Fi Car Audio

4" coil option for BL Series

Edit: The option is up on the site. It is an extra $50 to go to the 4" coil. Brings RMS power handling up to 1500W per sub.

We were sitting on this one until after the new year, but have decided to release it now given the amount of inquiries we have had regarding 4" coiled subs.

We will be adding a 4" coil option to the BL Series by the end of the week. This allows for more thermal capacity over the standard 3" coil. Spec wise it does change things some, but enclosure recommendations will remain the same. In testing (about 9 months back and again last week) we saw some solid gains in the mid band with similar output near tuning to the 3" coiled version. The midband gain (even though the coil is heavier and there is a reduction in 1W/1m rating) is due to the overall TS parameter balance.

We were happy enough back then to order up materials to get things rolling, but decided to wait until after the BTL-N series changes. Now that the N Series is underway and we thought we would drop this one too.

More info and some pics ASAP.

Thanks,

Scott

:trippy:

Must...resist...buying...10 of them!

Uh oh. :peepwall:

In to see how it gets pulled off. My understanding is 4" coils don't play well with 8" spiders, ahem "RE Destroyer".

In to see how it gets pulled off. My understanding is 4" coils don't play well with 8" spiders, ahem "RE Destroyer".

They have Ti baskets, so that may be how they are able to make it work well.

Nope..it's all about using the proper 8" spider to make it work properly :)

They will be 12 spoke 8" spiders.

Interesting Nick, interesting. :)

Yes we do have the larger baskets and 10x4 and 10x3 spiders, but we have been using those only for Ascendant and other OEM applications. We are trying to keep the Fi and AA lines distinct... hence the reason for not bringing over the 6 spoke frames.

8x4 works well. We are getting practical mechanical limits close to the 8X3. We like how things are limiting and the whole assembly has been exceedingly durable in testing.

Thanks,

Scott

The btl n2 has 4" right?

Nope.

would love to have more Fi stuff with the Ti basket :(

All of the Fi lines are 12 spoke cast aluminum frames.

Nice to hear you guys have continued to develop and evolve the 8" spider. Nothing better to buy than a sub with solid and sound American engineering and manufacturing. I think it should be posted in the rules in similar fashion to the "SQL" term being used that basket on the SMD sub be referred to as the Ascendant 6 spoke basket. Just a though. :)

4" coil going into the N3 or NSG?

Never know what might show up :)

Wow, that took me off guard! Sounds great, just wondering but is there a reason for doing 4" on the BL and not the BTL?

What sort of power handling were these new BLs looking at?

Simply because we can. The motor on the BL kind of lends itself to it. There are minimal changes to things outside of machining 4" round stock for poles and a different top plate. The other subs don't without major changes to things... making them realistically a far different sub. The BL just as easily works for 3" or 4" coils.

If it makes its way to other lines, people will see once its on the site. We don't have any immediate plans for it though.

Thanks,

Scott

Simply because we can. The motor on the BL kind of lends itself to it. There are minimal changes to things outside of machining 4" round stock for poles and a different top plate. The other subs don't without major changes to things... making them realistically a far different sub. The BL just as easily works for 3" or 4" coils.

If it makes its way to other lines, people will see once its on the site. We don't have any immediate plans for it though.

Thanks,

Scott

IF for some reason i need my 3" BL reconed to a dual 2. Could I get the 4" coil added on?

You'd need a new motor Casey