Hostility

Need help deciding

i see now that it will be .4 ohms with 5 dual 4ohms. so i guess its either 4 sa 8's, or the 2 12's. after finding that out now, the 2 12's does sound like a better option, due to the more cone area. Now i have the option of wiring down to 1 ohm, or .5 ohm for 2 12's. all filters and gains and everything is set properlly, i also own a scope. now how many 4" aero ports would the 2 sa12's need? ALso wonder what i should tune to as right now my 2 8's tuned to 38hz was loudest all around, even down to 30hz.

There has always been talk that slot ports are best for daily and aeros are best for competition, but honestly I tried both and slots can and have been loud, and aeros dont sound as bad as people lead on about, I think its more of build quality. Its hard to say really if your at all looking for score (casual competitions) your going to want to find out what the vehicle likes best, example in certain crx models 1 likes 4inch aeros and 1 likes 6inch aeros. I personally like 6inch aeros because they have given me the best results in both my crx and explorer. A better question is what is the suggested port area, what do you have room for? Obviously your going to want to do things proper so my view would be to try both and see which gives the best results, try 2-4inch aeros 4-4inch aeros, 1 6inch aero, 2-6inch aero. On a hunch Im going to learn towards the 2-12s with 2-6inch aeros tuned at 36-38hz

Ports are ports, in all honesty SPL guys use aeros because the displace less because of material used, and they are easier to modify for tuning purposes, NO other difference.

ive used both slots, and now using aeros with my 2 8's, dont really notice a difference. they def help with displacement with not taking up much of it. I want to use 4" aeros becuase i have a ton of them, and dont want them just laying around. Im not going for numbers, just daily pounder, but i will be throwing it on the meter just to see, but score doesnt bother me, its all about sound for me and the lows

That works, just play around with different amounts and you should be fine. Probably 4-4inch will do nicely.

yea i was thinking of maybe doing separate chambers, 2 4" ports per sub, sub behind seat, ports up in middle.

edit** after playing around with the box calc. 4 4" aeros is to hard to get to work, even with 2 separate chambers. seems like i can only get 3 4" aeros to work right.

this is what i have come up with so far..

2 x SA12's

Ports in box

height - 19

width - 42

depth - 12

port

3 x 4", 14" long

3.68 ft3

38.04hz

37.68 in2 port

now i still have to figure out if i want to run them at 1 ohm or .5 ohm....

Edited by Hostility

Sounds good, I would try both 1 ohm and 0.5, I would imagine if you have the electrical to back it up and your easy on the gains and volume you knob you should be fine at 0.5 just roll the volume and test. Your going to get more power at 0.5 because of imp rise vs the 1ohm wiring. Name of the game is going to be test test test.

there is no way i can test 1 ohm and .5 ohm, i would have to order 4 subs, 2 dual 2, 2 dual 4......

thats correct, but I was merely answering your question you would have to test. personally if you know what your dong and you have the electrical to back it up I say go 0.5, obviously others will disagree, but its something you personally have to figure out. 0.5+imp rise

careful the impedance rise hammer hits both ways for a daily setup! since music is dynamic! you can only rely on impedance rise for a burp and even then some testing has to be done first!

I knew about that as well, but even so the coils are still going to warm up and that in turn is going to make your imp rise, or at least in my testing it has done that 100% of the time. Example resting imp was 0.5 played 30 seconds of music at 45-47 hz (lil jon kings of crunk album track 5) during the run the load went up to 1.2 let it sit for 30 seconds repeated the test resting imp was 0.9 now, during the run the imp went up to 1.6 with what was posted with the square wave, and sine wave, would that mean the song alone was keeping the imp rise going up because its roughly a steady small freq band?

so im thinking either 2 sa 12's at .5 ohm, or 1 ohm, or... i also found wiring in Series / Parallel, with 5 dual 2 ohm subs i can get a final load of .8. or if i under power the 8's but 67 watts each, i can run 6 of them, and wire Series / Parallel to a final load of .7ohms

so im kind of leaning going back to my idea with the 8's, i love my 2 little guys, and its something different, i really want to run 6, and running at .7 doesn't really bother me to much.

Edited by Hostility

so im thinking either 2 sa 12's at .5 ohm, or 1 ohm, or... i also found wiring in Series / Parallel, with 5 dual 2 ohm subs i can get a final load of .8. or if i under power the 8's but 67 watts each, i can run 6 of them, and wire Series / Parallel to a final load of .7ohms

so im kind of leaning going back to my idea with the 8's, i love my 2 little guys, and its something different, i really want to run 6, and running at .7 doesn't really bother me to much.

Not sure which 8s your talking about? sa8s? unless there midbass drivers, 67watts isn't going to make a whole lot of a difference :)

no sa8's, yea thats what i thought, 67 isnt much, but thats 67 each, thats 400 watts total.

no sa8's, yea thats what i thought, 67 isnt much, but thats 67 each, thats 400 watts total.

Your using a single saz2000?

yea i know, in reality, on music, i doubt they will be seeing that much power each, maybe 250-300

perhaps, you will find out when you do it though, I was thinking more like 150-175, but who knows its going to be based on the install, your going to get alot of heat from the that mean coils as well.

Only way to really tell the power those subs are seeing is going to be clamp the power

Clamping your amps to try and find power output is a joke.

Only way to really tell the power those subs are seeing is going to be clamp the power

? Its a good thing to check out just to know. Tells you how much power your recieving on your electrical system with the amp. Now i wouldnt use that as a reference point to max my subs out would be a bad idea but just to know isnt that shabby. "Always remeber music is always changing on independence never will be the same".

? Its a good thing to check out just to know. Tells you how much power your recieving on your electrical system with the amp. Now i wouldnt use that as a reference point to max my subs out would be a bad idea but just to know isnt that shabby. "Always remeber music is always changing on independence never will be the same".

I'm not stating whether knowing your amps output is a good or bad thing, I'm stating trying to do it with a clamp meter is a joke. Yes impedance changes over the course of the frequency range, and the time between these notes affects cooling and in turn more impedance rise.

I like your quote

Always remeber music is always changing on independence never will be the same
Viva la Musica, Independence!

who clamps music.... we clamp tones more times then not and the numbers stay a little bit more steadier from there! clamping music doesn't mean anything due to the change clamping a tone would be more beneficial. especially to find your ohm load at the given tone! so you can wire your sub(S) lower on a burp!

for example my sub has an impedance rise of 4ohms on a 40hz burp starting at 2ohms it gives me a total of 6ohm for a final load on my amps! so i can now try to wire my sub lower to a 0.5ohm load to do my burb and see how much rise i will have! and if my impedance falls to low with the starting ohms being at 0.5ohms then i know i shouldn't wire it lower and stay at 2ohms! lol

but i assume most ppl already know this!