sundownz

Prototype Z v.3 Testing

I have started development on our Z v.3 woofer -- it is designed to increase thermal capacity a bit from the v.2 and also to be available for a lower price. We are outsourcing the build to our build house that we use for the SA series... BUT we are shipping USA made coils from Precision Econowind over to be used in them :)

The advantage of USA coils ? The Z v.3 passed a 1500-watt 60 Hz sine wave test for 5 minutes with a Chinese coil... but they only take 300 degrees! Well... American coils take 500 degrees! So think that over a bit :) We are talking 66% higher temperature handling and the speaker already passed the thermal test with the lower temperature coil.

Trade offs vs. the v.2 model ? Motor force factor is not quite as high as the Z v.2 model (wider gap, different coil, etc) -- but I worked hard to optimize the suspension to work as best as possible with the given motor power.

ETA is May to June of 2011 -- but I can't help but share some early information!

T/S specs of the D1 unit 15 inch (fairly fresh specs) :

FS: 36.8 Hz

Re: 2.19 ohms

Qes: 0.57

Qms: 5.44

Qts: 0.52

Le: 2.54 mH

Vas: 48.9 L

BL: 17.23 NA

Cms: 55 uM/N

Mms: 334 grams

Sens: 88.15 dB

BL^2/RE: 135.5

HU Level / Power / SPL

-10 / 110 / 140.0

-9 / 140 / 140.9

-6 / 330 / 143.6

-3 / 580 / 146.3

0 / 1460 / 149.3

1 / 1810 / 150.1

2 / 2210 / 150.7

3 / 2390 / 151.1

----------

I tested it against a competing product that is quite popular in SPL -- which by the spec many would imagine to perform better... the specs of the other driver as follows :

FS: 53.32 Hz

Re: 2.10 ohms

Qes: 0.66

Qms: 8.20

Qts: 0.61

Le: 2.02 mH

Vas: 19.25 L

BL: 20.75 NA

Cms: 21 uM/N

Mms: 407 grams

Sens: 88.27 dB

BL^2/RE: 205.0

Much higher motor force but very very hard suspension and more MMS.

Results from competing product :

HU Level / Power / SPL

-10 / 110 / 139.3

-9 / 140 / 140.5

-6 / 300 / 143.4

-3 / 620 / 146.2

0 / 1240 / 148.8

1 / 1520 / 149.5

2 / 1840 / 150.2

3 / 2120 / 150.6

4 / 2330 / 151.0

No... I won't tell you what product this is.

This product would probably excel for a very high frequency burp application, though.

---

Notice that I had to go +1 more on the HU for the same power on the competing product ? The Z v.3 features a shorting ring so has less impedance rise than a woofer that does not.

SPL performance is quite similar to the competing product despite the lower motor force factor... and the Z v.3 has ALOT more suspension travel so would pull ahead and very low frequencies when pushed to high stroke.

In any event... I am quite pleased with it. I still have a good bit of work to do... as they are ~8 months out but I figured I'd share some early information.

Until then the Z v.2 will remain available... the v.2 is actually a bit louder than the v.3 but does cost more than the v.3 will since we build the v.2 in house currently.

A few photos :

CIMG4253.JPG

CIMG4254.JPG

It does feature doubled up flat, tied down tinsel leads stock.

-----

The Z v.3 features the same proven cooling design of the SA series :)

Spider is a high quality 4-layer high nomex content unit :

CIMG4255.JPG

Cone / dust cap are like the SA-15 :

CIMG4257.JPG

------

We will keep building the NS v.2 here -- but anything smaller will be built alongside the SA series. We can't keep up with all the orders anymore building two lines :) Both a good and bad thing!

I know what the other woofer was :P Hush hush!

Looks like a nice daily driving woofer Jacob!

Since you are allowing the build house to assemble the new z will they be assembleing the new neo sub when its ready ? Or will you be building that sub in house with the Night shade?

