Viperoni

Xcon 15" - Smallest sealed box ever used?

Hey guys, I've got a Toyota Echo 4dr hatch, and I've got a Sundown SAE1200d and an XCon 15" fighting for space in the hatch area.

I won't be able to make the 2.0cf smallest recommended sealed box volume recommended on SSA's tech section.

I modeled the sub and it looks like a Qtc of 0.7 needs less than 2.0cf... unless I screwed up.

So the ultimate question: has anybody used the Xcon 15" in less than 2.0cf and what did it sound like?

Thanks!

You may be better off reconing to a 12", just a thought. Or get a bigger amp to make up for the output difference.

You can try it and stuff the enclosure up with some polyfill.

Try it and let us know how it works out. :peepwall:

I take that as a no :)

I managed to find some more space: I'm mounting my SAE-1200 on an angle and tucking it in a corner, and I bought an Arc Audio 4080 XXD amp to replace a huge Nakamichi 4ch... that should get me close to 1.75cf net.

Stuff it with 1.5 lbs per 1 cuft volume. Make sure to spread it out so its flowy not tight together or it just will take up volume. It should be able to get you right over 2 cuft.

Prefab boxes by subzero are 1.75 cubes for the ported version for a 15, so running a 1.75 sealed box shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, the subzero ported design sounded like ass with a CVR15 mounted up in it. Sounds like a one note wonder to me. funny, though I built a 5.75 cube box for it, and it was just outta this world in terms of output and SQ with an Alpine MRP-M500 powering it.

BTT: 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of polyfill will help with that, if you can manage 1.75 after displacement. Should be pretty wicked!

Edit: I see we have the same thing in mind^^^ :)

Edited by The SSD Madman

Well I've got the box built and the sub hole cutout along with a couple of the braces cut. Still have a couple more left to go.

I'm using 1" MDF for the baffle and after running the numbers, I'm looking at approx. 1.50cf net. It's definitely a small box!

I should have some more news after the weekend... and I'll be able to do some testing with a Behringer EP2500 :)

Thanks for the update. Tuned in. I'll probably be ordering an Xcon 15 in a few months and was planining on running it in a 2 cube sealed box I have laying around till I can get a propely ported enclosure built. So definitely interested in how this performs.

I had my 15's in 3cf sealed each and they will POUND!

Edit to add I am not piling on as the OP said he does not have the space, just adding that to the topic in case someone wanted to try them in an optimum sealed box.

I finished the bracing today, nothing crazy but just a little to help hold things together a bit better.

Won't be able to do much with it tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be able to get some work in on Sunday.

Have you modeled it in a PR setup yet? To see how small of a box it may need?

Prefab boxes by subzero are 1.75 cubes for the ported version for a 15, so running a 1.75 sealed box shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, the subzero ported design sounded like ass with a CVR15 mounted up in it. Sounds like a one note wonder to me. funny, though I built a 5.75 cube box for it, and it was just outta this world in terms of output and SQ with an Alpine MRP-M500 powering it.

BTT: 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of polyfill will help with that, if you can manage 1.75 after displacement. Should be pretty wicked!

Edit: I see we have the same thing in mind^^^ :)

Just because subzero builds boxes that way doesn't make it right. I can't think of a 15" sub that would sound good in a 1.75 cube ported box. Way too peaky and not enough LFE. I'd never buy that ported box.

Nope, and i couldn't fit it either. I don't have the depth to fit the PR and sub back to back, and definitely not on any other side either.

In any case, I'm still alive and the proejct is still on going, but it's been dragging....

I've got the sub in the box and it sounds pretty decent running off a Behringer EP2500 at home, but I get the feeling it is a bit small. We'll see how it performs in car.

Also, I've got the amp rack built and primered, it's going to get painted tomorrow, and I'll get the wiring work done too. Hopefully by the end of the weekend i'll have some (lots) bass in the car :)

Nope, and i couldn't fit it either. I don't have the depth to fit the PR and sub back to back, and definitely not on any other side either.

In any case, I'm still alive and the proejct is still on going, but it's been dragging....

I've got the sub in the box and it sounds pretty decent running off a Behringer EP2500 at home, but I get the feeling it is a bit small. We'll see how it performs in car.

Also, I've got the amp rack built and primered, it's going to get painted tomorrow, and I'll get the wiring work done too. Hopefully by the end of the weekend i'll have some (lots) bass in the car :)

Alright I finally got the amp rack installed and got the sub in too.

I know i have grounding problems, and I haven't hooked up my 1g ground wire (dedicated) yet either, but, it still goes off loud enough to get windshield flex in the Echo. I'm sure I'm at 140db in terms of SPL.

In terms of SQ, I'd rather not comment yet until I get my power issues straightened out.

Hoping to have some more news in a week or two... harder to work outside now with the cold weather :(