Sign in to follow this  
Robert.Metzel

Bass peaks in Audacity question

So I was bored tonight and I was going through my iTunes looking for songs that could be used as a show off playlist. I was looking through various artists and importing the audio files into Audacity. When I used the plot spectrum feature the absolute highest peak bass note was at -12db so far. That was a song off a bass cd I have. So that has me wondering. When I set my gains I used a 0 db test tone at 50 hz. I have control of the sub output level via the HU. Now I know songs never hit 0 db, so when I'm really wanting to bump I'll turn the level to +5 which really gets some songs hitting hard.

One song that bangs hard is Young Jeezy " My Hood" In looking at the peaks I see:

38hz @ -17db

51hz @ -15db

59hz @ -16db

But now I am wondering if I can go higher with the level control to maximize the output of power. Now I know with imp rise and all that good jazz most notes aren't going to see full power. But won't turning up the level control ( not the gain knob ) maximize the power at said imp seen at that particular note? Or is the level control just an variant of the gain knob? When at +5 it slams and sounds clean to me.

And to be clear, normally I have the sub level at 0 in the HU and I actually started using a gain knob, which came with my new Sundown amp. That is normally about 3 clicks shy of minimum setting.

Let me know if I am way off base.

A screen shot of what I'm talking about:

4967029470_a5e8c2a828_b.jpg

Also, what effect does clipping in the music have on the sub? I notice a TON of songs are lit up red like Rudolph's nose when I use the show clipping option.

Ive read on this forum that its better to use +5 to as high as +10 db test tones when setting ur sub. lets see what others have to say :popcorn:

Ive read on this forum that its better to use +5 to as high as +10 db test tones when setting ur sub. lets see what others have to say :popcorn:

I think you mean -db test tones to closer match music peaks. After my first post I decided to take a drive and go full tilt at +5 on the sub level on this song. I took note of how loud the 50 hz tone was on music. Then I dropped it to 0db level and play a 0db 50hz test tone and the output on the test tone was substantially louder. Obviously it should be, but I wouldn't mind getting a bit closer to that output on music..... safely though.

One reason why many people on here don't recommend using 0 db tones. Not much music, if any, is recorded that high. Just set the gain with your ear, or if you want to check for clipping, with an oscope.

Also, turning up the level controller on the head unit is basically the same thing as turning up the gain on the amp, just in reverse order. Instead of increasing the gain to match a lower signal voltage, you're increasing signal voltage to match a lower gain.

One reason why many people on here don't recommend using 0 db tones. Not much music, if any, is recorded that high. Just set the gain with your ear, or if you want to check for clipping, with an oscope.

Also, turning up the level controller on the head unit is basically the same thing as turning up the gain on the amp, just in reverse order. Instead of increasing the gain to match a lower signal voltage, you're increasing signal voltage to match a lower gain.

So that is pretty much the same thing as setting with a -db tone then correct? What is a good -db level to use? -6db? Like I said, it sounds clean when I do it. So this answers part of my question. Second half would be:

So I am able to turn the HU level up higher on say the sample song to closer match the power I see using a 0db test tone? Just listen for clipping correct? And thanks for the reply! :)

Edited by Teampapi79

So I am able to turn the HU level up higher on say the sample song to closer match the power I see using a 0db test tone? Just listen for clipping correct? And thanks for the reply! :)

Yes, you are able to turn it up higher if the song is recorder low. To get a really good idea on the sound of clipping, play some square waves, that will get you accustomed with clipping really fast and you will pick it up in music much easier.

Yes, you are able to turn it up higher if the song is recorder low. To get a really good idea on the sound of clipping, play some square waves, that will get you accustomed with clipping really fast and you will pick it up in music much easier.

Sounds good! Thanks again! :drink40: