BanginGMC

Rescued a puppy from an Indian Res.

Okay, so i'm in New Mexico for work and i'm working on an Indian Reservation and there was this puppy (8 months) there, he would be starving and really dirty, no one took care of him. So we would feed him and give him water.. the school janitor told us someone came two weeks ago and dropped it off and left.

We took the puppy to Petco, bought some shampoo, some treats, a collar and a leash. We gave it a bath and washed all the tried up mud of him at our hotel, hes all clean now... but theres a problem, HE CRYS ALL DAY unless you play with him. At the worksite he was perfect, no crying at all untill we would leave him to go to out hotel because he wanted to go with us, he would be the chillest dog ever. I don't want to leave the dog at the worksite over night because he has to sleep outside and it gets really cold and the weather here is shitty as hell and unsafe for animals (lots of road kill)

So, i need help guys! I cannot stand the crying, its driving me fucking nuts. I would smack him ( not hard ) on his nose and say "NO/STOP" but it doesn't work!

I don't want to drop the dog off at the pound, I don't want him to get abandoned again, or die.

The plan was, take him to the hotel, give him a warm place to sleep, food, water, the whole nine yards! Then take him to work again and have him hangout with us like usual, but we can't have a dog crying all day while we're trying to relax.

Never punish for bad behavior, only reward for good behavior

Well, learn to speak Indian and say NO!

He probably needs exercise. I would say walk him early in the day, get him tired out. Then continue with the discipline. I don't think you need to hit (I know your not smacking the dog) the dog at all to discipline. Mostly just continue to let him know that his whining is not acceptable behavior. Shush him, use body language to let him know you are the boss. He might need another walk at night because he is a puppy. It might take a week or so but pent up energy and lack of discipline might take some time to straighten out. I'm no expert but just some ideas.

Good luck, be patient, and thank you for saving this pup!

He probably needs exercise. I would say walk him early in the day, get him tired out. Then continue with the discipline. I don't think you need to hit (I know your not smacking the dog) the dog at all to discipline. Mostly just continue to let him know that his whining is not acceptable behavior. Shush him, use body language to let him know you are the boss. He might need another walk at night because he is a puppy. It might take a week or so but pent up energy and lack of discipline might take some time to straighten out. I'm no expert but just some ideas.

Good luck, be patient, and thank you for saving this pup!

I just took him for a walk around the hotel ( lots of room ) and brought him back in... crying again.

I'm going to look for pet adoption places, i think petco had something of the sort.

Heres some pics;

cimg0170m.jpg

cimg0174.jpg

cimg0169c.jpg

cimg0168g.jpg

Looks like a dachshund, beagle mix. These are very vocal breeds by nature.

A dog really needs to be walked for a lot longer (both distance and time) than most owners really want to or are willing to do. I know I have put off getting a dog because my kids are to young to walk the dog by themselves. I basically don't want to be the one stuck to do all the work. So I am waiting until they are older and we can all share in the responsibility.

Anyhow you rescued the dog and are finding it a home so good job, you saved a dog most likely!

Watch Cesar Milan. The dog Whisperer.

Looks like a dachshund, beagle mix. These are very vocal breeds by nature.

A dog really needs to be walked for a lot longer (both distance and time) than most owners really want to or are willing to do. I know I have put off getting a dog because my kids are to young to walk the dog by themselves. I basically don't want to be the one stuck to do all the work. So I am waiting until they are older and we can all share in the responsibility.

Anyhow you rescued the dog and are finding it a home so good job, you saved a dog most likely!

This woman walking into Petco said the same about the breed.

I wish i could walk him more, so he isn't stuffed in a hotel room but besides the hotel property... there isn't much around besides roads.

Wow i recomend an informational tv show that uses positive reinforcment to train a dog instead of beating his ass and get -1. fuck it then.

Wow i recomend an informational tv show that uses positive reinforcment to train a dog instead of beating his ass and get -1. fuck it then.

Beating his ass?.... You never seen someone smack/bump/tap a dog on the nose? Oh wait, you should have because Cesar Milan has done it before..

Thanks to the people that actually helped.

/Thread.

Good looking pup!

:drink40: to you for taking in the pup and trying to find a suitable home. Probably so scared and worried that you are going to leave it that it cries. Just be patient and give it lot's of attention. Good luck!

I didnt say you were beating his ass i said i suggested a way to use positive gestures instead of beating his ass (not that you were). im not an advocate for dogs or anything i was just trying to help.