I have a Kenwood x793 HU. I love the features on it. I use a USB 16gig thumb drive 95% of the time. I do compete. I am currently at around 146-147 db. The problem is the faceplate shuts off at high volume. This poses a problem as you can't turn the volume down or anything when it goes off. If I press in the faceplate it will not shut off. My question is has anyone ever had this issue and if so how did you fix it? I thought about soldering jumper wires from the faceplate to the HU. I never take the faceplate off. I'm not sure this would work or not.

Thanks

Does the faceplate come off of the HU or does it just shut off? If it just comes off, You could get some industrial strength velcro and put a strip on the back of the faceplate, and a strip on the HU to keep it on there possibly. That is if there's a gap big enough for the velcro to fit. I know there would be just enough room in mine. This would save you the risk of damaging your unit from soldering, and keep you from having to use things like tape to hold it on which can look quite ghetto-fab.

No, it doesn't come off. It just vibrates enough to loose connection and reset the faceplate.

I wish it was the voltage. As I push the faceplate in it will quit powering off. The music still plays fine. I love the features of the HU but as I reach towards that 150 I will have to figure this out.

From my understanding its vibrating so much its making a loose connection? The Velcro idea will still work cause it will hold it in place.

Yes the faceplate goes off from the vibration but the music still plays during this. At full tilt if I don't hold it in then it just keeps doing it and I can't turn it down or mute or anything unless I push in on the HU. We have some industrial velcro at work...I'll try that.

Lol ... are Alpines better in a SPL build? I've never had an Alpine.

Lol ... are Alpines better in a SPL build? I've never had an Alpine.

I have the upgraded version of that and i love it, i compete too and hit over 150dB and have no problems at all with it.

are you allowed to use a podium in the class you compete in? that will solve the vibration problems. i know in some organizations you cant be inside the vehicle past a certain db level (150db i believe)

Does the Alpine play mp3s off of a USB thumb drive? And does it have good SQ functions? Even though I like SPL...I still like it to sound damn good too.

I had the X993 it's just the radio being gay. Nothing you can do.

For SPL, do you mean true SPL? Or just daily that you compete with?

I'm in MECA and never seen a podium with anything less than a mod class. You can't be in the plane of the door if its over 145. I was in AS3 last season and thinking of S2 this season. Got some rebuilding and new equipment to get but I will be near that 150 real soon. Just want a deck that when I drive around and need to turn down quickly that I can.

I had the X993 it's just the radio being gay. Nothing you can do.

For SPL, do you mean true SPL? Or just daily that you compete with?

It is my daily driver that I run at 2 ohms and then compete at .5 ohms. That part will change soon with a new amp, but I still have it for my commute everyday to work. All interstate driving and gets old without some tunes...especially when I leave its dark and get home and its dark.

I would say that the simple answer is to get a HU that doesn't have a detachable face.

So it's not an SPL build. It's just a daily system, big difference in H/U.