Shogen

Rough Idle with new HC1800

Hey guys, I posted this on 180db.com but have yet to get any responses. I just purchased a new Kinetik HC1800 and when I installed it my car was idling so rough that I was scared to continue with it. Let me explain the install first cuz it might have something to do with it.

Had an Optima Redtop that was okay but I kept getting the dimming when pumping the tunes. I then bought a 1.2Farad RF capacitor and it was a little better but not by much. So instead of experimenting with upgrading wires yet I decided to purchase the HC1800. Well, cables were too short to reach the battery connectors even when turned 180 to be a little closer. So I went to the hardware store and purchased these 2009042902555134129.jpg which were premade 4 gauge wire ..

I basically attached one end to the existing battery terminal bolt and the other end to the 3/8" bolt on my HC1800. Well, since it was so rough I put my old battery back in and it was rough for a few minutes but came back to normal idle I am used to. Would soldering this wire and removing the old terminal be better than what I did? Is this the reasoning for the rough idle crap? Let me know what you guys think.

Could you take a picture under your hood so we can see how everything looks. close up on battery area. Check the voltage on both batteries with a dmm, and whats the voltage at idle?

sounds more like somethings up with your fuel system to be honest.

Edited by stefanhinote

Why would you think fuel system? Out of curiosity... I don't know much..

And I'll take a picture hopefully tomorrow. How do you upload an image? Or do I have to imageshack it?

something could be plugging your fuel lines, what vehicle do you have? Some vehicles ecu resets when the battery is disconnected and has to relearn everything for your fuel system, usually lasts a couple hundred miles.

It could be just a fluke, but you could also have had a high resistance connection as well, which will cause a voltage drop which will affect everything else in the vehicle. Just run a new wire the length you need and be done with it. Don't connect or solder it to the existing wire.

something could be plugging your fuel lines, what vehicle do you have? Some vehicles ecu resets when the battery is disconnected and has to relearn everything for your fuel system, usually lasts a couple hundred miles.

I did have it disconnected a while when I was hooking up the new wiring. Its a 2003 Toyota Camry 4cyl.

It could be just a fluke, but you could also have had a high resistance connection as well, which will cause a voltage drop which will affect everything else in the vehicle. Just run a new wire the length you need and be done with it. Don't connect or solder it to the existing wire.

Well I only wanted length that wire to keep the stock available. I am waiting on my 0 gauge to do the BIG 3 soon as I get it.

is the hc1800 new or used?

The battery was definitely new. I confirmed it with Kinetik that day I received it.

What would be the best way to ensure clean fuel system? Some kind of cleaner I can run through the car?

when u say u put the original batt back in and it ran rough for a few then leveld out...

Possible your original batt was LOW and the alt was at full output charging it back up?

sounds like you need to charge the battery....

nice find man... I'll keep that in mind when I eventually get my wires and re-install the Kinetik, seems like this is what had happened to me, and I thought it was switching back to the old battery "fixed" the idle issue. Thanks again man.

I'll post back I guess when I do my BIG 3 and get that new battery inside my car. Someone had also suggested changing my spark plugs being that is has been about 45k or so since I had last done so...

when u say u put the original batt back in and it ran rough for a few then leveld out...

Possible your original batt was LOW and the alt was at full output charging it back up?

Well, it ran roughly more so with the NEW Kinetik battery than it did with the original Optima I had first. I didn't feel as comfortable with the idle on the NEW Kinetik battery and since I knew my previous Optima battery was good I put it back in.

sounds like you need to charge the battery....

You think the Kinetik needs to charge? If so, wouldn't installing it and letting it run for a bit take care of that? Just in case I get the same experience when I go to re-install it.

It is extremely hard on your alternator to charge a battery that way. Put it on a charger to get it to a full charge before installing it next time.

It is extremely hard on your alternator to charge a battery that way. Put it on a charger to get it to a full charge before installing it next time.

Ok, sounds like a good idea... Just had to hear that... Any of you guys had experience with Kinetik?

What would be the best way to ensure clean fuel system? Some kind of cleaner I can run through the car?

ALL automotive computers reset when de-energized.

The vehicle is OBDII. It will only take about 30 minutes worth of driving for the computer to re-"learn" it's settings. That in itself is a farce as the computer doesn't learn. It is constantly making changes and adapting, but when the battery is erased, it reverts back to preset parameters, hence the reason for sometimes erratic idle, etc. . . .

The only thing you did different was change a battery and induce a more resistive path. It has nothing to do with the fuel system, although changing the filter never hurts.

ALL automotive computers reset when de-energized.

The vehicle is OBDII. It will only take about 30 minutes worth of driving for the computer to re-"learn" it's settings. That in itself is a farce as the computer doesn't learn. It is constantly making changes and adapting, but when the battery is erased, it reverts back to preset parameters, hence the reason for sometimes erratic idle, etc. . . .

The only thing you did different was change a battery and induce a more resistive path. It has nothing to do with the fuel system, although changing the filter never hurts.

Thank you for the clarification on that one... Apparently 2002 and up on my specific vehicle the filter is located in the tank and not recommended for replacement by Toyota. Looked into when it was mentioned earlier.

agreed charge it before you install it I got a AGM battery for my wifes car and had it charged before it ever left store. can use a DMM to make note of voltage before and after charging. I only have experience with red top AGM and if the kinetik is also an AGM battery if you take it to autozone or some place like that make sure they put it on a charger made to charge that kind of battery. I have this,

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026890AL

most automotive parts store should have something similar

also, the DMM. Where is the easiest place to pick one up? Lowes or Home Depot?

any auto store should have one. I got mine at autozone. Home depot or lowes may have them too.

wish I saw that before I left work. The "Shack" is right around the corner from my job. Will pick one up tomorrow since I might be able to do the battery install if I get my wires and solder gear to extend the stock wiring.

The computer in the car reset. I have a 02 camry. Leave the car idling on it's own without touching the pedal until it fixes itself. Nothing to do with the battery. That's what happens when you disconnect the battery for a period of time. It's not gonna harm your car

More than likely the computer is relearning. Some cars and trucks will get nasty idle for a bit. Had a bout with a 1998 dodge ram about 10 years ago. Disconnected the battery to hook up a cd changer. The owner thought we messed up the truck even after his dodge mechanic told him what it was. After about 10 minutes all was fine then he got home decided to disconnect his battery again to be sure only to bring it back in to have his presets reprogramed LOL.

As for the battery it should read between 12.8-13 volts open circuit voltage when it is fully charged and allowed to rest a few hours after charging.

Good little chargers for AGM batteries are Ctek US 3300 or US 7002. They desulfate, have a tightly regulated charge and can be used as a maintainer.

If you see your battery resting below 12.7 volts it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a Ctek on it.