SentraGuy

? about box securing.

I'm planning on securing my sub box to my trunk using L brackets. I'm also putting in a plywood floor so I can mount amps/batteries/etc to it also. But my question is that, when using the L brackets on the box, do I just bolt straight through the side of the box? And if I ever move the box to another vehicle or change the arrangement, it will have a handful of holes in the side? Just seems odd. Is this the right was to do it though?

The most secure method is to use grade 8 bolts mounted from inside the box directly through the vehicles body. A less abrasive method is to frame out your box in 2x4's that are mounted to the vehicle.

I have heard of "L" brackets commonly being used. Maybe for a tiny enclosure or for a few circumstances where a box is pinned inside a vehicle but this is not the most secure method.

There are numerous methods for securing an enclosure. Use the one that best fits your vehicle. You are not just preventing theft but you are keeping a 100+ pound box from flying through your vehicle in a sudden impact accident.

If there are no worries if it flying into the cabin in a worst case scenario then they (L brackets) should be fine.

I just used some MDF sitting around and cut it about 8" in length, then cut it around 2" thick. Then turn it onto the 3/4" edge and attach two L brackets. One on each side

saves your box plus looks good too

I just used some MDF sitting around and cut it about 8" in length, then cut it around 2" thick. Then turn it onto the 3/4" edge and attach two L brackets. One on each side

I'm trying to visualize this, and.. Getting nowhere. Pics by chance?

hehe, i thought it sounded confusing

gallery_7108_326_505421.jpg

hehe, i thought it sounded confusing

gallery_7108_326_505421.jpg

Ah. I see now. But what then do you do about the box moving forward/backward?

do you put that mdf on the open side of the box? My assumption is he has the box against let's say the back seat inside the trunk and this is on the other side of the box caging it in???? Still not sure though, that might be ugly!