Sign in to follow this  
joshtazz

was reading up on my jeep and had a question

So I was reading about my 2002 jeep liberty (KJ) electrical system and found this

The charging system of our KJ's is much different to ones in the past. I have been told that in an efforet to protect the PCM and other computer components in the KJ, the charging system draws from the battery FIRST and then calls on the Atl/Gen to re-plenish the battery as needed. That is why the new generation of Deep Cycle batteries work so well. They have the reserve power to allow the extra toys without needing to add the huge alt/gen of the past. As you use your lights, stereo, winches, what ever, they will be drawing from a battery that is not designed to power all that stuff. A deep cycle is designed to do that.

So then what helps the best adding a h/o alt first or adding a deep cylce battery

thanks

Edited by joshfi

h/o will always help more so then an extra battery will!

Well, before answering so swiftly, contact DC Power and ask them if they make an alt for your ride first.

Then proceed to ask them how their alt will work with your vehicle based on how the stock alt... in a sense, doesn't work the way most do.

See if a DC Power alt overrides the computer so it's always Boss.