irie kid

what amp for a fi q12

hi i am just wondering what amp i should get for a fi q 12 fully loaded which im going to order very soon.

my choice so far:

planet audio BB1400.1

ALSO ANOTHER THING WHEN I ORDER MY FI Q12 SHOULD I ORDER IT DUAL 1 OR DUAL 2, which would work best with the classD monoblock amp ?

P.S. im a newb.

thanks. -Patrick

depends on your electrical system and budget. give us more info. you will have to match the sub to the amp.

also if you dont mind why did you chose the Fi Q as a sub rather than other subs?

Edited by smashedz28

stock electric, in my toyota matrix. my budget is around 200 for an amp

im putting a pioneer deck new speakers and tweeters if that helps any.

how much would it cost to upgrade my electrical system in my car, and what is included in an "electrical system" ?

and i think i want the dual 2 version of the Fi Q12, what amp would be a good match for it ?

chose the Fi Q no apparent reason, i just like the sub. i was looking at MTX ts55 which is also nice imo. my budget on a sub and box is around 400.

alright, before you go and buy that sub what do you want out of your system? looking for good quality sound or something to piss off everyone in a 2 block radius? electrical upgrades could be a simple big 3 upgrade (do a search), a high output alternator or extra batteries in the back, all depending on what your goals are for your system. post your goals of what your looking to get out of the system so we can really help you

okay ill do my research on the electrical.

but anyway im really looking to blow people away and have a decent 12 that slams really loud, everyone at my school runs type r's and mobile's and they think it slams.

after watching that i know the Fi q12 is no question, far from being even in same category as type r's ect

i listen to alot of DUBSTEP rap hip hop underground techno, so bass is a key role in all music i listen to. i would of chose the BL but i heard the Q has better SQ, but less SPL.

im also looking for the music sound quality but on a budget so i was just going to get 2 tweeters installed, and 2 new front speakers 6 1/2 coaxials since components would require a whole nother amp or a 5 channel, i think its easier to just get tweets speakers and a monoblock amp for my sub.

If you want loud and impressive re-think your choice. The "Q" is not for you at all!

think you should go with Fi BL (there is other brands also). The Q sounds great, but i dont think its the sub you want... i have a friend with a 12" running off a 1500 watt audiopipe amp..clean sounding speaker for damn sure.. but as far as blowing people away.. thats not the sub.

i want SQ just as much as SPL, also planning on putting the sub into a 2.5 cuft tuned @30hz possibly 32hz

ill definately consider the BL over the Q, what would you recomment for amp for the BL 12, and dual 2 or dual 1?

and as in loud. im talking a sub over 1000 watt is loud where i live. noone has a system and if they do its a piece of shit from radioshack ect and they think its loud so compared to them a Q is way louder then what theyv ever heard..

Edited by irie kid

i want SQ just as much as SPL, also planning on putting the sub into a 2.5 cuft tuned @30hz possibly 32hz

ill definately consider the BL over the Q, what would you recomment for amp for the BL 12, and dual 2 or dual 1?

and as in loud. im talking a sub over 1000 watt is loud where i live. noone has a system and if they do its a piece of shit from radioshack ect and they think its loud so compared to them a Q is way louder then what theyv ever heard..

Much better choice in the BL!

depends on the amp you chose. if the amp is a 1 ohm stable amp and makes its power at 1 ohm (most do these days) then you want a dual 2 ohm sub. if the amp makes the power you want to run at 2 ohms then you want a dual 1 ohm sub. as far as budget amps.. look into the audiopipe ap1500d or the ap1000, look at some hifonics amps, ive heard the Mb quart discuss amps are decent, sundown is always good but a bit more expensive. I have heard good about the soundstream DTR amps also being decent. I believe all those make their power at 1 ohm. Running at 1 ohm is a little more stressful on your electrical system though, anything over 1000 watts or so and you probably want to consider atleast a 2nd battery along with the big 3. i could be wrong about that, not 100% on the electrical needs of these amps. There is a ton more but alot of the amps out there these days claim a certain power and dont deliver. Once you decide on the amp your going to run you can chose the coils for your sub.

if it was me, i would probably go with the audiopipe ap1500 and a Fi BL, its an amp i have experience with and seems to do the job just fine, can be found on ebay for around $160 or so link and i would chose the dual 2 ohm coils. I would also do that knowing that i need to do the big 3 and most possibly will need to buy a 2nd battery if my voltage doesnt stay up high enough.

also understand the box is a very important part of ANY install. good speaker in a shity box will do you no good. good speaker in a good box and you are more than half way there.

lets just say i bought the BL 12 dual 2ohm.

how about a planet audio ap1500d or the audiopipe ap1500d

dont know anything about planet audio amps, i only said the audiopipe cause its something ive used. maybe wait for someone here to comment on those amps. if you got the BL with that AP amp, put into the correct enclosure and set the amp up correctly i think you would be very happy with it.

yes i have a layout of the box that fi recommended for the Q ill have to look into the BL now, ill just call a audio store and have them build me one to my specifications

If you end up going thru with the install make sure to post up lots of pictures here and video's if possible. love to see other people's builds... and good luck :)

If i happen to do the install, i will.

ALSO IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THE PLANET AUDIO AP1500D vs AUDIOPIPE AP1500D

please help me choose between the two for a BL 12 dual 2.

notice the planet audio is only 1000 rms but max of 1500. max is bs. i hate it when they list max wattage lol even put 1500 watts on the amp itself when its only 1000rms (they say!). that alone pushes me to never buy one of those

Many people on the forum seem to trust audiopipe amps. So, for the extra few bucks, you should invest in a safer bet. Also, if your budget is truly an issue, you should build the box yourself rather than have an audio shop build it for you. Some shops will charge you upwards of 100 bucks for a box. Save your money and look for somebody here on the forum who can set you up with a solid design for much less money.

i used a kicker 1000.1 on my 15" BL and it did really good. BL is louder but not that great in SQ, from what i hear/understand. I would just like to compare them

Some shops will charge you upwards of 100 bucks for a box. Save your money and look for somebody here on the forum who can set you up with a solid design for much less money.

That's a pretty good price if shops near you do it for that much(assuming they're not junk). A quality, custom made ported 12" box from a reputable shop is more than likely going to hit $200 and maybe even higher, depending on the shop. I asked a shop how much a simple ported box for my pair of 10"ers would cost, just for the hell of it. $300! Yikes...and of course they didn't even ask what size or tuning I was looking for.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Don't forget Audioque 1200.1D

Slick amp for the price