808BMW

RL-p, 1.75cubes, ported or sealed?

So I finally got the courage to buy some quality speakers (my first REAL setup to me). Mike was extremely quick and helpful, and today I got a nice surprise in the form of 2 12" RL-p's waiting for me.

I was slacking, honestly didn't think the subs would come in already, so me and a friend put together a box for it today.

Right now its sealed with individual chambers for each sub. 1.92 cubes before displacement and 1.74 cubes after. Would it be worth it to port this? If I port it then I MIGHT be able to get 1.5cubes for each sub, but maybe less.

Right now I'll be running each sub at 400watts RMS each, how will it perform in the current sealed setup?

I really wish I had built this box yesterday so I can hear these subs already :P

They should be performing fairly well, however if you find that the sound is a little muddy I would suggest slimmin' down your box size a bit to between 1.1 - 1.4 cu ft net volume (~1.3 - 1.6 cu ft gross) per driver. Of course it all depends on how you like your sound, as you will get slightly more output in the current enclosure if at the expense of some clarity. 1.5 cu ft vented enclosure tuned to 34 Hz would be awesome. thumbup.gif

" however if you find that the sound is a little muddy I would suggest slimmin' down your box size "

I suppose you mean muddy because of too much low bass? That could be EQ's out, or don't most car people use EQ?

A smaller box will raise the Q and make transient response worse.

Sure EQ'ing can work, but I don't think most people have decent EQ's in car audio.. at least not the people I've come across who usually have a 2-3 band build-in EQ on their headunit :Doh:

Well I have it in and semi-to my liking for now.

Amp rack is temporary, got a powerbass xa 3000d coming in to run these at 500 rms apiece. Right now I have my RF punch 800a2 running them at 400x2. About a week of playtime. The box is seperated inside, with 1.74cf per sub, sealed.

Impression: OH YES. Output is great for me, however I just have some "dead spots" around my car with my trunk closed. I blame it on install, I plan on turning my box forward and porting it into the cabin.

But they are plenty loud for me at the moment, and they really dont have too much use, so they might even loosen up a bit more. Oh well, here are some quick pics, kinda small but I dont have much webspace left.

The weigh in:

1.jpg

Closeup:

2.jpg

Box is higher than my trunk when closed:

3.jpg

Some magnetization:

4.jpg

Installed:

5.jpg

6.jpg

That has got to make your trunk hump.

Hump... more like fart :P

Certain low songs make my trunk vibrate like 2 inches...

The hinge side (closest to the window) lifts up and air literally "farts" between the weatherstripping and trunk lid.

Part of the reason I want to face it forward and port it.

But it really compresses my eardrums while I'm driving. my friends say they can't think with the stereo on.

nice! from the install to the review...good work!

if u think they are loud now, lol, port em! they come alive!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

they look very nice in that box

under 1/2 volume my single RL-p can vibrate my roof with normal music, gotta love it

under 1/2 volume my single RL-p can vibrate my roof with normal music, gotta love it

port that bish

it is 2.0 27-28 hz

lol oops didnt mean to quote you clicked the wrong button, which i just did again, btw i weighed my box for my xxx and it was 52.5 pounds without the sub. probly about 105-110 with just a single 12 in it

Edited by skmfkr