mpunklil

Need some technicalities cleared up

You'll like the 12s, I'm sure. Asking 2 eights IB to keep up with anything, especially when they're not properly installed (not a dig, but you yourself admitted it was temporary and not properly sealed) is not going to bring fulfilling results. Good luck with the 12's, as I'm hoping to do the same thing in my car next summer.. so I'll stay tuned to any build thread you start! :popcorn:

Find a new eq,.... ...I just dont know how happy I will be with losing some of the features.

What features do you need in an eq?

Well the line out off a stock deck isnt exactly desirable. Looking into the alpine pxe-h660, looks ten times easier to use than my old eq hahaha. So basically the standard eq features, I dont know how else to explain it other than needing an eq to increase or decrease certain frequencies that lack.

Edited by S4 Matt

OK, just finished up for today....

Good: Bass output isn't half bad, but it barely keeps up with the highs...certainly to be expected. The eq really helped. Turns out my eq had a subsonic filter :)

Bad: Subs are undoubtedly at their mechanical limit, and my amp is smacking the crap out of them. One of the 8's sounds like it just might be on it's way out now too. Highs still sound cheap, but to be expected as well.

Uglyyyy: Something happened to my eq within the last few years...it picks up an ungodly amount of engine noise. Everything from the engine, to the brake lights. Hoping a power filter will kill it, but I'm guessing that something crapped out internally.

Consensus?

Robot Underground Gonzo highs are needed

Two Fi IB3 12's are gonna get stuffed in, whether my car likes it or not!

Find a new eq, and I'm still tossing up the idea of a headunit...I just dont know how happy I will be with losing some of the features.

Get another Sony XM-2252HX amp. Onebadmonte has one, but hopefully it's not gone by the time I can scrounge some money up.

Fixed for your good will.

Interesting, they seem to claim some good specs...I figured they didnt look too bad. On the other hand, Bravox is certainly on sale right now.

You'll like the 12s, I'm sure. Asking 2 eights IB to keep up with anything, especially when they're not properly installed (not a dig, but you yourself admitted it was temporary and not properly sealed) is not going to bring fulfilling results. Good luck with the 12's, as I'm hoping to do the same thing in my car next summer.. so I'll stay tuned to any build thread you start! :popcorn:

In the end they were properly installed by technical terms, just not so much visual hahaha. It should all be starting in the near future/less than a few months. Need one more month to catch up on all the newborn baby b/s and knock off a couple loans I have out.

Find a new eq,.... ...I just dont know how happy I will be with losing some of the features.

What features do you need in an eq?

Well the line out off a stock deck isnt exactly desirable. Looking into the alpine pxe-h660, looks ten times easier to use than my old eq hahaha. So basically the standard eq features, I dont know how else to explain it other than needing an eq to increase or decrease certain frequencies that lack.

The last Audi deck I looked at had a dead nuts flat output, unless they've changed they equalize in the amps.

EQ's should really never be used for increasing, only for cutting anomalies.

The pxe-660 auto function doesn't work for shit IMO.

The other major item here is that if you don't know what you need the eq for, you should really not buy one. If you have some issues in your car it is a completely different story, but I'd make sure I know what they are so that I can fix them when I spend money. My guess here that most of your problems are install related and spending some time/money to tighten that up would help more than anything.

Agreed, I mainly want the eq to compensate for the in vehicle acoustics. I already had it laying around from my last setup. The pxe it supposed to correct time alignment and phase, which I know are definitely off considering the use of stock speaker locations. Yes, the install does need to be tightened up, just wanted to get a trial run in on this car and see where my problems are goin to fall. I'm surprised the deck has a linear output, not used to seeing that on a factory deck. It does have a pretty high noise floor though, and I'm hoping the pxe will correct that as well.

OK, just finished up for today....

Good: Bass output isn't half bad, but it barely keeps up with the highs...certainly to be expected. The eq really helped. Turns out my eq had a subsonic filter :)

Bad: Subs are undoubtedly at their mechanical limit, and my amp is smacking the crap out of them. One of the 8's sounds like it just might be on it's way out now too. Highs still sound cheap, but to be expected as well.

Uglyyyy: Something happened to my eq within the last few years...it picks up an ungodly amount of engine noise. Everything from the engine, to the brake lights. Hoping a power filter will kill it, but I'm guessing that something crapped out internally.

Consensus?

Robot Underground Gonzo highs are needed

Two Fi IB3 12's are gonna get stuffed in, whether my car likes it or not!

Find a new eq, and I'm still tossing up the idea of a headunit...I just dont know how happy I will be with losing some of the features.

