SentraGuy

Wiring question.

How do you guys make this connection? I bought 8 gauge speaker wire thinking "Yeah! This will be some great speaker wire" but now at this connection point I have to fit two ends of wire into the terminal. I'll have to cut off a lot of strands.

I didn't have to do this on my last system as is wasn't wired down to 1 ohm. Anything I'm missing here? Or is that the only solution?

Thanks.

2mcbuc1.jpg

Get smaller wires?

Get smaller wires?

Obvious answer.

I've just read/heard of many people using 8 gauge speaker wire. Wondering if they solved this problem another way.

Get smaller wires?

Obvious answer.

I've just read/heard of many people using 8 gauge speaker wire. Wondering if they solved this problem another way.

Only reason it is needed is for very high power systems, 3,000+ rms per sub.

Most subs that need that much have terminals capable of taking 8awg, so you just have to trim each a little.

I can't really advocate this as a right answer, but back when I was just starting out, we wired up my friend's sub in parallel by taking the wire from the amp, putting a crimp on it with two wires coming out of the other side, and used each of those wires for a positive, then the same for negative. I'm sure you can't find a crimp for 8 ga wire, but i'm just saying, you don't have to make the connection in the sub's terminals.

I can't really advocate this as a right answer, but back when I was just starting out, we wired up my friend's sub in parallel by taking the wire from the amp, putting a crimp on it with two wires coming out of the other side, and used each of those wires for a positive, then the same for negative. I'm sure you can't find a crimp for 8 ga wire, but i'm just saying, you don't have to make the connection in the sub's terminals.

Crimps can cause a rise in impedance, which can lead to many other issues.

Get smaller wires?

Obvious answer.

Only reason it is needed is for very high power systems, 3,000+ rms per sub.

Most subs that need that much have terminals capable of taking 8awg, so you just have to trim each a little.

I'll just trim, it's cool. Thanks.

Does the amp have dual terminals?

Why didn't I think to ask? :suicide-santa:

Then run a wire form each terminal to a terminal on the woofer. There should be 4 wires total.

Or you could wire each coil to some threaded rod for binding posts, then off to the amp!

Or use a normal sized wire. 12 gauge is the biggest you'd need unless you have huge power going through them.

Then run a wire form each terminal to a terminal on the woofer. There should be 4 wires total.

And this would be a 1 ohm load, correct?

Assuming that your sub is a dual two, then, yes.

Assuming that your sub is a dual two, then, yes.

It is, it is.

The 2 sets of terminals on the amp basically come together inside, right?

Taking the 4 wires straight to the amp will not work, unless I go through the port with the wires (Which I don't really want to do :o).

Will this approach work... Still using a wire on each terminal on the sub, and connecting them at their corresponding terminals on the inside of the box? Then I will have just 2 wires leaving the box.

That works just fine as well and is the method that I usually employ.