bimmerboy

Anything wrong with gain all the way down?

So i won't be in town for a couple of weeks and my bro will be driving my car... Him being in HS i know he will try to impress his friends, I specifically told him not to go above 30/35 on the H/U..... didn't tell him about the gain b/c i know he will try to turn it up if I told him I turned it down for hiim...

To protect my sub I turned the sub amp gain all the way down today, but can still get some bass at full tilt, where is this power coming from? H/U?

I thought turning the gain all the way down will= no power?

also is it okay to keep the gain all the way down and play at full tilt? no clipping issues right? I understand the amp wont be clipping but what about the H/U?

(30/35 on the h/u with sub-level @+15)

Just want to make sure my setup is still working when i get back...

Thanks in advance!

The gain is not a volume knob.

Yes, it's okay to have the gain all the way down. The power is coming from the amp, it is still an amp.. even with the gain all the way down.

Why not just take your inline fuse out and take it with you? That way there's no chance of anything getting damaged at all.

I know that, it amplifies the signal, but with the gain all the way down i was unsure if it cuts the signal completely or not

Why not just take your inline fuse out and take it with you? That way there's no chance of anything getting damaged at all.

lol I want my bro to enjoy the system but not destroy it.... Just trying to make sure he can't go too crazy with it.

Edited by bimmerboy

I know that, it amplifies the signal, but with the gain all the way down i was unsure if it cuts the signal completely or not

Even with your gain all the way down, whatever voltage your HU is putting out still gets to the amplifier, it won't "cut off" the signal ;)

Even with your gain all the way down, whatever voltage your HU is putting out still gets to the amplifier, it won't "cut off" the signal ;)

aha, cool thanks. I learn something new all the time arond here :drink40:

lol I want my bro to enjoy the system but not destroy it.... Just trying to make sure he can't go too crazy with it.

Turning the gain all the way down won't completely stop the signal but it will lower it. So instead of having to turn the volume knob on the h/u up to say 20 for clipping to occur, you may need to turn the volume to 40 or something.

It's all relative to one another.

ya I learned that about 2months ago! lol when I used a DMM on my amp turns out with my gains all the way to the left (off i guess) i was getting a perfect 100VAC lol. so then I went to use an oscope and I ended up turning my gain about 3/8 the way up! lol good times!

and yes it is safe to turn the gains down it will not hurt anything!

Turning the gain all the way down won't completely stop the signal but it will lower it. So instead of having to turn the volume knob on the h/u up to say 20 for clipping to occur, you may need to turn the volume to 40 or something.

Most HUs can't put out enough voltage to cause most amps to clip with the gain set to minimum.

And actually in the simplest of terms, the gain knob is precisely a volume control.

Most HUs can't put out enough voltage to cause most amps to clip with the gain set to minimum.

And actually in the simplest of terms, the gain knob is precisely a volume control.

DUN DUN DUN

shocked.jpg

Yes I understand the concept and the relationship to the headunits volume knob and an amps gain. But I didn't call it a volume knob for a reason, some read it as "volume knob" and simply turn it up without knowing. :)

Yes I understand the concept and the relationship to the headunits volume knob and an amps gain. But I didn't call it a volume knob for a reason, some read it as "volume knob" and simply turn it up without knowing. :)

Just like some turn up the volume knob on the headunit without knowing. I fail to see the difference.