Z series coils take a LOT of abuse. Very nice looking stitched leads on the spiders. A good looking driver, keep up the good work!

remember to tell china to glue on the dust caps dead center. :peepwall:

New prototypes are done along with magnet boot, triple joint ring, and frame spacer toolings -- I should have them in a month or so for testing :

boot.JPG

* Magnet boot similar to SA line... I am trying out a chrome finish on these prototypes. It smooths out some of the machining marks so gives a more consistent finish on the final product than the black does.

10inch.JPG

* Z v.3 10" Model

12inch.JPG

* Z v.3 12" Model

15inch.JPG

* Z v.3 15" Model

18inch.JPG

* Z v.3 18" Model -- Yes, it uses the bigger spider landing.

These were built with American coils as well -- so will reflect the final product.

The Zv.3 look great! If they are anything like the SA series then this is another BEAST of a subwoofer line.

This is what I don't like about the black paint finish and why I'm trying chrome on these samples :

Rings.jpg

It's not noticeable on the SA line with relatively small back and top plates -- but when you get plates this thick it shows up.

The black paint also sometimes gets messed up a bit in shipping as it occasionally is not 100% cured and the plastic packing bag will mess up the finish by leaving crinkle marks on it.

Minor, yes, but it bugs me... especially on a larger and more expensive driver like this.

I like the chrome finish. It's a nice touch on a more expensive driver.

I agree with you on the black paint finish, as it just doesn't look quite right on such a big motor.

are happy and also changed the appearance of products

although the 15 and 18 I would have liked the same basket of other

I do not really like the basket with 6 rays

Why do not you 15 and 18 with the classic basket?

I do not think it is very fragile, whereas even RE Audio and Fi use the same design is also 15 and 18

are happy and also changed the appearance of products

although the 15 and 18 I would have liked the same basket of other

I do not really like the basket with 6 rays

Why do not you 15 and 18 with the classic basket?

I do not think it is very fragile, whereas even RE Audio and Fi use the same design is also 15 and 18

RE/FI own the tooling for the 12-spoke 18" frame so I cannot use it.

Plus the 6-spoke has larger spider mount landing -- which I am using on the 18" Z v.3

The black paint also sometimes gets messed up a bit in shipping as it occasionally is not 100% cured and the plastic packing bag will mess up the finish by leaving crinkle marks on it.

Minor, yes, but it bugs me... especially on a larger and more expensive driver like this.

Minor yes...but it shows how much you care about the customer.

Crunching numbers a bit this morning -- we are looking at 10-12% less than the Z v.2 on price based on current estimates.

Lead time will also be drastically reduced as we won't have to schedule build time -- so they can ship within 1-2 days rather than a week or so like now.

Another side benefit to the design change is that all Nightshade coils fit this motor -- NS v.1, NS v.2, and NS v.2 SPL.

how long do we have to wait? lol if you need some one to do some testing ill take 2 12"s D2 :P

how long do we have to wait? lol if you need some one to do some testing ill take 2 12"s D2 :P

Still working on several things :

1) Foam packing tooling

2) Final testing of all sizes to verify performance / parameters

3) Final coil details with Precision in the USA

4) Selling stock of Z v.2 models

I am still thinking May to June next year.

I currently have room to do some testing for you! ... :peepwall:

1) Foam packing tooling

all i want are the spiders with the integrated leads. im not sure, but these arent on the current zv2 12"s are they? can i get a zv2 custom with these new spiders?

1) Foam packing tooling

all i want are the spiders with the integrated leads. im not sure, but these arent on the current zv2 12"s are they? can i get a zv2 custom with these new spiders?

No, they aren't on the current Z v.2 -- they use round tied down leads.

I will not have these parts in stock until the Z v.3 are in production.

1) Foam packing tooling

darn.... ok, will the Zv2 be able to be reconed to Zv3s? trying to figure my stuff out for next year, really want the integrated leads lol

1) Foam packing tooling

darn.... ok, will the Zv2 be able to be reconed to Zv3s? trying to figure my stuff out for next year, really want the integrated leads lol

Other than coils I can interchange the parts. So you v.2 could get the spider, cones, dust cap, etc from a v.3 but will retain a v.2 coil.