Sign in to follow this  
Supa_c

Summit Racing brand exhaust components

Ive been looking online for headers/catback for the burb.

I noticed that Summit has pretty cheap headers as well as cat backs.

Is it worth it ?

I definetly dont want flowmaster mufflers/catback because I HATE the sound that they make.

P.S

I was also told that going with a 1 5/8" header pipe would be better than a 1 1/2" pipe for flow reasons.

The only company that offers the 1 5/8" headers for a decient price is Edelbrock.

The majority of them offer 1 1/2" header pipe inc Summit.

Remember, im poor.

summit>jegs :domoslay:

Just anf FYI, but Flowmasters or any other muffler for that matter will have a similar tone, but still a different sound on different vehicles.

With that out of the way. . .

Even the 1-1/2" header will be a major improvement over the stock cast iron design. The smooth tubing and bends will increase the airflow over the rough cast. Bigger is not always better, but if possible, I would suggest the step up to 1-5/8" if the budget allows. No large than that unless you up displacement or radically change the engine. You have to keep some backpressure and velocity within the headers themselves.

As for the Summit parts, Undercar Digest lists Walker as their major OEM supplier for exhaust parts. Walker is the manufacturer of Dynomax. Take that however you want. They do a lot of OEM supply.

Depends on what you are looking for. Tirefryr is correct in that going too large without some lumpy cams and other pieces will reduce your acceleration, but 1 5/8" is definetely not too large even for stock cams, injectors, and timing curves. Most importantly is again that you get something with smooth transitions that is made from bent tubing instead of being cast. Generically less bends is better as well.

Are you looking for a little more grunt, more real exhaust sound or what is the push to buy headers?

Ya, i know flow masters sound different on different vehicles (mustangs) but everyone and their mother has flowmasters on their burb where i live.

Im not going to do a cam swap, higher lb injectors. Tmming is electronic as far as i know. Just bolt ons for now

Basically looking to get the best MPG and a lil extra HP out of the truck.

I reciently bought a FIPK for it off of ebay, should be at my home today or monday

My main question would be....

Is it worth it to go to the 1 5/8 header from edel brock for $309 or just use the summit one for $170. Thats if its emmissions legal

IMO if you don't swap out the cats, save the money and get the smaller header.

Of course if it were me, I would get the bigger headers and do the other stuff too. Warning, they are sort of a beyotch to get on.

Cats are staying. Not gonna mess with the emissions.

heard good things about summit, and i like my flowmaster

I dont like flowmaster.

I know they make good stuff but im not a fan of the exhaust note.

Simple V8 rumble is all i need

If all you need is rumble, skip the headers. The shorties are not going to make a distinguishable difference in sound. Longtubes, that's another story.

As far as CARB goes, do they have to actually be certified or can you use non-CARB certified products if you still pass emissions?

Im not really concerned about sound from the exhaust. Thats what the muffler is for :)

I believe you need CARB legal products, they need a number for the headers when you get it smogged.

You know how stupid my neighbours are

" quit that exhaustin"

If you are just doing headers, the power won't be that much different and the mpg neither--probably enough to pay for the headers in a 100k miles or so. And as Tirefryr said unless you go with the long tubes the sound won't change much either.

When you say "rumble" I do picture long competition headers with big tubes running through a sort of stock muffler and high flow cat. Something like that will sound nearly stock at running RPM's with some more throat, but at idle you might have enough lows to set off car alarms. Plus the bonus is then it will allow you to go overboard on the rest of the engine and not have the exhaust be the weak link.

Oh and about Summit. They are great. I have ordered a couple sets of pistons, headers, tranny parts, and all sorts of other things from them. Shop around though as they aren't always the best deal, but they are definetely good to work with.

Not gonna just do headers, cat back as well. As said in my 1st post.

The thing about long headers is that they are not street leagal or smogable.

Really, the exhaust note isnt of importance to me, just as long as its not annoying(flowmaster).

So far, i havent found a pair of headers for $170 with free locking header bolts

Sorry, what I meant by just headers was just exhaust. For more power/better mpg the engine needs to breath better on both ends. The exhaust will help, but matching the improvements on the intake side will round it out.

Already have the intake system covered

K&N FIPK ;)

Just wondering......

Which would have a more beneficial increase in power...

cat back or headers ?

The stock pipe diameter is 3"...i dunno if that helps any

Ive got money and i want to spend it

P.S

I really hate flowmaster mufflers, except on Mustangs, they sound sweet on them especially when you gun it

I'd say headers, but then it's still limted gains and will vary between applications.

I put shorties on my Cobra and only gained 3 HP, but 13ft/lbs.

Put long tubes on and gained 18HP, but lost some lowend torque, but my peak number was up by 3 ft/lbs.

Added an off-road pipe and catback and gained another 22HP, but lost 5 ft/lbs peak and some 15+ft/lbs from 1500-3200.

Personally, I'd go with the catback route to get the sound if nothing else. Then upgrade the headers lately. The sound will improve again, and you should see and feel the power gains.

I used the summit brand shorties on a fullsiez chevy I had a few years ago. They fit good, and mated up to the factory Y pipe just right. We dont have smog here, so I *mis-placed* the cat.conv. when installing all new exhaust.

Something to consider - larger tube headers do make a difference on low-end torque (makes it go away!). Some people may not be able to tell too much a difference, but it does effect it.

I'd say cat-back first, then headers...

fwiw