slim142

Getting an 18, What are the requirements?

Ok so I will be getting an 18 soon, still debating whether an AA SMD or an SSA XCON (The SMD is like $400 more, idk if the gains are worth that much)

Anyways, before anything I know I need to have my electrical ready so here comes my question.

Right now my Ford Expedition is 100% stock. It only has a 2000D powering a Pioneer 12inch sub with 1000watts RMS.

I know the Big 3 is A MUST HAVE. But, do I need a new alternator? Do I need a new battery? Do I need more than my stock battery?

The reason to ask is because if I get the sub + the enclosure, I will most likely have no money left for a new alternator or new/extra battery.

And hopefully the 4gauge that I have right now will be to handle 2000watts rms since thats what I have in my 2000D right now

opinions?

are you planning on upgrading your amp or using 2000d for xcon or smd? 4gauge is not sufficient enough for the kind of power you want to run...

Get a dmm or a lcd voltmeter and see how much your voltage drops at full tilt. If your going to take full advantage of that 2000d I would at least suggest another battery in the rear...

If you can't afford everything then just do one thing at a time... not like were all rich.

Ok so I will be getting an 18 soon, still debating whether an AA SMD or an SSA XCON (The SMD is like $400 more, idk if the gains are worth that much)

Anyways, before anything I know I need to have my electrical ready so here comes my question.

Right now my Ford Expedition is 100% stock. It only has a 2000D powering a Pioneer 12inch sub with 1000watts RMS.

I know the Big 3 is A MUST HAVE. But, do I need a new alternator? Do I need a new battery? Do I need more than my stock battery?

The reason to ask is because if I get the sub + the enclosure, I will most likely have no money left for a new alternator or new/extra battery.

And hopefully the 4gauge that I have right now will be to handle 2000watts rms since thats what I have in my 2000D right now

opinions?

alright you need to rethink this. No your 4ga will not work. 1/0 is a must in this application

-you will need another battery. Depends on what your stock alt. puts out but pretty sure you'll need a HO alt.

When you jump up to 2000 watts your going to want more battery reserve on tap. Big 3 for sure and 0 gauge power ran is a must. Don't skimp on the wiring do it right the first time.

I'm sure the SMD will be an incredible driver, but if your budget doesn't allow for the proper electrical buy the XCON and save the $400 and spend it on electrical upgrades. No alt needed at first if you add more battery reserve. Buy a voltage meter to monitor your voltage.

The XCON is legendary and has a notorious reputation for getting loud. Package that with one of the new KhaotiK enclosures and you will be bumpin'!

I've personally heard the xcons before and I have to say it was the loudest AND best sq.

ive never heard a complaint about the xcons only that they pound on another note i would just take everything one step at a time and save up and grab a h/o alternator and as was already said def get 0 guage your amp and new sub will appreciate it

I see, so I guess going for an 18" right now is not a good idea.

That would mean money on 1) The Big 3, 2) 1/0 run to the back 3) The Sub 4) Enclosure 5) Battery

We are talking about a lot of money.

And I wish I knew how much better are the SMD against the XCON, the BTL, and the Havoc

I think I will just wait for now. I also thought about upgrading my front components from factory to Morel Dotech Ovation (or the Bravox CS60F, but I never heard them in person), but just on the door deadeners + labor to get the deadener installed I would be spending like $200.

Will save my money and most likely go for subs in a month or two from now

Anyways, thanks for the advice guys!

Edited by slim142

I see, so I guess going for an 18" right now is not a good idea.

That would mean money on 1) The Big 3, 2) 1/0 run to the back 3) The Sub 4) Enclosure 5) Battery

We are talking about a lot of money.

And I wish I knew how much better are the SMD against the XCON, the BTL, and the Havoc

I think I will just wait for now. I also thought about upgrading my front components from factory to Morel Dotech Ovation (or the Bravox CS60F, but I never heard them in person), but just on the door deadeners + labor to get the deadener installed I would be spending like $200.

