slim142

Need a new car ASAP, help me choose!

Title says it all

Im looking for something that is a crossover. To give you an idea, I was looking to get the Saturn Vue 2nd generation (which means 2008 or later)

I was really just a few steps from buying it. Its a nice looking car and the fact that is american and no fancy dash makes it easy for me to put my audio stuff. But then this thought of Saturn cars been discontinued kept going around me. I dont know how this will affect me in the future.

So then started looking around and found what I consider IMO one of the best looking crossovers ever. The Mercedez ML 350. That car is just beautiful. Now, with this one I dont know if its worth the trouble I might have when it comes to replacing the stock with new audio components. I contacted Mechman alternators and he told me Im most likely going to be stuck with that stock alternator. Most likely wont be able to put more than one and might not even be worth replacing the stock one since it might be water cooled. Now I didnt even know alternators could be water cooled lol.

So now Im stuck here debating whether the luxury is worth a stock alternator. I have checked other choices from other companies but nothing convinces me. Either the car is too big or factory radio its on a fancy dash.

Any ideas and comments are greatly welcome!

And before I forget, the stuff that Im planning for that car is (2) AA SMD 18"s, (2) Sundown 4500Ds, 0/2 gauge for Big 3, power and ground, AA Carbons for mids, Morel tweets, XS batteries (hood and prob 2 extra ones on the back), Pioneer DEH-P800PRS for HU, and enclosure tuned to 30hz (rectangular shape)

i know it's a good thought to plan ahead. but you shouldn't decide what vehicle you want because of the audio you're putting into it. There are much more crucial factors that are in play. you can put audio in anything, but tens of thousands of dollars you put into buying a car is hard to replace.. just a thought.

i know it's a good thought to plan ahead. but you shouldn't decide what vehicle you want because of the audio you're putting into it. There are much more crucial factors that are in play. you can put audio in anything, but tens of thousands of dollars you put into buying a car is hard to replace.. just a thought.

You are right

I dont know how that thought completely slipped through out of my mind. I guess Im really into car audio these days? LoL

The mercedez is a great car and I honestly cant find something else that gives me that WOW impression. Previous cars I liked were the Pacifica, SRX, Cayenne, Equinox, Traverse, RX330, Acadia, Edge but nothing like the ML 350.

Edited by slim142

You are right

I dont know how that thought completely slipped through out of my mind. I guess Im really into car audio these days? LoL

The mercedez is a great car and I honestly cant find something else that gives me that WOW impression. Previous cars I liked were the Pacifica, SRX, Cayenne, Equinox, Traverse, RX330, Acadia, Edge but nothing like the ML 350.

hey, i bought a CRX haha so im being a hypocrite. :roflmao:

You are right

hey, i bought a CRX haha so im being a hypocrite. :roflmao:

Trust me, I would buy a 2-door or regular sedan

But I need space for the monsters that I will be putting in

But I also want to have my backseats available you know? :D

Have you looked into the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee? I don't know if thats classified as a crossover or not lol. But where I live, people are trading off their BMW's and Mercedez Benz to have one of these. Between the 2 brands, theres roughly 20 of them sitting there and the oldest is a 2008. Someone even traded off their 2010 M3 for one of these.

Drove the new Jeep, it is nice. I liked it better than the non-AMG ML's as the suspension on even the 550 isn't so fun IMO.

Not so sure if you go the ML route that removing the headunit is so easy. I haven't looked as my ML63's HK system really sounds pretty good. Keep thinking about it, but instead am focusing on home audio at this point.

I looked into the Cherokee and I find it a bit big for my needs.

About the AMG series from Mercedez, they are out of reach for me.

Look for used range rovers. I know you're saying 08 but you can find reasonably priced ones around '06 if you want an eye popper and luxury. Whichever way you go, good luck.

Oh, and don't get a Jeep .. please ..

Look for used range rovers. I know you're saying 08 but you can find reasonably priced ones around '06 if you want an eye popper and luxury. Whichever way you go, good luck.

Im not sticking to "08", that was only when I was interested in the Vue (cause 2008 and later were the 2nd generations and I didnt want the 1st generations).

But for now, Im looking at ML 350s from 06 and later.

Ill take a look into the range rovers. And dont worry, idk why but the jeep just doesnt call my attention lol

Watch out for ANYTHING with integrated dashes... the dashes are EXTREMELY expensive.. mine alone cost 200 just for the dashkit, and 100 for the adapter..

peepwall.gif

Ouch, seriously? Biggest mechanical wrecks ever. I have 4 friends with Range Rovers and all of them are in deep shit repair wise. My sisters, which was under warranty thank god, had over $25k in repairs in 2 years. Hers wasn't the worst among my friends either. I would run like hell from them.

The new Jeep is sweet and amusingly is pretty much the same size as the ML considering they share a chassis. I know they stretched the new body on the jeep 4", but it doesn't drive any bigger. I wasn't recommending the AMG, just stating that the dash and h/u replacement won't be trivial.

i too know people who have to send their range rovers into the shop at least twice a year. its a beautiful truck, comfortable inside, can get loud with the right system, but isn't worth the cost to keep it running in my opinion

I see

Well as far as I can tell, the regular ML 350 has no custom dash. Seems like a simple remove factory, put aftermarket radio.

Compared to let say, the 2011 equinox or the later caddy SRX's dash that have custom screens and special shape dashes which seem pretty complicated to modify.