Hostility

Need help deciding

my orig plan was to run 5 SA8's, i already own 2, so i know how they preform. But im also wondering if i should do 2 sa 12's instead? they will be running off a saz2k, and im willing to run down to .5ohm daily or at 1 ohm. these will be in a s10 ext cab. running 4" aero ports. i know its hard to figure out what would be better, just need some more help deciding. I listen to mostly just music off the tunez section, low bangers.

Five SA-8's would be 25^2 more cone area than 2 SA-12's.

It would also be considerably more motor force.

I would go for the 8"s in the normal S-10 box.

5 sa-8s would be louder due to more cone area and motor force in the right application of course. Sa-8s would take up more room if you gave each woofer .8cuft which makes 4 cuft. 2 sa-12s will only need 1.75cuft ea so thats 3.5 cuft. So louder=5 sa-8s or little more space=sa-12s. I doubt you'll hear a huge difference because two 12's is 226.19 and 5 8's is like 251.xx. Up to you now. Hope i helped.

i would do .7 per 8, ive already designed a box. the extra space wont really matter. but the ohms at .66 final load or, loading wont be an issue with 5 subs?

loading will not be an issue with the 5 subs? that would depend on your box! post a pic of it!

ken i didnt draw anything up, just in my head and have dimensions wrote down. it will be plain old box, subs firing forward, 3 4" aero ports firing up, 3.5 cube box at 38hz. im tuning that high right now my 2 have an external 4" aero, and ive tried many different ports ie. 30hz, 35hz and 38hz, and 38 hz got the loudest and lowest.

well are any of the ports going behind the subs if not you should be good to go

Do subs forward, port up behind the driver.

i have found port up in the middle of the box along the backside works best. im not going for numbers.

b/c if there is something behind 1 sub and nothing behind the other sub it will load differently. at least that is what someone told me back in the day!

ahhh ok, that makes sense, well ill have to draw it up on paper and see, but the ports will be behind some of the subs.....

well post the pics or get a hold of Jud! it who I and derek go to for our box help!

no that is his name I would give you his email but I am on my cell right now

gary! i am on my pc now! here is Jud's e-mail judtoff@gmail.com tell him Kenneth Palesh sent you! he can hook you up!

Just curious why 5 8's? I think in your situation 4-8s or 2-12s would be your best bet, with 4-8s you can get Dual 4 an wire the 2000@0.5 ohm, or you can get 2-12s in Dul 2ohm and wire it at 0.5 that seems to be your best bet on options considering the space you have an actually doing the box proper without trying to cram stuff in there the 2-12s would be more cone area, but by a minimal amount and either path you choose the 4-8s or 2-12s setup could yield roughly the same results, the 4-8s would be more of a WOW factor I would imagine either or should be a pretty good daily setup.

i chose 5 because they are rated at 400 rms, 400 x 5 = 2000 watts. and its not really craming, they will be seeing .7 cubes each when jacob recommends .6 each. i play a lot of low stuff and my 2 8's right now do a decent job, but some notes they just move a lot and no bass is produced, prob because of such a low note, just dont know if adding more 8's would help, or even if the 12's could do it, i know i am tuned pretty high for playing so low, but it was the loudest at that hz even playing low. just want to make the right choice.

Just curious why 5 8's? I think in your situation 4-8s or 2-12s would be your best bet, with 4-8s you can get Dual 4 an wire the 2000@0.5 ohm, or you can get 2-12s in Dul 2ohm and wire it at 0.5 that seems to be your best bet on options considering the space you have an actually doing the box proper without trying to cram stuff in there the 2-12s would be more cone area, but by a minimal amount and either path you choose the 4-8s or 2-12s setup could yield roughly the same results, the 4-8s would be more of a WOW factor I would imagine either or should be a pretty good daily setup.

I would not run 0.5 for daily...

why, its done all the time. i dont see there being a problem if you have the electrical to back it up

why, its done all the time. i dont see there being a problem if you have the electrical to back it up

It's the risk you take. I wouldn't.

Fellas, Jacob stopped warrantying amps that blew under .5 because tards with stock electricals were trying it, if you know what your doing it will be okay, it does decrease the life of the amplifier but all electronics eventually give out with use.

I ran my rd 3250s at 0.5 daily and comps for 2 years straight never had a problem with them, and they still work problem free, its about the user mainly, as stated obviously you need to know what your doing that simple, if you dont have the electrical you cant expect amps to last long, your trying to have them produce more then they are taking in power was an that just creates more stress and in the end you end up with a blown amp. As for 5 8s did you calculate the final ohm load for 5 8s? 5 D2 8s would be 0.2 if wired in parallel 5 D4 8s would be 0.4 if wired in parallel plus you have to factor in imp rise, so realistically you do understand that your not going to get any where near 2k out of that amp especially daily? Your talking about 10 coils creating heat in a common chamber box. If your looking for the lows and the simple build Im going to lean towards the 2-Sa12s D2 wired at 0.5 on the Saz-2000 with doing this your going to need to set gains properly obviously get (buy or borrow) a clamp and dmm and check your resting imp, then check your final imp along with clamped power an that will give you your box rise, your total power your seeing real world obviously dividied by 2 since you would have 2 woofers sharing that power. I cant say for sure, because I dont have the subs, but Jacobs rings for cooling etc may bring your IMP rise down on the Sa12s an add cooling so I would also look into that. Just make sure you do everything right an you should be fine, sure 4-8s would be a wow factor, but I think the 2-12s is the better way for what your looking to do, you can probably get away with a higher tuning, but the subs will like to play lower reguardless, the AQ subs have been like that for yours, you can tune a box at 40hz, but the damn sub will play down at 36hz problem free and sound damn good. Lastly I encourage you to set your filters properly when doing this as well, because obviously you dont want to let your box play down in the 20hz range at full power, or you will probably end up with a seperated neck joint or plain blown sub.