Get another Sony XM-2252HX amp. Onebadmonte has one, but hopefully it's not gone by the time I can scrounge some money up.

Fixed for your good will.

Interesting, they seem to claim some good specs...I figured they didnt look too bad. On the other hand, Bravox is certainly on sale right now.

RU has had a very questionable track record and a number of us have seen the activity over the years.

Agreed, I mainly want the eq to compensate for the in vehicle acoustics. I already had it laying around from my last setup. The pxe it supposed to correct time alignment and phase, which I know are definitely off considering the use of stock speaker locations. Yes, the install does need to be tightened up, just wanted to get a trial run in on this car and see where my problems are goin to fall. I'm surprised the deck has a linear output, not used to seeing that on a factory deck. It does have a pretty high noise floor though, and I'm hoping the pxe will correct that as well.

Cool, we are getting somewhere. What do you need to compensate? If you have anomalies, then lets get them!

The pxe can correct for time alignment and phase, but I have never heard it work in a way that I find beneficial. Depending on your skill and ears though it could be better than you'd do on your own.

I am curious as to the high noise floor comments. Not only curious but surprised. What are you hearing? Is it a hum, buzz, white noise, pink noise.... Either way the PXE couldn't do anything for that at all, but I am not sure it exists but instead might be caused by something else you are doing in your install. My wives Audi was really pretty tight in that regards and every S4 I've been in hasn't had any noise issues. I'll give you one hint. If the noise wasn't there in the stock setup then it isn't caused by the headunit. ;)

Yes the MS8 is better, but not sure you need that. Could you use it? Sure, everyone could, but I am a big proponent of only spending money when you need to for an actual improvement. It is a lot of dough to just get an EQ.

Quick thought on your amp shutting off... Are you sure it is because of overcurrent?

I only ask because the PAC LOCs can be a pain in the ass as far as the remotr turn on voltage. They have a really bad sensing circuit. When the voltage to them drops more than a volt or so (I mean the 12V feed) they shut off the remote turn on output for a second or so, causing most amps to shut off for a moment... Causing you to think it is an overcurrent issue with the amp.

The last 3 systems I have installed with PAC LOCs have done this. I have ended up bypassing the remote turn on function. An easy way to check is to monitor the remote turn on voltage when the amp shuts down, if it drops, the PAC is to blame...

They make a good output conveter section, but the remote power section is absolute crap... I have spoke with thier engineers and they (hestitantly) admit this issue...

Noise is only apparent with the head unit off, or in between songs. I'd vouch for it being pink noise more so than white. It's very faint, but the second you turn the head unit off WITH the amps ON (the remote output off the stock deck is a bit odd in function), then you will really notice it. It was worse before, but then I adjusted the dip switch's on the Soundgate LOCB.2 down and that helped a hair. Its kind of like a really weak audio signal. Maybe turn the dip switchs to the lowest sensitivity setting and getting a decent line driver? Stock amp was very underpowered, so the noise wouldn't be as amplified, therefore less apparent. If I remember correctly though, I think I remember hearing it every once in a while, but I also wasn't listening for it on the stock setup. The amp over-current issue is fixed, my amp didn't like the impedance curve of vocals/highs to a sub ;) As for eq, granted it's probably speaker related, but the 1-2k range is just piercingly loud, and the vocals need a lot more 500-700...just trying to dial in some stock components lol. Besides, my ear is an experienced ear...just not an educated ear, so for now they like the highs with what people would call a bit bright and harsh. I'm ok with it because that's what MY ears like :) Besides, my left ear has some hearing loss (minimal) from a fight.

Good news?

Those stock highs are still alive and kicking perfectly fine, they can take a real a$$ beating! hahahahahaha I can crank em up pretty good, and I still haven't heard them bottom out. Good Job Audi, you put 4 things right in the car lol.

So let me get this straight, you cut out all the processing in your car *assuming it is in your amps like my wives old Audi*, added a LOC, added an amp and now have frequency response, noise, and balance issues?

That headunit already has a line level out. No need for a LOC, but those speakers will sound like complete ass without some serious processing. Far from trivial to get them to work, conveniently for the OEM though they can bundle the same processing for each car and sell a bunch of them.

The LOCB.2 is designed for stock units w/ a line out, not intended for an amplified input like all the other line output converters. I was more worried about having signal issues since its a common ground signal. Granted it doesn't really matter that much since it's not balanced. I guess I could bypass the LOCB.2 and see what happens. It's possible that it could be what is creating the minute noise floor.

Interesting marketing there. Not sure why that would be needed at all. Anything you add to the signal chain can cause noise. Less is more sometimes.