wutang512

Removing Fat Mat Extreme off the car?

So yeah basically about 2 yrs I installed Rattle Trap extreme in my car. Over the past few weeks its been extremely hot in san antonio and I noticed that there was something leaking out the side of my door. Doing further investigation i discovered it was the rattle trap extreme melting from the inside of the door through the drain holes in my door. So i decided i might as well remove this crap and then i noticed quickly it was too easy to remove it off the outside of my door panel. But as I was about to begin removing it on the inside of the door i realized it was way too hard using physical strength.

Anybody know the best way to remove the rattle trap extreme and clean off all the melted asphalt stains off the door?

could i get the acetone from walmart? I heard some people used denatured alcohol as well.

But since I Wasted about $120 on this crap imma go ahead and order some tiles from SDS and do this right and not deal with this again.

My fatmat is falling off my trunk lid and rear deck more and more everyday as summer goes on. I'm pulling it all out soon and gonna get some cld tiles from sds also. He told me to use mineral spirits to get the residue the fatmat leaves behind off. Then wipe down the surface with denatured alcohol to wipe away any oils left behind.

Edited by zack w

Because FatMat is asphalt based, where quality products like SecondSkin and SDS are butyl based :)

Because FatMat is asphalt based, where quality products like SecondSkin and SDS are butyl based :)

well thats what happens when you dont do enough research or background checks on companies.

You know its a bad company when you call their number and they only take sells transactions and if you wanna talk to someone you gotta leave a message.

I gave up trying to get some type of compensation from them. They asked for pictures of the melting and I sent them and they responded back with they couldnt see the pictures. I sent them another batch of pictures in another format and they never answered back.

Ahhh the joys of asphalt based deadener and the mess they leave.

Good luck removing that garbage. BigJon gave some great advice.

So yeah basically about 2 yrs I installed Rattle Trap extreme in my car. Over the past few weeks its been extremely hot in san antonio and I noticed that there was something leaking out the side of my door. Doing further investigation i discovered it was the rattle trap extreme melting from the inside of the door through the drain holes in my door. So i decided i might as well remove this crap and then i noticed quickly it was too easy to remove it off the outside of my door panel. But as I was about to begin removing it on the inside of the door i realized it was way too hard using physical strength.

Anybody know the best way to remove the rattle trap extreme and clean off all the melted asphalt stains off the door?

Use goo b gone. The stuff works wonders when removing sound deadeners.

Asphalt is a petroleum based product, so alcohol based removers won't work as well as petroleum based removers. If it were on the outside of the vehicle I would suggest mineral spirits or kerosene. Perhaps you could still use them if you leave the car outside with the doors open for a good while.

Edited by sandt38

Asphalt is a petroleum based product, so alcohol based removers won't work as well as petroleum based removers. If it were on the outside of the vehicle I would suggest mineral spirits or kerosene. Perhaps you could still use them if you leave the car outside with the doors open for a good while.

I agree

Use goo b gone. The stuff works wonders when removing sound deadeners.

Goo B Gone works wonders on getting stingy things off a lot of surfaces.

not to mention toxic

I guess that's pretty conclusive evidence that Rattle Trap, like regular FatMat, is asphalt.

On a vertical surface like the inner door skin, a heat gun and scraper of some kind is probably your only choice. Mineral spirits will clean off the asphalt residue and denatured alcohol will clean up any remaining oily residue. I'd be careful about using acetone - it can take the e-coat, primer or paint right down to bare metal in one swipe.

If you have any on horizontal surfaces like the floor or trunk or hatch floor, dry ice might be worth trying. Sometimes putting pieces on the material for a few minutes will freeze it enough that it will just shatter off cleanly when you whack it with a mallet. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but if it does work it's so much easier than the alternative that it's worth the shot. It's also fun to play with dry ice.

where do i find mineral spirits though? Walmart?

Last time I needed some late on a Sunday night, I found it a Walmart in a plastic quart container. Home Depot or other hardware stores have it in gallon and quart cans. It should be in the paint department with other solvents.

where do i find mineral spirits though? Walmart?

I buy mine at Lowes or Home Depot by the gallon. It will be right where the paint is. Last time I bought some it was about $8 a gallon. But that was 6 or 7 years ago. I bought 5 gallons at the time, so I haven't needed to get any for quite a while.

I talked to Don today and he asked me to take some measurements of my doors so he can cut the right size of the MLV for me to cut down on shipping .

Already good customer service and I havent even bought anything :drink40: