Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

My new babies!

You guys have to understand Nick though. He wants the best of everything. Nothing half-assed, no compromises. I find that a plus though. If he weren't that way, we'd have mediocre drivers.

I want to know what makes one wire better than another. Not to argue but I want to learn. There is no way I can afford $180 wire so I want to see if I can find something comparable with the same feature set and a lower price. And I know I can read the site but these companies put out so much smoke and mirrors that I don't know what really makes a diff and what does not. And then does it matter only in certain music types. I mean I love Jimmy but can it really get clearer or is this a mozart only type of thing? Is the difference like going from tape to CD?

exactly my thoughts

Tara Labs' big thing is their rectangular solid core construction. See, they own their own copper mine and they form/melt/whatever their copper using a rectangular pattern (not the stranded crap that everyone else uses) that helps with bass response and midrange clarity.

The Prism 100a is still a great cable, although it is technically Tara Labs bottom of the line and it retails for $30 for a 4m pair. The Prism 300a's are $45 for a 4m pair, and the entry Spectrum 1A's are $90 for a 4m pair. Bumping up to the Spectrum's is well worth it.

If anyone wants to demo the speaker cable, all you have to do is pay for shipping both ways. I'll send out a 10' piece of Omni speaker cable for those who want to put it on one channel of their system and try it out. Maybe start a cable demo ring? :)

If anyone wants to demo the speaker cable, all you have to do is pay for shipping both ways.  I'll send out a 10' piece of Omni speaker cable for those who want to put it on one channel of their system and try it out.  Maybe start a cable demo ring?  :)

Get my email?? :D

Yep.  'Got her all packaged and ready to be shipped out to you tomorrow.  :)  Want come cable with it?

Many thanks... :slayer:

Sure, why not...I'll give 'er a whirl. :)

Tara Labs' big thing is their rectangular solid core construction.  See, they own their own copper mine and they form/melt/whatever their copper using a rectangular pattern (not the stranded crap that everyone else uses) that helps with bass response and midrange clarity. 

The Prism 100a is still a great cable, although it is technically Tara Labs bottom of the line and it retails for $30 for a 4m pair.  The Prism 300a's are $45 for a 4m pair, and the entry Spectrum 1A's are $90 for a 4m pair.  Bumping up to the Spectrum's is well worth it.

cool cool.

Thats all i needed to know.

I would do the " demo" but i dont have any working midranges :(

Hey Nick, I believe you but i think it would be nice since you so strongly adhere to what you say about cables is to either do two things: 1, give use some cables to use so we may hear the difference, or 2, quit rubbing it in our faces how much money you're making off all those people buying Mags that you can actually afford cables like these... :D:P:P:lol2: nah but I think more people would definitely know if they have the spare cash sitting around. Me, i'll stick with my 10$ ones and be happy knowing I spend my other 170$ on my girlfriend thus insuring atleast a month of no hassles for not spending enoug time with her.

do you know of any online dealers? im looking for speaker wire. Is the RSC any better than the prism? i need 2 cables and minimum of 3 ft long. How much would that run me?

My Canare 4S11 was the most expensive I'd go for speaker wire :D

Speaker wire and RCA's are two completely different things. :) TL Omni speaker wire retails for $1.50/foot. Definitely worth the money...especially compared to the typical crap that is on the net.

So is my knukonceptz wire and rcas I have bought in the past crap lol

Na Nick, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine just happens to differ from you on this. I have A/B'd different speaker wire/ rcas in home and in car... and although I wouldn't buy the cheapest crap I could find.. Knukonceptz or Stinger Dream Line or whatever its called is as extravagant as I venture there now.

I have used PG and Dayton in my home.. PG is just what I had left over one time.... and IXOS has been tried... and others.. But for home purposes I usually go with Dayton interconnects... cheap but now that cheap.

The Tara Labs entry wire is well above the Stinger Dream Series or Dayton wire. :) ...I'll put it to you guys this way - I ran Tributaries 12 gauge speaker wire for about 6 months until I heard the Tara Labs 16 gauge wire and now I have about 50' of Tributaries wire laying around not being used. I don't like bad mouthing any product like this, but Tributaries is crap compared to the Omni Tara Labs.

Tara Labs Omni speaker wire is $1.75 per foot.

swc204, it all depends on what you want to upgrade. You'll need RCA's to go from your receiver to your amp, and speaker wire to go from your amp to your sub and also wire to go from your receiver to your speakers. You'd be a great candidate to demo a speaker wire and put it on one channel of your receiver and leave your current wire on the other channel. :)

nice cables! Why all the fuss??? I'm personally happy with my $40 rca's & entry level speaker wire cause I have enough $ left to put gas in my car & buy groceries! I'm a noob to car audio & don't know how much I'd advocate spending on cables, but in HT, cables make a HUGE difference. I didn't know this until I heard for myself. Listened to a HT system wired with Audio Magic & HOLY CHIT! I was a believer. Like night & day over entry level. Just can't afford anything like that. As far as gold cables I believe Siltech & Transparent both make them. If $180 isn't enough for y'all, you can pick up a 3meter set of Siltech G6 sig rca's for $25,000.00 or Transparent mm's for $19,000.00. Tara Labs is a little more reasonable at $16,000.00 for Zero. Anyway, if you can afford & have an audiophile ear, $180 is nothing. More power to ya & enjoy! :D

If you have $16,000 or $25,000 to spend on cables you better have some VERY VERY VERY nice gear. I forgot what the percentage was on how much you should spend for cables for your HT. But even then, i would just use optical out for the audio :D

I don't know...I'm still not convinced. The wiring I ended up with costs about as much as the Omni's, and the Klarity Kables were around $40 for a few sections of it, but I bought them for the construction quality, not the SQ merits.

Can you really say that your cable made your system more dynamic, opened up the soundstage, etc? Personally, I have a hard time seeing how they can :/

I would swap out speakers, amplifiers, etc...before even considering cables as a way to change the dynamics of the system.

yup, I agree, make sure your amp/speakers etc are in order first. Not to get off topic, but I think the car audio enviroment has many other factors that need to be addressed first as compared to HT. My car system which is my first "real" sytem breaks down to 40% Speakers/subs, 30% 2nd amp (already had 1 amp from years ago not counted), 25% hu, & that left 5% & some serious budget shopping for wire/cable! Box build was not included so Lowes card for early B-day present came in handy! HT is generally up to 10% budget for cables, so as Supa said, unless you have some seriously high end gear it won't matter. I have heard the diff cables can make, but as I will never have an $80k+ system it's a moot point for me. I seriously doubt in my car that I would hear much diff between budget or high end wire. At least not enough to justify the extra $. Anyway, I found HT to be very frustrating at times & not the most enjoyable, but am totally hooked on the car audio now & having fun! Hopefully someday I'll have the know how & setup to compete. :rockwoot:

hmmm wasn't the original thread starter just someone showing the new rca cables they got? oh well, can't remember! :lol2:

How does one even sell " SQ" speaker wire ?

does it have magic dust in it or something ?

You got me... I suspect they use fibutron (where is Hollis?!).

Don't ask me what they did to the wire, but I will tell you with 100% certainty that Nick's fancy speaker wire sounded audibly different than his standard speaker wire.

I didn't want to admit it since I haven't been able to find any reason why the wire should sound any different. But it's to the point where I may end up buying some for myself.