Sign in to follow this  
///M5

Vinyl Stretch around little tweeter pods

Posted this in the hop since there was some vinyl talk this morn, but need some help in figuring out how to finish the vinyl off after it is stretched and glued to the front. There is no place to "staple" the vinyl to the back of the pods so how would you attach it? I have never done this before, but have some really stretchy vinyl and 3M 77 Spray adhesive (and others, but thought this was best).

Any recommendations on how to finish or attach the vinyl to the backside of the tweeter pods? As a reference for size the whole is less than 2" and the edges of the pod are about a 1/4". These will be mounted in the stock sail panel locations.

post-967-1132240576_thumb.jpg

post-967-1132240592_thumb.jpg

Bump. Is superglue strong enough? Or better than the contact cement? Gonna try in the next hour but would love more input

It will bond plastic.

CA glue( super glue) is better than contact cement.

Glad you clarified the CA versus super. I have both and would have used the wrong one.

CA comes in different strengths as well.

Or you couldve just taken some nail glue from the wifey

Hmm, the CA glue I have you would use to glue on R/C tires. I am pretty sure I have the "slow" which sets up a little bit slower so you can move a bit.

Might be amusing to see how many times I get to do this...

Well it doesn't work the first time (for me). Chit, got CA all over my hands. Tried to wrap it around but the thing is so dang small I couldn't get it to lay right. Tore it off, gonna sleep on it. Got to figure out a way to get the CA off--maybe wear latex gloves tomorrow

Only way to get it off is to literally cut it off with a knife.

Or if you have a thumb nail you can try and pick it off

Some came off while sleeping, but it feels like I am wearing fingertip gloves. Funny.

I have used hot glue in the past, and it held up good on stretched vinyl.

fwiw..

Thanks for all the replies, but @#$(*&@$#(&()&&(!*&(*&%@(*&!@(#*%&)^%(*&(*#&()*!#&)(*!&)(!$(*@)#&%)(*@#&%()*@#&%)(*@#&%)(*%#&)(@*#&%)(@*#&(*%&@!(%&!@_)%&!)(%&@)_%*&@)%(*&_!@*%&_*&%*@$

Aaargh!

F'in vinyl. Too small of contours to make it follow without seams. These beyotches are going to get sanded and painted like the rest of my car. I know I can do that. Gonna leave the vinyl work for when I have a flatter surface..

Some came off while sleeping, but it feels like I am wearing fingertip gloves.  Funny.

Yep.

Kinda freaky but cool at the same time

ehh, takes forever

And knowing ///M5 he would drink the rubbing alcohol

mmmm, rub. doesn't last long around my house

I use a pumice stone ( like old ladies use on their feet :D ) to get ca off my hands.

I use a pumice stone ( like old ladies use on their feet :D ) to get ca off my hands.

She-i-o that would have worked. Thanks for the note. My wife even has one in the shower :Doh: -- I don't shower though, but why would I shower after working in the garage.

Now don't tell me that "knowing me I will eat those"

You mean a dead skin scraper...

Not the cheese grater looking thing, there are some that use a very coarse stone. Pumice is what makes lava soap gritty. :)

Edited by ramos

Also about the vinyl, did you warm it up first ? I find it helpful to throw it in the dryer for a few minutes to get it good and warm. :)

Got it hot as possible with a hair dryer, way way way stretchier but couldn't figure out how to hold/glue/stretch all at once. I almost made a jig to hold the fabric taut so I could just push on it, but thought it would be easier to sand for paint since it was pretty close already. The painted pods actually look pretty cool installed, perhaps better than the vinyl would. It matched my leather, but the shiny paint makes the shiny parts of the plastic look at home.

Thanks for the tips though!

Not the cheese grater looking thing, there are some that use a very coarse stone. Pumice is what makes lava soap gritty. :)

I know what a pumice stone is ;)

Its a dead skin scraper.

I know what a pumice stone is ;)

Its a dead skin scraper.

Okay :P , I old a guy one time to use it. Come back later and he had one of the cheese grater kind sawing away on his hands. I live around a bunch of necks man. I can't help it :)