Sign in to follow this  
swagger_wagon468

yet another "what battery for my car" thread

So, I will soon be running a sundown saz-1500D. And now I have a aamp that puts out 190x2. So about 1900watts Rms total. I will be ordering a DC Power 180xp alt. And I was wondering what batt should I use in order to not have to use a secondary batt? Really don't want to have to do any modifications if possible.

I drive a 1994 Toyota Camry V6. Thanks.

-jonathan

And I have looked at the chart. But I saw that you stated the chart is very general and is is recomended as if u had a stock alt... so I did try to figure it out.

thanks again.

And I have looked at the chart. But I saw that you stated the chart is very general and is is recomended as if u had a stock alt... so I did try to figure it out.

thanks again.

Just go by off the chart as if you have a stock alternator. It will help in the end.

Ok. That makes sense. How do I know which batts don't need modification? I just don't wanna have to deal with modifying the wires going to the batt.

Ok. That makes sense. How do I know which batts don't need modification? I just don't wanna have to deal with modifying the wires going to the batt.

Looks like you need a Group 24/35.

The XS Power website is down at the moment.

Check with XS Power. I believe their standard is reverse of OEM. They make "R" batteries that are designed for OEM use. Check with XS Power to verify, Nathan is helpful.

Dub post

Edited by edouble101

The D5100R would fit in the stock location for you. For daily use this battery will be enough power for you, but if you are going to be competing or doing demos (playing straight bass tracks or slowed and boosted) you will want a little more reserve capacity (2nd battery). I would look at putting a bigger alt in there to be honest. If you get a 180amp alt you can figure around 40-50 amps going to run the car and then that only leaves you with 130-140amps max going to the system. The Sundown amps are power hungry and you will see the 1500D pulling more than 150amps.

Yea I go to high school and everyone is allways satin... when u gettin ur system? I wanna hear it! So yea ill be doing. Demos. Maybe competeing every now and then... I mean its only one XCON, soo...

so you really think that a bigger alt is necessary? If I go with a bigger alt then can I do just the primary batt? Im kinda limited on space as my box is so big. (Gonna be about 7.5cu ft)

Thanks again.

For normal daily use that alt will be fine for you, but if you are going to compete and be doing demos then you will want to get a bigger alt. I say that because probably 90% of the people get a an alternator that is good for their current system, but then soon after they upgrade to more power and still have the alt for their smaller system. Its up to you, but you can't have to much power for your system. Depends on the vehicle though also. With it being a Honda if you have a V belt on it, then 180 or 190 maybe the biggest you can go with out getting a lot of belt slip.

well i wont be doing rediculous demos and have the gain to max or anything like that. and ill only do one comp just to see what i get.

this will be a daily setup. and its a Toyota. not Honda. lol.

that being said, will the 180 and one batt do?

thanks.

Reread post #13 and #16, he states you will be fine if is just a daily setup but if you want to compete and do demos a another battery will help out.

But every car electrical is different and depends on factors such as your listening habits, goals and how you control the volume knob to be honest with you. The best way to tell is to install your equipment, get a voltmeter and watch your voltage to see if you need more power to make power. In the beginning the stock alt and D5100 may be all you need and if you need more power since your limited on space for a secondary battery go for an upgraded alternator. The real factor will be the sundown amp, the Boss wont be pulling to many amps to worry about to be honest with you (so your looking at around 1600rms-1700rms on full tilt).

I don't think there is any way at all that I can run om stock alt. Its only 80amps. And I wont be upgrading any time soon. If I ever do. It will just be up to a btl. With a saz2500. But I probobly wont.

Well car audio is about compromises to be honest with you, its either pay some money to have a nice electrical to keep your equipment running or ruin your equipment by not having the proper electrical. You gotta pay to play, another idea would be to recone your sub for a 15" so you can find space for another battery. You have to plan everything out before you just go buying things, especially if you upgrade your gonna need a bigger alternator and possible another battery. But then again it is all in the install, im pretty sure if need be you can find somewhere to fit secondary battery in a wagon.

If your that worried about the alternator then just budget to get a new one as well, dont have to get it tomorrow. Just play your system conservatively until you can get the new alt.

Of course. I know I gotta pay to play. And I don't plan on cutting corners. Also, I don't mind getting a second batt. Just don't want to if I can help it.

I have room for a batt. Its just that it will be dirtying there in the open. Maybe ill build a custom holder for it. Idk. But even if I do need a second batt, it will have to wait for a while. ..it takes a while to get cash for something when I make $7.25/hr. Lol

I understand, no need to tell me how much you make to be honest with you. If you get an AGM battery like XS Power or whatever brand you choose they will not dirty up the air being in the open, mostly half the guys on this forum run secondary batteries in the open air (its just a certain type you can use though).

I just recently purchased a second battery for my setup, but haven't gotten it in yet... It's a Kinetik HC800 which I will find a way to install it in the read of my 2003 toyota Camry. In the front I have a Kinetik HC1800... So right now I am running with a stock alternator same as swagger @ 80a MAX output according to manuals and websites...I noticed that at certain times when "idle" or running A/C lights would dim and sometimes get rough idles... I did the BIG 3 which helped a bit but ultimately I need more power and since my setup isn't so high powered I thought I might sneak by with a second battery at the rear for a bit.. I was thinking about getting the DC Power 180HP for my car but since the Kinetik HC800 was on sale for only $99 and it is so small at 7.5in x 5in x 6in I think it was worth it to buy even if I end up with a HO alternator just so it can help regulate power/voltage at the amps...