Sign in to follow this  
Fonzi

TV Buffs Help

I am looking at 2 Tv's that I want to get. I know very little about modern TV technology. Heres what Im looking at:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10504722

and

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10503985

Both are Refurbs. I dont know if its worth it, if you have any experiece with TV's please let me know what you think!

My bro knows quite a bit.

dunno if he will vists this forum today though

He will prob say the samsung

Yeah I think Im going to go with a DLP projection of somesort

Everywhere I look on the net I hear about problems with some of the TV that im looking at.

But I also wonder if its; People that have a problem complain and people whos work fine dont say a thing, so you just see more complaints.

Oh well im gonna just be keeping my eyes open

Just dont go plasma. My friend has a 55" Pioneer plasma. Its nothing great.

The only real technology to get is DLP, but man buying a refurb would scare the heck out of me. Especially cuz, if you wait until January I bet you can buy new for probably about the same price. If the refurb comes with a decent warranty then don't worry about it.

Basically, Plasma/LCD have serious off axis viewing issues, rarely can they have pixel transitions faster than 16ms (compared to 8 microsec for DLP) and they also wear out quickly were the DLP's should last.

Hope that helps.

Sweet thanks guys! Ive narrowed it down to either the Samaung DLP or the Sony KDFE42A10. Im pretty sure ill end up with the samsung.

Wait a year or two and get LCD ... Much more energy efficient, smaller package, good viewing angles (depending on technology used), image quality should be near the best by then.

BTW, 16 ms = 62.5 Hz, which is more than the NTSC standard of 59.94 Hz. Many forms of media actually only use half that refresh rate (most video games are limited to 29.97 fps). So to imply that an 8 ms refresh rate is SOOOO much better than a 16 ms refresh rate is pucking retarded; especially since they could lower the refresh rate on LCD, but you sacrifice image quality when you do so (of course, it makes great marketing to dumbasses :rolleyes: )

DLPs should last ? How do you figure ? It's a new technology ... There's absolutely no evidence how long they'll last.

I wouldn't get Plasma because of the energy consumption and heat and the fact that you cannot replace the pixels when they die out, unlike most other types of TVs.

Buying refurbished televisions is begging for trouble, IMO ... This is a fairly large investment after all ...