallel and bridged? Or one to each channel?

one to each channel

When you just have one playing is it bridged or on one channel? If it is on one channel then switch it to the other channel and try it out there to see if both channels work individually. It sounds like one channel may be gone, if that is the case then it is the amp. If it is the amp then wire both subs to the working channel for a 2 ohm load. Hope that helps

When you just have one playing is it bridged or on one channel? If it is on one channel then switch it to the other channel and try it out there to see if both channels work individually. It sounds like one channel may be gone, if that is the case then it is the amp. If it is the amp then wire both subs to the working channel for a 2 ohm load. Hope that helps

we wired each channel individually/separately and both played but one was distorted like i said but i think it was the sub could it possibly have been just that one channel even though it still worked

Well do you have a DMM to test the subs coils to see what they read? If not then try the sub you think sounded distorted on each channel and that will tell you if it is the sub or amp.

Well do you have a DMM to test the subs coils to see what they read? If not then try the sub you think sounded distorted on each channel and that will tell you if it is the sub or amp.

yea i have a dmm but it my brothers setup and he lives about an hour away so the next time he comes down ill try it an see what it is