Sign in to follow this  
95Honda

Looks the original Tumult is back....

HSU Research has a dead ringer for the original Tumult. Regaurdless of what they say, I bet it is pretty unchaged....

Really, an awesome driver......

My link

How do you think it differs from the Tumult-X ?

I think all of the newer XBL2 subs have more modular, cheaper motors. I think those original motors like on the Tumult and early XXXs was designed/machined as form follows function. When Adire switched to the next gen motors for all of thier stuff, they kind of went on a cost savings route. I see the same thing on the DIY cable stuff.

Not that the new stuff is inferior by any means, I just think those first woofers were Dan Wiggins expression of a no cost compromise subwoofer...

How different was the Tumult compared to the XXX ?

I think all of the newer XBL2 subs have more modular, cheaper motors. I think those original motors like on the Tumult and early XXXs was designed/machined as form follows function. When Adire switched to the next gen motors for all of thier stuff, they kind of went on a cost savings route. I see the same thing on the DIY cable stuff.

Not that the new stuff is inferior by any means, I just think those first woofers were Dan Wiggins expression of a no cost compromise subwoofer...

Hard to tell from the picture, but to me it looks like this driver also uses the two-part top plate. I'd gander a guess that even it if was designed similar to the original, it probably uses the same newer assembly/construction method as all of the other XBL drivers. I don't know of any XBL driver currently being produced that doesn't use that style of motor assembly.

It has the original single piece top plate. You can really tell with the tapered appearance......

That gen motor and the XXX were the same.

My current XXX 18s in my H/T were build by David at RE with a pair of Tumult motors I sent to him. They are the same beast..... The same buildhouse built the XXX and Tumult motors.....

could be mistaken ,is that spider not a wee bit flimsy ?

question : what company is thinking about re-introducing that driver ?

Check out the link, it is HSU research......

Since we are sort of on the XXX / Tumult motor subjects...how did the old Avalanches compare to the XXX's in terms of extension down low and efficiency ?

I didn't really have much experience with the Avalanche. I do know that it has a smaller, less costly motor..... Little less throw also....

Other than that, I think they were similar. It was a shame they went out of production, I think they were a good deal. Bickering between them and Adire killed the whole thing....

The avalanche sounded just like a tumult, but was slightly louder on a meter with less than 800 watts. Beyond 800 watts, the tumult and XXX kill the avalanche with more power.

I have owned all three drivers (actually at the same time). All really nice and sound almost the same.

Oh what a blast from the past! I never got my hands on one, i got two Avalanches instead. The latest version to be coming out before Adire went under was going to have multi-layer top and bottom plates that way they could customize things easier. XXX had a much higher Fs...was car audio oriented... The Brahma and Avalanche were closer to a Tumult than a XXX was. Avalanche was to Tumult/Brahma like the Ascendant Audio Poly Mid was to the Extremis... almost as good for much much less.

When I bought my Avalanches I went on Brian's reviews as I had my eyes on his Tumults for a while before the Avalanches came out... Avalanche was louder with less power at low volume, Tumult needed a lot more power to shine but when you gave it more, it did outperform.