Sign in to follow this  
markak134

how do you do fiberglass

ive never done it before is it hard ive seen pics of people doing it but i dont really know what to do i think i need a video or tutorial i couldnt really find a good one most were for boxes i dont want to make a box and i need to know all what to buy

the speakers are already mounted in my door i just want to cover up the ugly hole around it so just the speakers show

1003303j.jpg

1003304u.jpg

looks like you could just make an insert out of wood, mount the speakers in the insert and finish it with paint or vinyl. you may not even need fiberglass.

Otherwise I would recommend using two-part foam to create the shape you want around the speakers and glassing over that. DON"T foam with the speakers in the panel, make a mounting ring to foam in and then mount the speakers to mounting ring once glassed.

OR you will have to make a fiberglass back that fits the door, add speaker rings at the desired location and then stretch fabric to get the initial outer shape. Then glass over that.

There is definetly more than a couple ways to do this, you just have to pick the one you think you can pull off.

id think wood would look the best im going to try that

definetly the easiest looking option. Don't be afraid to jump right in, the details will work them selfs out. DON"T overthink it.

Let us know if you got any other questions.

The easiest option is to reattach the factory grill.

The easiest option is to reattach the factory grill.

This ^ or put some grill cloth over the hole.

it took me like 4 hours to get this far i had to cut out all the plastic inside there that sticks out so the wood lays flat but now i have a stencil yea it does fit perfectly in the door all the wood work was done with a 30 dollar jigsaw from lowes the outside is good but the holes in the middle are terrible im going to be a 1/34-1/78 drill bit for the tweeter can someone recommend what a can use to make the big hole

09240021491.jpg

go back to lowes and buy one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_234114-355-16-059_0__?productId=3199763&Ntt=compass&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcompass

then carefully draw a perfect circle and then carefully cut out a better circle. make sure the jigsaw has a decent blade and take your time. make sure to turn off any orbital or "turbo" settings so it cuts slower and allows better control. clamp it to a work bench so it doesnt jump around on you. basic woodworking 101. a lot of us cut our teeth with a $30 jigsaw and $40 circular saw. once you learn the basics or decide to go all out you can splurge on routers with circle jigs and table saws and etc.

and you are working with plywood, so splinters are a plenty.

blades are normally labeled pretty well. a fine cut (high TPI) will cut slower and smoother with less splinters. great for detail work. a rough cut (low TPI) will cut fast and dirty. you can clean up the edges with sandpaper but larger splinters will still show. when you work with mdf it is a little more forgiving because it doesnt splinter.

TPI = teeth per inch

all i have is a vice it kind of suck working vertical all the time what can i buy so i can work normal wood clamps

all i have is a vice it kind of suck working vertical all the time what can i buy so i can work normal wood clamps

can you post a pic of what kind of table i need so i can cut wood

Any table will work. Pick one. You don't need to clamp, but it wouldn't hurt.

Remember to let the blade do the cutting, DON'T force it.

i was wondering if there is some kind of table that clamps the wood and u can cut in the middle so you dont cut the table or can u just raise the wood up but then there is nothing to hold it steady

i just did these with a vice

a bigger project wouldnt work too good

downsized0925001326.jpg

is there some kind of foam or somthing that i can get to glue on the outside of the wood to fill the gap from the wood to the door

downsized0925001431.jpg

downsized0925001804.jpg

Edited by markak134

Just about any kind of expanding foam will do. After you put the foam in and it's fully cured take that sander with some 40 or 60 sand paper and shape the foam down. Once that's done, get a small can of fiberglass resin and coat the wood and foam after you tape off the area, then just paint it all to match the door and that will get you lookin' decent without too much trouble.

Obviously you are concerned what other ppl think?

If you are happy with them then thats where its at.

Also, you could stretch grill cloth on the door panel cut out and you wouldnt see anything. that should be easy!