Will save my money and most likely go for subs in a month or two from now

Anyways, thanks for the advice guys!

i am glad you are actually taking our advice unlike some people on here that dont realize you need the proper electrical to support these types of high powered systems. How come you want an 18? From my experience I absolutely loved my BTL but an 18 is rather large and will take up all the trunk room. Recently just downgraded and couldnt be happier

i am glad you are actually taking our advice unlike some people on here that dont realize you need the proper electrical to support these types of high powered systems. How come you want an 18? From my experience I absolutely loved my BTL but an 18 is rather large and will take up all the trunk room. Recently just downgraded and couldnt be happier

Yeah absolutely, after realizing shops just try to rip you off and many times they make you come back to get more and more I decided to actually learn about this and just get the stuff myself. Then I saw the guy from the tahoe in youtube and decided to visit Fi website, the forum link lead me here and I knew this was the place to learn about car audio. This was more than a year ago. Now I feel so much more educated in this field I even recommend and guide my friends.

I want an 18 because I want the best. I currently have 12 and Im happy with it, but more bass would make me the happiest guy alive.

Now my question is, did you really need the space that you had to downgrade? The backseat wasnt enough space for your needs? And to what did you downgrade?

Edited by slim142

The XCON isn't in the same class as the SMD, BTL, or Havoc.

What do you mean?

Is the XCON for SQ only? Like an Fi Q or something?

Yeah absolutely, after realizing shops just try to rip you off and many times they make you come back to get more and more I decided to actually learn about this and just get the stuff myself. Then I saw the guy from the tahoe in youtube and decided to visit Fi website, the forum link lead me here and I knew this was the place to learn about car audio. This was more than a year ago. Now I feel so much more educated in this field I even recommend and guide my friends.

I want an 18 because I want the best. I currently have 12 and Im happy with it, but more bass would make me the happiest guy alive.

Now my question is, did you really need the space that you had to downgrade? The backseat wasnt enough space for your needs? And to what did you downgrade?

it was a combination of weight/plus no trunk space..i went to a BL 12 because i purchased a car

There made with different goals in mind you can't compare an XCON to an SMD just not in the league the smd may be musical and loud but so is the XCON but with different power handling. not comparable,

Whats the power handling of the XCON?

So basically the SMD is not in that league because of its 3500watts RMS power handling?

My goal is to be LOUD and have quality components. Be heard everywhere, and make it pleasant to be inside the car.

Whats the power handling of the XCON?

So basically the SMD is not in that league because of its 3500watts RMS power handling?

My goal is to be LOUD and have quality components. Be heard everywhere, and make it pleasant to be inside the car.

So your goal is to annoy people? Interesting.

The Xcon was designed for SQ, and it just so happened to get loud.

And who said 18"s are the best?

ive never heard a complaint about the xcons only that they pound on another note i would just take everything one step at a time and save up and grab a h/o alternator and as was already said def get 0 guage your amp and new sub will appreciate it

PUNCTUATION!

PUNCTUATION!

That would require to much work for most. :-(

Subs and Sound Quality. Ha Ha.

PUNCTUATION!

It's easy to pick out the lazy and those who paid no attention in school.

Or those who are just naturally stupid.

PUNCTUATION!

It's easy to pick out the lazy and those who paid no attention in school.

Or those who are just naturally stupid.

:Doh:

Subs and Sound Quality. Ha Ha.

Pshhhh my MT 18"s sounds like pure SQzzz

Well, let me rephrase myself

18s are the best (IMO) cause they can reach the lowest note and hit the deepest, isnt that what the 18 inch cone is for?

And be heard everywhere, what I meant was that so that I can crank the volume, whether windows up or down, any type of music, any time a day just raise the volume and be loud but at the same time keep quality.

And I didnt know the XCON was an SQ subwoofer. It does look like a great option. So what are the BTL and Havoc designed for?

Well, let me rephrase myself

18s are the best (IMO) cause they can reach the lowest note and hit the deepest, isnt that what the 18 inch cone is for?

And be heard everywhere, what I meant was that so that I can crank the volume, whether windows up or down, any type of music, any time a day just raise the volume and be loud but at the same time keep quality.

And I didnt know the XCON was an SQ subwoofer. It does look like a great option. So what are the BTL and Havoc designed for?

Nope, big fat myth right there. The only difference is cone size, so there is more output, they all play the SAME notes.

The XCON is designed to sound good, yes. The BTL and Mayhem are made to be loud, the BTL will do better numbers on a meter vs. the Mayhem but the Mayhem plays a bit lower, better for daily.

Cars don't run off batteries they run off alternators so get some sort of dry cell and purchase a h/o. If you are going to be using that same amp anyway which you stated was only 1,000rms you should be fine anyway

Well, based off your logic. Why aren't you wanting a 21" woofer?