The Buzz

(Help) How to properly step by step use T nuts(drill, no leak,etc) thx

I've built a couple of hundred boxes all the way from 2 6w0s in a Ranger to 3 Shockers in a 200SX wall(12 10"s earlier in the same wall) and 8 12"s in my Eclipse I used to have, as well as the run of the run of the mill multiple 13W7s, JUGGS, 2 12"s and everyday beaters middle of the road subs, as well as helping db drag and MECA guys at any opportunity cause that's how I get down to always give a helping hand.

Now that I finally got a job my next future woofers will be beasts and I know simple screws will shear and break. My problem is (and I have TRIED T nuts before with dissapointing results mounting them) I need you guys' help. If anyone can take a few pictures and tutorial on how to PROPERLY mount them I would greatly appreciate it.

I am by no means a noob but that's always been my weak point. BTW you guys are awesome on this board and I've been installing for 10 years and still learn stuff from you homies. Thanks and keep it up. BTW I have LEAP 5.0 and am a huge enclosure nerd so if anyone needs help I'm glad to assist. Now if I can just get sefugi(sp?) to paint my rusty car it will all be good.. ;)

:thanx:

Chris

aka

The Buzz

x2 on this

I'ma go to homedepot later and buy some!

What is the problem you are having with them? Are they spinning on you?

Step one, throw your T-nuts in the trash and order Hurricane nuts from Parts Express.

Once you have them threaded in (hurricane nuts thread into the pilot hole instead of using prongs into the interior facing) squeeze a drop of sealant into the screw hole just before you mount the sub. The sealant will seal the hole around the nut and the threads through the nut. It will also somewhat act as a thread locker.

If you must use the t-nuts laminate a layer of plywood on the back of the baffle where the nuts will bite. They don't hold well in mdf.

If you must use the t-nuts laminate a layer of plywood on the back of the baffle where the nuts will bite. They don't hold well in mdf.

Sure don't. You usually have to seat them with a mallet before putting the screws in. Otherwise the prongs usually just fold under and sometimes snap off.

Here is what I did, taken from my build log.

Here is the insert I'm using. This is what you get with IKEA furniture. You can buy them at Home Depot in 4 packs. I recommend ordering through Mc Master Carr. What 5 packs cost at Home Depot you can get a pack of a hundred through Mc Master Carr.

DSC01901.jpg

All you do is drill the hole and thread them in with an allen wrench

DSC01903.jpg

Viola! Nice threaded hole for a bolt. :)

DSC01904.jpg

Hope this helps.

I've built a couple of hundred boxes all the way from 2 6w0s in a Ranger to 3 Shockers in a 200SX wall(12 10"s earlier in the same wall) and 8 12"s in my Eclipse I used to have, as well as the run of the run of the mill multiple 13W7s, JUGGS, 2 12"s and everyday beaters middle of the road subs, as well as helping db drag and MECA guys at any opportunity cause that's how I get down to always give a helping hand.

Now that I finally got a job my next future woofers will be beasts and I know simple screws will shear and break. My problem is (and I have TRIED T nuts before with dissapointing results mounting them) I need you guys' help. If anyone can take a few pictures and tutorial on how to PROPERLY mount them I would greatly appreciate it.

I am by no means a noob but that's always been my weak point. BTW you guys are awesome on this board and I've been installing for 10 years and still learn stuff from you homies. Thanks and keep it up. BTW I have LEAP 5.0 and am a huge enclosure nerd so if anyone needs help I'm glad to assist. Now if I can just get sefugi (sp?) to paint my rusty car it will all be good.. ;)

:thanx:

Chris

aka

The Buzz

Thanks for the shout out!! What are we painting??

Here is what I did, taken from my build log.

Here is the insert I'm using. This is what you get with IKEA furniture. You can buy them at Home Depot in 4 packs. I recommend ordering through Mc Master Carr. What 5 packs cost at Home Depot you can get a pack of a hundred through Mc Master Carr.

DSC01901.jpg

All you do is drill the hole and thread them in with an allen wrench

DSC01903.jpg

Viola! Nice threaded hole for a bolt. :)

DSC01904.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks ONEBADMONTE, this helps me out for sure! My friend snapped a couple screws in my box even when he predrilled the holes :/