slim142

Getting an 18, What are the requirements?

Well, let me rephrase myself

18s are the best (IMO) cause they can reach the lowest note and hit the deepest, isnt that what the 18 inch cone is for?

And be heard everywhere, what I meant was that so that I can crank the volume, whether windows up or down, any type of music, any time a day just raise the volume and be loud but at the same time keep quality.

And I didnt know the XCON was an SQ subwoofer. It does look like a great option. So what are the BTL and Havoc designed for?

Nope, big fat myth right there. The only difference is cone size, so there is more output, they all play the SAME notes.

The XCON is designed to sound good, yes. The BTL and Mayhem are made to be loud, the BTL will do better numbers on a meter vs. the Mayhem but the Mayhem plays a bit lower, better for daily.

Honestly he needs an MT lol

:Doh: Drew.

Oh man, why out of the sudden is everyone trolling at me? Im here for help man

Nope, big fat myth right there. The only difference is cone size, so there is more output, they all play the SAME notes.

The XCON is designed to sound good, yes. The BTL and Mayhem are made to be loud, the BTL will do better numbers on a meter vs. the Mayhem but the Mayhem plays a bit lower, better for daily.

I see. So it was a myth all this time!. Something learned today!

So what you are saying is that given the same test bed, same conditions and same power (let say 1000watts RMS) a 12" will hit a 30Hz note as good as an 18"?

Well, based off your logic. Why aren't you wanting a 21" woofer?

Because I learned in this forum that there is no need for that one sub. Heck, it reminds me of the Jackhammer. If it was that good, dont you think people would be getting it instead of two or more BTLs, Mayhems or SMDs? and I also think that space is a big issue for most.

Just because the size of the woofer is bigger, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be "louder" and sound "better". Ask any big timer on here. It's all install dependent. Look up the guys with the SA 8" woofer pushing 150 db.. That's a whole woofer size smaller than an 18, and there are 18's out there doing in the mid 130's. Consider your budget, space, and power. I'm willing to put money on it that I could find an install with one 10" driver and you would be more satisfied than some installs with this 18" monster your craving for. But each has their own. If you're going for mainly "looks" to show off that you have an infant for a subwoofer and output isn't a huge concern, by all means go for it. But if your goal is truly output, put this into consideration and rethink your install. Putting a 12" model of the same driver as the 18 in a box with recommended space and tuning, as compared to the crammed and not in sufficient space, will out perform the 18 any day.

Just my .02. Take it how you want to. And I wish you the best with your final decision.

Oh man, why out of the sudden is everyone trolling at me? Im here for help man

I see. So it was a myth all this time!. Something learned today!

So what you are saying is that given the same test bed, same conditions and same power (let say 1000watts RMS) a 12" will hit a 30Hz note as good as an 18"?

Yes, they will replicate the same frequencies, the difference is the one that moves the most air will be louder. Keep in mind they have to be the same woofer, say a 12" BTL vs. an 18" BTL. Yes the 18" will be louder, only because it's cone is larger and it displaces more air.

say a 12" BTL vs. an 18" BTL. Yes the 18" will be louder, only because it's cone is larger and it displaces more air.

Depending on the enclosure! As I tried to state above

Depending on the enclosure! As I tried to state above

Exactly.

Alot pf people use 21"s....

Just because Steve Meade doesn't use them doesn't meant they aren't good. :suicide-santa:

Just because the size of the woofer is bigger, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be "louder" and sound "better". Ask any big timer on here. It's all install dependent. Look up the guys with the SA 8" woofer pushing 150 db.. That's a whole woofer size smaller than an 18, and there are 18's out there doing in the mid 130's. Consider your budget, space, and power. I'm willing to put money on it that I could find an install with one 10" driver and you would be more satisfied than some installs with this 18" monster your craving for. But each has their own. If you're going for mainly "looks" to show off that you have an infant for a subwoofer and output isn't a huge concern, by all means go for it. But if your goal is truly output, put this into consideration and rethink your install. Putting a 12" model of the same driver as the 18 in a box with recommended space and tuning, as compared to the crammed and not in sufficient space, will out perform the 18 any day.

Just my .02. Take it how you want to. And I wish you the best with your final decision.

You can NOT use SPL scores to dictate how a woofer will perform in a musical application, so numbers mean nothing except for SPL competition.

You can NOT use SPL scores to dictate how a woofer will perform in a musical application, so numbers mean nothing except for SPL competition.

Correct, but musical isn't what this users concern is. Therefore I didn't take that much into consideration. But the same concept still applies to a certain degree.

Sounds to me like he already needs to do big 3 as it is! He is probably already starving that amp. Alternator, power wire, and get a new box. Watch what you already have kick some ass. Tap in a second pioneer woofer as well, and save yourself some real cash on the whole setup. If you have any extra money after that, look into a Braille battery and deadening. You are building a home on sand if you don't.

Edited by S4 Matt

The XCON isn't in the same class as the SMD, BTL, or Havoc.

I thought no one was going to say this !

Thank you !

:captain:

S4Matt, I agree, totally !!!

That seems to be the best and cheapest way to do it.

But he will have to sell 2 subs later instead of just one. Obviously he will want to change his subs for btl's or more!

The XCON is legendary and has a notorious reputation for getting loud. Package that with one of the new KhaotiK enclosures and you will be bumpin'!

WOW, love this post! :)

Yeah I was also thinking about just forgetting about 18s and go for a single 12 dcon with a khaotik enclosure. Thats like $350 we are talking about. The problem is that later on I wouldnt be able to sell the enclosure and most people around my place dont have an idea of who SSA are. Wouldnt pay much for it if I try to sell it.

Also, idk how if the DCON would be able to handle 1000watts RMS since its rated at 300 I would be giving it 3 times the continuous power.

Im thinking about saving the money, and go big when I get all my money together.

According to you guys how should the car electrical upgrade process should be? in what order?

Alternator

Big 3

Battery

Please don't send 1000 watts to a Dcon.

Yeah Jacob does a 150.1 with a single SA-8 but look at other guys with a single 18" doing 160's lol

And he already told you if the boxes were both built to specs on an 12 and 18, the 18 would win.... true...

Guys, I don't think he is going to be dB dragging at all, he just wants some good bumps. What he already has isnt bad, it just isnt setup right. You need a GOOD installer to set you up man.

Well, trust me, I would get everything set up right if I only knew if Im going to be keeping this car.

I have money to put 0 gauge and get a good battery, its just the car thats stopping me from redoing everything from scratch and starting again the right way.

Sucks because that also means I cant deaden the doors :(

Sounds to me like you are at a complete stand still then, it would be dumb to start dropping money on a car you arent going to keep.

Sounds to me like you are at a complete stand still then, it would be dumb to start dropping money on a car you arent going to keep.

W/e I buy/replace, I make sure is something I can move to a new car.

Sub, box, amp, components and radio for example

I bought the 4 gauge wiring 2 years ago, so shouldnt really count.