mikey5472

first recone.

Ok well I am going to be reconing my first sub in the next week or so (sundown nightshade v.1 stock coil with extra spider), I know I need to buy ca glue(from fix my speaker) but which ca glue do I need to buy? And I was just reading on ca.com about how to recone, it gave a step by step of how to recone the spider, first put the glue on the spider landing then apply the spider move it around a little to get a good contact then spray the activator on, but not too much because it will discolor and such. But my question is how do I glue the surround to the basket? It never said anything about the activator or anything. So do I just use the glue? Or do I repeat the steps for the spider? This is my first recone, and I know I could send it in to jacob or chris or anyone else, but I would like to learn how to do this myself. So I can understand how it is done and be able to save myself money when I want to do more recones in the future.

Thanks,

Mikey.

I think you use rubber cement not ca glue on the surround

See I thought that too, I just want some clarification before I ruin a $100 recone by not knowing exactly how it is going to go down. I'm the type of person that will research something for a month before I actually go and do it or buy a product. Thanks.

I've used 5 minute epoxy on all the glue joints. Gluing the surround is the same as the spider landing, except rotating the whole assembly. You just press onto the surround lip.

So do I use the activator on the surround as well? Thanks.

If CA glue needs activator to set, it needs activator on the surround landing too, duh :P

I would personally use 5 minute epoxy...seems cheaper.

I read that Jacob suggests 5 minute loctite.

Thats what i have used in the past and had no problems. iv also used CA glue from mobile solutions audio like SMD uses. that worked too.

ok so where do i get the loctite or epoxy then? local hardware store or do i need to ore=der it from somewhere?

ok so where do i get the loctite or epoxy then? local hardware store or do i need to ore=der it from somewhere?

Home depot, lowes, ACE, your local hardware store. get the one that has the mixing tube. when you squirt it out it mixes the two products for you saving the mess. works real good.looks like this.

Right on I appreciate it, should save me some money as well. FTW!!! When I get the recone and everything i will post pics and all that jazz, along with my upcoming build log. Next week i am starting 2 boxes one for my ns and one for 2 12" skar vx12's, (I think thats the model number).