cydacoustics

SA-8 for SQ?

To M5 realistically all you do is come and bash people, the op simply asked for advice, I noted what worked for me, you noted what worked for you plain an simple, you seem to know little to nothing about SPL an always lean more towards SQ in your apps which is fine, nor do I mind your negative attitude towards many members, but you do understand that your not audio god nor are you always right dont you? Further more the Person that actually maked the brand suggested roughly the same size I did imagine that. Have I used the SA-8 yep several times and in my testing I have already mentioned what worked best for me. Jacob uses the sub in 1cube in a crx with solid results simple as that. If you dont like what someone else does or thinks you dont have to acknowledge them you know that right? :eek5wavey:

To Op for your application your best bet is going to be play around with boxs a little tried sealed, try ported see what is most appealing and obviously perfect that until your as satisfied as you can be with your project then share it.

I only bash comments, not people. There are a bunch of absurd posts on here. Not my fault your butt hurts from this one. If you aren't into serious port turbulence there is no way in hell that you can put that driver in a 0.8cuft GROSS box like you recommended. Model it once and then come back and respond. As for SQ/SPL whatever. You just defined my beef with most of the people whom don't like my posts. One sided responses. My are pointed sure, but they are never pointed in a direction where I recommend what I would do, but what I would recommend for their goals. In your case you just came in and spouted first some nonsense that doesn't work and then on top of that you completely ignored the OP's goals and didn't at all listen to what he wanted and instead told him what you thought.

And never once have I claimed to be a god, just not an idiot. I learn everyday and will never stop, too bad you seem to have given up on that.

M5. WTF are you talking about... 3 cubes?

He said gross not me. My box is .65 NET. Gross it is more than 3 cubes. Obviously you have never built a low tuned small enclosure otherwise you wouldn't have piped up. Just to give you an jman a hint, to have a reasonable mach with only 250w you will have a port that is larger than .8cuft which means it won't fit in a .8cuft box obviously.

Nobody said 80 cubes 0.80 was mentioned either or keep it more so on topic. Lets get clarification on Sq vs SPL vs "SQL"? That would be a great help to the OP

also they listened to a wide genre not just rap<<< that stands out to me, so your telling me techno normally in the 60+hz range is going to play as solid as rap 28-40hz being tuned at 30hz? A flat response from a box is ideal obviously. As I said before though its going to be more trial an error for you then what people are going to say on here. Start with a 1 cube box and work you way down try several tunings and even sealed and see where the sub shines for you. I could be wrong, but the reasoning behind M5 using such a large box would be to compensate for the low power being used.

No, you can't read. My box was 3ft gross. Gross includes the driver, the port, the bracing and everything. NET it is only .65cuft. Box building 101. My comments above were VERY clear.

Some people never did calculations, M5..

.8 or .75 cubes from me

M5. How long have you been installing? U really think recommending a 3 cuft enclosure to someone looking for a space saving 8" design is good advice? U can run an SA 8 ported in a much smaller enclosure with success.

As far as enclosures go maybe you've built more than I have. I've only done a couple installs over the last 16 years.

M5. How long have you been installing? U really think recommending a 3 cuft enclosure to someone looking for a space saving 8" design is good advice? U can run an SA 8 ported in a much smaller enclosure with success.

As far as enclosures go maybe you've built more than I have. I've only done a couple installs over the last 16 years.

3 cubes BEFORE displacements.

No matter how you try to work it, drivers have minamum requirements to perform well.

Lord, how many times do I have to type this before you guys will understand the SIMPLEST of enclosure details. 3cuft gross, .65cuft net. IE the sub is in a .65cuft enclosure. It is really, really simple. The 3cuft is because the port takes a crapload of room to tune low in a small box. If you knew ANYTHING about enclosures though you wouldn't have had to re-ask this or make me state it 5 times in this thread.

Perhaps I can make it more clear. Build a .65cuft box sealed. Then cut a port hole in it. Add an external port to the outside of the box. Now add the space the box takes and whammo, in my case it was 3cuft. Does that help??

Sorry OP, you shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. :(

I fully understand displacement and T/S parameters. My box design for an SA-8 in my truck is coming in at about 1.2 cubes gross internal.

I fully understand displacement and T/S parameters. My box design for an SA-8 in my truck is coming in at about 1.2 cubes gross internal.

External port?

Internal 4" port.

WTF are you tuned to 50 Hz?

Let's say we built a basic box with internal measurements of 9"x6"x37". Gross internal volume would be roughly 1.15 cuft. Deduct 0.1 cuft for sub displacement and 0.25 cuft for port displacement (4" port x 34L"). Net internal volume would be about 0.8 cuft tuned to 34Hz.

Let's say we built a basic box with internal measurements of 9"x6"x37". Gross internal volume would be roughly 1.15 cuft. Deduct 0.1 cuft for sub displacement and 0.25 cuft for port displacement (4" port x 34L"). Net internal volume would be about 0.8 cuft tuned to 34Hz.

There is a whole lot of useless internal volume in that enclosure...

This is a basic example. The box can be shaped anyway you want it. The port could be a labyrinth, square, slotted, etc. I am not here to argue with anyone. My point is u can successfully build a vented enclosure for an SA-8 in much less space than 3 cuft.

