Kyle1141

Box help!!!!

I need some help would u guys recommend a figerglass box and mdf or jus an mdf box I don't know much about mdf an fiberglass boxes it's for an 18" btl

Honestly, you expect people to give you an educated answer when you ask such a vague question?

What are your goals? Why do you want a fiberglass enclosure? For the look?

Not for looks there is no other builder around where I live but this one and he uses mdf an fiberglass I jus want it to sound clean does the fiberglass change a lot of the sound rather than mdf sorry for brein vague jus need to know fast sorry

You need to be more specific about "he uses mdf wood and fiberglass".

does he build a box out of mdf and coat the inside with resin, and your referring to this as "fiberglass an mdf"

does he build a box primarily out of fiberglass and uses mdf as a "skeleton" for wrapping the cloth around?

does he wear pajamas and a name tag with "Willie" on it? If so stay away from that guy, it won't sound clean

It's because I don't know? I'm guessing he primarily uses mdf because he said that he uses 3/4" mdf so I'm guessing he sprays it on

Oo sorry what he showed me it was a enclosures that was shinny and no carpet if that means anything

Ok jus talked to the guy he said its not 100% fiberglass its made from mdf then they hand lay the fiberglass

It's because I don't know? I'm guessing he primarily uses mdf because he said that he uses 3/4" mdf so I'm guessing he sprays it on

Well I'm sorry to tell you that if you don't know then there's no way in hell we know, therefore no one can help you.

If I were you, I'd talk to Andrew from Argent Audio on here and see what he can do for ya. His prices are fair and his work is superb, you know you'll be happy with the end product.

Ok jus talked to the guy he said its not 100% fiberglass its made from mdf then they hand lay the fiberglass

So the fiberglass is put over the box for aesthetics? Nothing wrong with that.

Have you seen / heard any of his work? Finding a box builder is a bit hit and miss, for my last setup I was too cheap to pay for shipping for an enclosure and have someone I know that does good work build it.

So I found someone locally that could do it, and the end product wasn't terrible but wasn't perfect either.

Well I was in his office and there was magazines all over with him on the front and he said my box will have lifetime warranty and he has been in business for ten years

And would that make my box a lot stronger and would it still sound good and clean with the fiberglass he lays on it

And would that make my box a lot stronger and would it still sound good and clean with the fiberglass he lays on it

Fiberglassing the outside may strengthen it a little but internal bracing will do way more. But it'll look snazzy with the fiberglass :P

Won't effect sound.

I may just be a confused :noob: , but why would you build a perfectly good MDF box and then cover it with fiberglass??? I can understand applying resin to the inside of the box to add strength, but not the outside. I bet this guy is charging an arm and a leg for a box like that. If i were you, and i'm not, i would ensure that i understood how he is going to come up with the necessary volume of the box and the proper port tuning to ensure you get the best sound you can from your purchase. Sometimes you have to step back and take a minute to make a good decision.

Just my .02

You need to ask them some specific questions on what you'll be getting for $400.00.

The website has some nice looking enclosures, but that really doesn't mean anything.

Most of what I see on loslabs.com are fiberglass enclosures, but I can't tell how well built they are from pics.

You need to know exactly what he's doing for you cash.

Applying resin to mdf doesn't make it stronger.

It can be used to seal the seams, but bracing will make it studier. Higher resonant frequency.

Edited by cobra93

^^^x10. Judging by his website, he is a pretty much looks only builder. Now I'm just basing that off the pics of what he has on there. He might build many other types of boxes but just not post them on the website. But looks ans sound are two very different things. Especially when it comes to high powered subs. I'm guessing you're wanting the best performance out of your sub. A pretty fiberglass box may look nice but it will very unlikely give you the best performance. It would be like having a Ferrari but with a Kia engine in it.

Why not take a crack at it yourself? Try some punctuation while you're at it. Ok, I'm just kidding with that little poke, but seriously, you can do it! You could ask someone on here to help you design a box, sketch out some plans, and even have a hardware store cut the wood for you. If you can use wood glue and a power drill you can build a box, and not a half bad one at that. :fing34: