edouble101

XS Power recommened isolator/relay

I am planning on using a D3400 under the hood as my stock replacement starting battery and a D3400 in my trunk as an auxiliary battery for my amplifiers. I want to use an isolator/relay between the two batteries, atleast 300 amp. I am considering a Stinger SGP35 500amp isolator/relay. Is this a good isolator/relay to use with XS Power batteries or is there something better?

Thanks

Why do you need an isolator? will your car be sitting for long periods of time?

Added protection mainly. Both batteries will be exposed to a different temperature and charging rates and from my semi(barely) educated opinion I believe a relay type isolator is worthwhile to smooth this out. When the vehicle is on the alternator can handle the balancing issues rather then letting the batteries balance out when the vehicle is off.

Also, if one battery fails for whatever mechanical reason the other battery will not be taken down with it. Just good measure in my opinion.

We really do not recommend using an isolator, but if you want to use one just get a good one. The reason we do not really recommend one is that you are always going to have voltage drop coming out of the isolator.

Okay, thanks for the fast reply.

i would not recommend using an isolator even for it's intended purpose..

Because of voltage drop... how is the alt going to efficiently charge the rear battery? It won't....

Also, a SOLENOID isn't needed in your scenario either.

For your "added protection" in case one battery dies.. how?

Give me an example as to how you may think this might happen?

They are both installed and age the same and certified to be brand new.

They are both made by the same line and same model number.

It's the same battery.. just 2 external cases instead of 12 cells in one large case.

Again, no need for it here.

If you are that concerned about it.. (you should have this anyway), go out and buy u an AGM battery charger that's micro-processor controlled and periodically check the batts DISCONNECTED to see if they both are maintaining the same individual charging levels.

If they are not.. it's probably because the cable(s) from the front to the rear are either not enough, not large enough or too much resistance in the run from point A to point B.

These batts should equally put out and discharge together as if they were side by side.