xAndrew225x

Help a member out..

Ok so I've been looking for a new vehicle lately and I came across an interesting find.

97 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Truck. 2 wheel drive, 4cyl 5 spd. Single cab.

It's a one owner truck, looks and runs great. Seller is local (15 min from my house). They're asking $2900 which is too high but negotiable (I'm thinking $2000 tops). Only problem I have with the truck is the mileage, 200k :ehh:

I really want to make something nice out of it. Rims, lower/bags, possibly blowthrough ;)

Wanted to know your honest opinion. All the research I've done leads me to believe the truck is extremely reliable and cheap to fix.

What do YOU think?

I have a 96 nissan hardbody and have never had a major problem with it, 200k+ miles on it so far and still running strong. I've had several different loads in the back from mulch, helping 10+ people move at different times, multiple motorcycles, towing our boat on long trips a couple times, and even taught a few buddies how to drive a manual (including myself, and has NOT been easy on the transmission). It still feels the same as it did when it was brand new. I love that truck!

Edit: I don't know if the truck is worth $2900 though, happened to get ours for $6.5k off the lot brand .. the dealer we got it from had an order for 100 of them for a business coming to our area, but cancelled. It had no back bumper, radio, speakers, right side mirror, nada..

Edited by brandonf

Ask 2000 and we'll do a blowthrough. Win

That's the plan. Need more experienced insight however. lol

I have a 96 nissan hardbody and have never had a major problem with it, 200k+ miles on it so far and still running strong. I've had several different loads in the back from mulch, helping 10+ people move at different times, multiple motorcycles, towing our boat on long trips a couple times, and even taught a few buddies how to drive a manual (including myself, and has NOT been easy on the transmission). It still feels the same as it did when it was brand new. I love that truck!

Thanks alot man. This is the stuff I like to hear!

Keep 'em coming!

From the way brandonf talked about his, this thing is a hardass.

From the way brandonf talked about his, this thing is a hardass.

Hence the name 'Hardbody' lol

These are really tough little trucks. Only thing I would be worried about would be suspension parts and driveline parts. Check for blow-by and and make sure the clutch is good. Personally, I think $2K is high as well, but if it's a nice clean truck with a documented history, I'd pay a little more.

What are your plans for the truck though? It's very small on the inside, roughly 7-8" total behind the seat with the seat ALL the way forward. The inside is all 'plasticky?" Without the radio in it, I can honestly use a garden hose to wash the inside of the truck.

However, PLENTY of room under the hood to mount multiple batteries.. can probably fit 4+ large batts easily.

Edited by brandonf

These are really tough little trucks. Only thing I would be worried about would be suspension parts and driveline parts. Check for blow-by and and make sure the clutch is good. Personally, I think $2K is high as well, but if it's a nice clean truck with a documented history, I'd pay a little more.

Thank you sir!

Yeah they have all the records on it, etc. and it seems to be in great shape.

Took a quick look and drive today and was pretty satisfied.

What are your plans for the truck though? It's very small on the inside, roughly 7-8" total behind the seat with the seat ALL the way forward. The inside is all 'plasticky?" Without the radio in it, I can honestly use a garden hose to wash the inside of the truck.

That's why a blowthrough would be perfect.

Parts are super cheap as well, so insurance will be next to nothing as well as maintenance.

:lol2:

It would become my daily driver and a somewhat project vehicle.

I don't need it to haul anything really, just looking to make it a unique street truck. Mainly do some cosmetic work, maybe exhaust and intake.

This but not to that extreme. lol

Parts are super cheap as well, so insurance will be next to nothing as well as maintenance.

I've heard the same! Definitely a major dealbreaker is the reliability.

However, PLENTY of room under the hood to mount multiple batteries.. can probably fit 4+ large batts easily.

I noticed that the engine bay is very easy to work around and doesn't seem complicated whatsoever.

Suspension-wise, i've had two large motorcycles in the back (although it did bottom out a couple times) weighing roughly 800 lbs and it was okay. All of the weight is in the front of the truck, it handles much better with something in the back.

Suspension-wise, i've had two large motorcycles in the back (although it did bottom out a couple times) weighing roughly 800 lbs and it was okay. All of the weight is in the front of the truck, it handles much better with something in the back.

Like a box with a few subs? ;)

Like a box with a few subs? ;)

:drink40:

Screw it, just make the whole bed an enclosure. DO it BIG.

I know you wouldnt do a blowthrough without drew or I's help.

I know you wouldnt do a blowthrough without drew or I's help.

Nah I'd definitely do it right. I'm sure Drew would be the first person I'd go to about it. lol