Ddogsc93

Which Sub fellas?

Q or Sa 12  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Considering price, box size, and quality/performance of these two subs, which one would be best suited for an acura rsx (hatchback) considering that I still want a good ammount of trunk space

• 10 inch Fi Q
    • Sundown Audio SA-12

Ok so i have an acura rsx and i'm looking to have a ported box that's about 1.2 cubic feet or less to go in the trunk with the sub facing up and the port firing at the hatch/trunk.

From what i hear, the SA-12 can be put in a smaller box than the Q; however, would it get as low? or have the same Sound Quality (although i know sq isn't really what subs, especially poerted ones, are for)

The Sa-12 is cheaper (about $45-55 less) than the Q, and this money could go towards sound deadening or other things also.

Help me choose Please! haha :thanx:

If more information needs to be given lemme know

(Amp situation will be a Sax-1200d)

The SA-12 will perform well, you probably won't notice a difference in SQ compared to the Q.

I'd take that extra $45-55 and talk to Don at Sound Deadener Showdown for your deadening needs. Great guy and I've never met anyone more knowledgeable in the field :)

The reason these are my two options is because I want a sub that requires a relatively small ported enclosure that will still perform greatly. I was set on a 10 in. Fi q because it is a high perfoming subwoofer with great sound quality that requires a pretty small ported enclosure.

Then, the SA-12 was brought to my attention as another great sub that can be put in a smaller box than the Q, while also being cheaper, and similar in performance.

IMO, I think the Q looks a little bit cooler, and I like the customizations you can have done to your woofer aswell as the great rep FI has recieved, but is it worth the extra money compared to the sa-12?

If you guys have other subs in mind that can compete with these (in terms of a small box yet great sound), by all means let me know

an SSA icon! I had the chance to run them for a few months and they sounded awesome.

Ported: 1.35 cu.ft. for a 10"

It would match up nicely with your amp :)

an SSA icon! I had the chance to run them for a few months and they sounded awesome.

x2 an icon would sound great

Yea that's another option, and it's specs are very similar to the fi q hmm... but when it says it can be put in a 1cu.ft. and then a 1.35 cu. ft. opt. it just means that's the measurement it performs best in?

Yea that's another option, and it's specs are very similar to the fi q hmm... but when it says it can be put in a 1cu.ft. and then a 1.35 cu. ft. opt. it just means that's the measurement it performs best in?

It'll perform fine in 1cube but it'll sound more linear (less peaky) and have more output with 1.35cubes. will the .35cube difference be noticeable to the ear? :ughdunno:

All I know is you can't go wrong with an icon.

Adding to the uncertainty :puzzled: ... hmm haha

Adding to the uncertainty :puzzled: ... hmm haha

you did say you could do 1.2cubes enclosure. So it would fit well and perform well in your space restraints.

example, The smallest enclosure recommended for two 12" icons is 3.8cubes. An optimal enclosure 5cubes, I had mine in 3.5cubes... and they sounded awesome.

Just my two cents.

you did say you could do 1.2cubes enclosure. So it would fit well and perform well in your space restraints.

example, The smallest enclosure recommended for two 12" icons is 3.8cubes. An optimal enclosure 5cubes, I had mine in 3.5cubes... and they sounded awesome.

Just my two cents.

true, very true, haha it's just that the icon and the Q are very similar, 1.2 cubes is the opt. box size for the Q haha but you think the icon is better? I'm sure both or any of these three will be equally awesome, it's just hard to decide.

So did they redesign the icon lately or something? because there are pictures that make it look like the Xcon and pics of it that look like the Dcon :trippy:

The 2010 version has the new dustcap, an upgraded suspension, and an optional flatwound aluminum coil.

The 2010 version has the new dustcap, an upgraded suspension, and an optional flatwound aluminum coil.

ok gotcha that makes more sense haha i like how it looks now. perty sickk

ok gotcha that makes more sense haha i like how it looks now. perty sickk

I think ssa is still waiting on the flat style dustcaps for the 10" drivers, so you could get the regular dustcap type now or wait until the new ones are in stock.

I think. :P

:WELCOME: I will keep my vote out as I am biased.

SSA FTW

Go get an Icon 10 or 12 on that amp !!!

A custom box can be nice in your trunk : do you really need that much space ??!!!:peepwall::roflmao:

hell yea, SA-12 on that amp. i've got 1200+ going to each of mine right now.

SSA FTW

Go get an Icon 10 or 12 on that amp !!!

A custom box can be nice in your trunk : do you really need that much space ??!!!:peepwall::roflmao:

haha i know its a definite downer, but i always have to put bags and my friends' shit back there and all that.

Plus I'm trying to go for a more flush looking setup with the amps either on the back of my back seats, or on the side panels, or one on each.

Apparently to the guys i talked to on another site, one twelve will sound better than one 10 in my particular car, and since a SA-12 is one of the cheapest, well performing 12" subwoofers it sounds like a good suggestion.

I really wanted to roll in the FI or SSA crew haha but i want what will sound best at the lowest price. Ya kno?

And yea i plan on going with a custom box anyway, just a somewhat smaller one haha. I thought of going with a plexi window to show off the driver n all that, but... :ughdunno:

Edited by Technoboy

Go with the 12 and, like you said, put the left over presidents into deadening. That will be more important to the outcome when you're talking about such capable subs anyway. It'd be different if you were comparing one of these with like a pyle or something, but they're all good subs so go for the extra deadening.

votes are perty dayum close.. haha i might just work for my dad, make an extra $100 for deadining and get the Q, then if it's not enough i'll sell it and the box and get that Sa-12,

but i feel like they will sound similar in terms of volume what will sound different about the two?