Again you don't get it. Read the whole thread.

1) I never stated that they should build the box I did I used my box as an example.

2) The OP referenced 30Hz, you just built a 34Hz box which is far different. You also decided to bypass my example where I was using a .65cuft box which will have an even longer port.

3) The comment I was referring to was the "put it in a .8cuft GROSS box and tune to 30Hz. Please design that since you seem to be defending it.

4) Your little box design WILL have port noise with less than 250w, not something I am interested nor would the OP be if he is true to his request.

5) You didn't brace, nor double baffle unless you aren't counting that in your "internal" measurements.

This is a basic example. The box can be shaped anyway you want it. The port could be a labyrinth, square, slotted, etc. I am not here to argue with anyone. My point is u can successfully build a vented enclosure for an SA-8 in much less space than 3 cuft.

And again not at all pertinent to the discussion. I'll quote myself since you don't seem to read.

I have an 8" sub in a boxed tuned to 30Hz that is .65 cuft NET. Gross it is more than 3 cuft. 0.80 Gross will NEVER work.

Understood M5. Text takes things out of context sometimes.

Went back and looked. Some idiot derailed the thread with a personal attack on me. I understand how you didn't see the context but it is rather obvious if you read the whole thread. The whole beef I had was the recommendation of .8 gross tuned to 30Hz. And we both know there is no way in hell that is happening.

I can see where M5 is coming from. .80 gross with ANY size port (internal) would either fit the sub and be tuned insanely high or not fit the sub and be one large port. lol

External port fyi, but obviously its not worth arguing the point because you guys are the only people that are right :fing34: 0.8 tuned at 30 hz would be a 3inx24in port obviously it would be a very long port, but its possible and it works enough said. As stated several times though your best bet is to play with several style box sizes and tunings to get the max performance out of what your using, and/or contact jacob and see what he suggests.

External port fyi, but obviously its not worth arguing the point because you guys are the only people that are right :fing34: 0.8 tuned at 30 hz would be a 3inx24in port obviously it would be a very long port, but its possible and it works enough said. As stated several times though your best bet is to play with several style box sizes and tunings to get the max performance out of what your using, and/or contact jacob and see what he suggests.

You obviously have NO idea what Gross nor Net means :( :( :(

right again M5 as usual :sleepwerd4:

gross in my perspective means the total amount without deduction

net in my perspective means the total amount with deduction, left over amount.

So your gross would be WITHOUT displacement and net would be WITH displacement deduction. Which would mean at 0.8 being your gross you would subtract the 0.1 for sub displacement leaving you 0.7 net which is 0.05 more then your box NET volume suggested given you used an internal port vs an external port which is the gain of an external port, does it look as good nope, can it achieve the same outcomes sure can. Realistically though is your ear going to judge the OPs Sq output? If we are talking means of SQ why not use a cleaner power source? A class D amp is hardly of SQ standards.

right again M5 as usual :sleepwerd4:

gross in my perspective means the total amount without deduction

net in my perspective means the total amount with deduction, left over amount.

So your gross would be WITHOUT displacement and net would be WITH displacement deduction. Which would mean at 0.8 being your gross you would subtract the 0.1 for sub displacement leaving you 0.7 net which is 0.05 more then your box NET volume suggested given you used an internal port vs an external port which is the gain of an external port, does it look as good nope, can it achieve the same outcomes sure can. Realistically though is your ear going to judge the OPs Sq output? If we are talking means of SQ why not use a cleaner power source? A class D amp is hardly of SQ standards.

ORLY?

Amplifiers have come a LONG way from where they started. You also think there will be a difference with a subwoofer? Really?

Its possible. Normally (not always) I notice there are class a/b amps in SQ built cars rarely have I seen Class D amps in SQ competition cars. Can it be done and be solid sure. Bottom line is this the op said he need an enclosure in a limited space. The maker (sundown audio) owner Jacob said 1cube Net is to big simple so he is going to need something smaller tuned at 30hz so realistically with his (ops) limited space what are some valid ideas to help the op reach his goal. He also mentioned he will be using a 3in Aero for port keep in mind with a tuning of 30hz.

Im sticking with 0.8 GROSS external port tuned at 30hz, the flange of the port inside the box will eat up some air space (not much) but you could extend the port inside the box some to eat up more air space if you desire that way you can change your boxs volume and play around more. Best of luck with your testing.

///M5 is stating that his enclosures overall outside dimensions adds up to 3 c.f. , which is the gross volume dimension.

Small enclosures require a very long port to achieve a low (~30hz.) tuning.

If you're using an external port, it's still part of the enclosure and your .8 c.f. gross is not accurate.

Net volume is the chamber the speaker resides in after subtracting any bracing and the speaker displacement.

Gross volume includes the port, if vented, and is the outside volume displacement.

It doesn't matter if the port is internal or external, it's still part of the system and must be considered part of the total (gross) enclosure volume.

It doesn't matter what one or two people call something, but what is accepted as fact.

People interchange the description: "wheel cover" and "hub cap", but they aren't the same thing.