Sign in to follow this  
caintrain

Trouble Setting amp gains

it is a trunk install and it is in a 3.5 cube box....calculated on RE calc. I know this is bad and since i have made a box calc and have gained substantial knowledge through this site. the box cant get any bigger and fit in the trunk tho.

Is that NET volume or gross volume?

How much port areea, and to what is it tuned to?

Because the BTL doesn't sounds loud enough to you doesn't means it's not getting the 1700 watts.

Actually, as stated above by KU40 and myself, the sub will likely never reach it's full output potential. However, that is not an issue with the amp, it is simply how dynamic impedance functions in a loudspeaker system.

The bottom line is, the amp is set with the DMM and is showing the proper voltage. This being the case, we can rest assured the amp is set up to deliver the proper power. Now he needs to focus on the real reason for it not being as loud as he thinks it should be... Install

it is a trunk install and it is in a 3.5 cube box....calculated on RE calc. I know this is bad and since i have made a box calc and have gained substantial knowledge through this site. the box cant get any bigger and fit in the trunk tho.

Because the BTL doesn't sounds loud enough to you doesn't means it's not getting the 1700 watts.

that is net and tuned to 32 hz...the problem is that i calculated on re calc so both of those numbers are way off im sure

Actually, as stated above by KU40 and myself, the sub will likely never reach it's full output potential. However, that is not an issue with the amp, it is simply how dynamic impedance functions in a loudspeaker system.

The bottom line is, the amp is set with the DMM and is showing the proper voltage. This being the case, we can rest assured the amp is set up to deliver the proper power. Now he needs to focus on the real reason for it not being as loud as he thinks it should be... Install

I am trying to make sure the amp is not the problem...he bought it used from a kid that had the level turned ALL the way up, thats why I am trying to figure the amps so i can get the wattage...the reason i think it should be louder is because with everything the same except sub and amp, he had a BL with a hifonics 1600 and it was louder than this is now, that is where i am getting how loud i think a btl "should be"....i dont know how loud it should be but i know it should be louder than a BL

Right. You gotta tell us what boxes the BL and BTL are in, otherwise this whole comparison thing is worthless. And if you don't think the calculations are right for the BTL box, why don't you tell us so we can verify? You gotta give us something to work with here. It's impossible to solve a problem if you don't even know the variables.

Right. You gotta tell us what boxes the BL and BTL are in, otherwise this whole comparison thing is worthless. And if you don't think the calculations are right for the BTL box, why don't you tell us so we can verify? You gotta give us something to work with here. It's impossible to solve a problem if you don't even know the variables.

Don't get me wrong guys...I sense you are getting annoyed, and I really respect and need your opinions...I am just trying to understand everything and I am getting frustrated. Thank you for all of your input it has been a world of help.

The external dimensions are:

H: 16

W: 30

D: 20

Port width: 3

Port length:22

I think this is close to 3.6 cubes, at close to 32Hz

Looks about right, I get 3.5 cubes at 35 hz with winISD though.

Will it matter if the amp ground is 5 awg, and the power is 4?

put 0 gauge.. let the energy flow free. dont choke it.

How about your RCA cables, have you inspected them and made sure they are good? Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Do you have both your RCA cables plugged into the amp? Preferably both of them is needed. That could be the problem. What test tone are you using to set the gains? What are your other settings on the amp set on? What size speaker wire are you using for the sub?

Edited by raolito

did anything change when you trade the rockford 1500 for the sundown 1000.. since josh thought the amp was broke because it clipped at just low gain.