Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

My new babies!

So about how much would a 17ft spectrum 1a cable run? :D

Also, with the omni wire, would it make subs sound better too? or is it mostly for mids/highs? Same with the rca's?

20 posts and no one has even scratched the surface of my question. I do see how wire can affect sound becase we are not talking about sound we are talking about electrical impulses. So if you build a better highway for the signal to pass through then you can improve sound especially over a long run. BUT, I don't care about some obscure ultra fidelity $20K or even $200 wire what I want to know are what are the features that are within the realm of a sain persons wallet that will get part of the way to the $$$$ wire but substantially better than the walmart wire? X amount of stands? Sheilded? Some mytickal uber coppper? Magic fairy dust? What????

20 posts and no one has even scratched the surface of my question. I do see how wire can affect sound becase we are not talking about sound we are talking about electrical impulses. So if you build a better highway for the signal to pass through then you can improve sound especially over a long run. BUT, I don't care about some obscure ultra fidelity $20K or even $200 wire what I want to know are what are the features that are within the realm of a sain persons wallet that will get part of the way to the $$$$ wire but substantially better than the walmart wire? X amount of stands? Sheilded? Some mytickal uber coppper? Magic fairy dust? What????

Are you looking for interconnects or simply speaker wire? The speaker wire Nick is using isn't all that esoteric in price -- just $1.75 a foot. While thats far from cheap it's not exactly a few grand like some of the "big boy" hi-fi wires.

As for fancy RCAs... I don't have an answer. I haven't had a chance to check out Nick's new RCAs and do an A/B comparison. I would assume similar issues would be importat such as the process through which the copper is constructed and it's geometry. If you are looking at something under $200 I would wager most of the interconnects are roughly equivalent.

Both speaker and RCA's. Absolutly less than $200 wires. Well if they are all the same then what are some good examples of which ones to buy or they are all the same that I could get some cheap wires from home depot and they would be the same as brand x so long as we are talking less than $200?

Both speaker and RCA's. Absolutly less than $200 wires. Well if they are all the same then what are some good examples of which ones to buy or they are all the same that I could get some cheap wires from home depot and they would be the same as brand x so long as we are talking less than $200?

Most 'run of the mill' speaker wire is pretty much all the same as long as it's oxygen free copper. The wire Nick is using at $1.75 a foot is pretty much the first step up from the regular stuff that actually makes a difference at all.

As for RCAs... just look for twisted pair with good shielding and sturdy/snug fitting connectors. Thick insulation doesn't hurt either, if not just to prevent physical damage to the wires. My verdict is still out on RCAs until I hear Nick's new stuff, I wasn't sold on his wire until he did an A/B for me either :)

Ask Jake about "not even going to go there" and SQ with cables.  I was once standing in your same shoes until I heard the difference.  Saying cables don't make a difference is like saying a speaker is a speaker - they all do the same thing.  :D

Until you sit down and hear a cable vs. another cable on the same system (i.e., a good cable vs. a normal cable) don't say that a cable is just a cable.  Another analogy is "an amp is an amp."

I knew this was going to come to this thread and I find it quite funny.  It's interesting to see such biast views on cable when most people who bash cable have yet to hear a really good pair of speaker wires or interconnects.  As I said before, I have been there, done that.  I bashed high-end cable with the best of them.  "It's science."  (Anchorman plug)  Science has proved that there is no difference in cable...so that should be it, right?  Wrong.    :poop:

:) Agreed......I can say honestly you get what you pay for!! That goes for subs, amps, wire or anything in the middle.

Nick

:) Agreed......I can say honestly you get what you pay for!! That goes for subs, amps, wire or anything in the middle.

Nick

women too :)

oh yeah, :+1: on the wires. hard to believe such a small component can make such a difference, but it really does.

solid core = more resistance, correct? isn't that something a person wants to stay AWAY from?

aren't most interconnects solid core? round sure, but solid anyway. so how does rectangular differ from the round, other then shape?

as to speaker wire, shouldn't one just look at strand count? surely one wouldn't want solid core in this, or am i misreading something? and if it's stranded, shouldn't one just look at strand count, like power wire?

i'm not saying that wire won't make a difference in sound, i know it will in output. but like psycho, i want to understand why it's going to make a difference. i'm sure stuff like purity of the copper/silver/gold is going to make a big difference, as well as density. but is that all there is too it? is that what makes these tara cables that much better?

i have read some on the website, but again, like psycho, i don't want the smoke and mirror marketing explaination. i'd like the "bare wire", if you will, necessities of the subject.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I hate having to re-type this ;) but I'll send out a demo piece to someone / some people and listen for yourselves. Bashing wire you've never heard on the internet isn't going to get results posted. Paying for shipping one-way on a small bit of wire is worth it IMO.

As for an explanation to why it works the way it does, TL's web page is the best I can come up with. Quite frankly, I don't care how they do it. I just like the results.

Well, like i said before, if i had something to test the wire with i would.

Word of mouth is only so great, then you want to see/hear it yourself.

http://www.taralabs.com/images/proprietarytech.pdf

This PDF should help immensely... it makes good sense, actually.

Man that made things worse, seems contradictory to me. Maybe you guys can start a demo ring with long enough cables that they would work in a few guys systems. I wish I had a system that was so good I could hear what the cable has to offer.

http://www.taralabs.com/images/proprietarytech.pdf

This PDF should help immensely... it makes good sense, actually.

Man that made things worse, seems contradictory to me. Maybe you guys can start a demo ring with long enough cables that they would work in a few guys systems. I wish I had a system that was so good I could hear what the cable has to offer.

If you have any specific confusions about the PDF let me know and I'll see what I can do.

In the case of this wire... you would probably hear it on even a moderatly good system. The difference I heard with Nick's A/B demo was not subtle at all.

I think 20' is plenty for one side of any system. I'll send that out instead of the 10' piece if enough people are interested. So far only one person has shown moderate interest.

Im 1 step closer, i have a H/U with a face...w00t w00t

I think 20' is plenty for one side of any system.  I'll send that out instead of the 10' piece if enough people are interested.  So far only one person has shown moderate interest.

Is that only speaker wire or also an RCA? And how could we do the test? For instance take my car, I have an old alpine head, a pair of premium MB quarts that are not in the best positions, an audiocontrol epicenter, a hifonics series VIII callisto crossover, a hifonics series VIII vulcan and boltar and SS 12" RL-p. Would this system be sufficiently nice to hear a difference? Would this difference be specific to a certain type of music or quality of recording? Also for this to be done right I would really need to replace all wire, including the short run from the passive crossovers to the tweet and mid so some wire chopping would have to happen. Then there is both sides, you can't really compare you system with only one side working. So we would all need to agree on set lengths that everyone could use, you would have to be willing to chop the wire. And of course we need some more audiophile types (because I am a base....err I mean basshead). Anyone, anyone?

You would need to have the entire run re-ran. Any crap wire in the wire path will completely ruin it. If people have home systems it would be good to test in your home on one channel if you can't do it in your car.

And I'm only talking about sending out speaker wire. My RCA's are too expensive to send out. Sorry. :( ...unless someone wants to give me a credit card number to hold and then I'll send them out. :)

Which speaker wire did you get as there are a few omni's and where did you get it for $1.50 a foot and for what guage?

I work for DAS Audio here in NC who is a direct dealer. The is only Omni ST, Omni 2, and Omni 3 in the stereo versions. The difference is 16 awg, 14 awg, and 12 awg. We have the most common in stock, the 16 awg. The new pricing is $2 a foot also.