Sign in to follow this  
VarinaBassing

New box builder

Ok i have always used areo ports and now i want to try a slot. I have used a few calculators and they tell me my length needs to be 23in long for the tune i want what length are they referring to? Overall length of the port ? Can some one please help lol I am looking to build a 5cube box for 4 sa 10s tuned to 35-36 htz I figured with the displacement of the subs and port i woul need a gross volume of 5.8cubes that would bring the net volume down to 5-5.1 right ? So far i have gotten the measurements from the calculator width-45in heigth-20in depth-14in. This box is going in a quad cab ram so i have space. Am i right with these measurements? and i am shooting for a mix of loud with some musical so i wanted to stay around 68-70 squared port area ? How wide should the port be ? I was thinking 4in but not sure And this is when that length deal comes into play...

Thanks In advance

Reggie

Ok i have always used areo ports and now i want to try a slot. I have used a few calculators and they tell me my length needs to be 23in long for the tune i want what length are they referring to? Overall length of the port ? Can some one please help lol I am looking to build a 5cube box for 4 sa 10s tuned to 35-36 htz I figured with the displacement of the subs and port i woul need a gross volume of 5.8cubes that would bring the net volume down to 5-5.1 right ? So far i have gotten the measurements from the calculator width-45in heigth-20in depth-14in. This box is going in a quad cab ram so i have space. Am i right with these measurements? and i am shooting for a mix of loud with some musical so i wanted to stay around 68-70 squared port area ? How wide should the port be ? I was thinking 4in but not sure And this is when that length deal comes into play...

Thanks In advance

Reggie

on a slot port you figure your own port area depending on the design of the box. so you could do 5.5"x12.5" on the opening to get your 68" square inches of port. the length is how long the port is (how deep it goes into the box)

plugging in the 45x20x14 into BBP6 minus the port displacement and .75" thick exterior walls im only showing 4.8 cubes. port is 5.5x12.5x24.5" long at 36hz. thats just rough numbers tho.

what calculator are you using?

the 12volt one so i would need it to go 12.5 in into the box? then that 24 is the board that runs along the back

the 12volt one so i would need it to go 12.5 in into the box? then that 24 is the board that runs along the back

negative

the port opening is the hole in your box. so you would have a port opening 5.5"x12.5". so instead of the normal 4" round circle, you have a rectangle 5.5"x12.5". the depth is 24.5" so you could reach your arm into the opening 24.5" inches deep

I was going to do subs up port up. I see wat your saying now But how would that work for me ??

I was going to do subs up port up. I see wat your saying now But how would that work for me ??

i dunno. you said width, height, and depth so im assuming you have measured your truck to get those measurements. if you want all the subs up, you need enough surface area to mount them all. you would have to lay the box pictured down on its back and run the port a different way.

if i were building this box for this truck, i would build it as pictured, port up subs forward, with a 1.5" thick face and increase the size a little to add bracing and 45s on the corners.

i never done a truck box but i read subs up port up helps to be louder. I havent measured i have a lot of room about 24 in high 48 wide and 20 deep if i need it

Ok i ownload tat calculator and is helping but how long do i makethe board in the back is there a way to tell ?

Hey Variana, Please don't bump your threads constantly. Why don't you just use aeroports again? Nothin' wrong with them, I've always seen in trucks subs forward port up.

but how long do i makethe board in the back is there a way to tell ?

math?

youll need to do a little planning and some math and make your own cut sheet. the dimensions are going to depend on how you lay your panels out. if you are having trouble with this part i would suggest getting a box built to your specs by one of the sponsors here or perhaps a local shop. if you cant get the math figured out you are going to end up messing up some cuts and spending a lot more on wood

ok i used an ssa xcon box design to show u this. the "L" shaped board i made "lime green" in the pic is the "PORT LENGTH". from the front edge of the box to the very end of that "L" is your length. and the "RED" line i made is your "width". also the 12volt calc is crap. i've used every box and port calc's online seeing as i'm cheap and would rather have an ugly box then pay a bunch of money to have one built. i am still trying to completely figure that torrez one out but from what others have said its a very good one. the only other one i found thats closest to being right is the RE box calc which is simple and here's a link. RE Enclosure Calculator

on this calc just put your dimensions where the numbers are red. and on port length, width, etc. just play with the widths and lengths till you get a tuning ur happy with. if its for daily i recommend 33hz-37hz. i tuned at 30hz it was only good for lows.then i tuned at 40hz and didnt hit the lows like i wanted. then i went with 33hz which fosgate recommends for my sub and it was perfect for my sub and other 15's i tried in this box

inside_small2.jpg

Edited by aimone

ok i used an ssa xcon box design to show u this. the "L" shaped board i made "lime green" in the pic is the "PORT LENGTH". from the front edge of the box to the very end of that "L" is your length. and the "RED" line i made is your "width". also the 12volt calc is crap. i've used every box and port calc's online seeing as i'm cheap and would rather have an ugly box then pay a bunch of money to have one built. i am still trying to completely figure that torrez one out but from what others have said its a very good one. the only other one i found thats closest to being right is the RE box calc which is simple and here's a link. RE Enclosure Calculator

on this calc just put your dimensions where the numbers are red. and on port length, width, etc. just play with the widths and lengths till you get a tuning ur happy with. if its for daily i recommend 33hz-37hz. i tuned at 30hz it was only good for lows.then i tuned at 40hz and didnt hit the lows like i wanted. then i went with 33hz which fosgate recommends for my sub and it was perfect for my sub and other 15's i tried in this box

inside_small2.jpg

Thanks this was the answer i was looking for...

Sorry for the constant bumps