edouble101

PR for car audio

I would love to use PR for car audio application. Before I start designing the system I have a couple questions.

1. Will the automobile environment be too abusive for PRs? With a vehicle in motion, going over bumps and accelerating/deaccelerating, cause the PR's cone to move affecting performance?

2. I have read that downward firing a PR will cause the diaphragm to be displaced downward. If the PR is mounted cone up will the cause a similiar situation (diaphram sinks towards spiders)? In my current vehicle the only way I can use PRs is with cones pointed upward.

Edited by edouble101

I run pr's in my car no problem, but they are mounted on the side of the box and the sub is top firing. Pr's are not designed to support the weight of the tuning mass on a vertical plane

That's what I was thinking.

are you thinking about them to help reduce box size or something else?

I know the powered Infinity bass cube thing uses a passive radiator. I think it could be done.

What about a aperiodic membrane. I wanted to try those on my door pod, but chickened out.

I am thinking of ditching the xcon. I would love to run to dual Sundown 12" in a dual 15" PR setup. Smaller box with more output with the same if not better sound quality.

AP mats are sweet but the subs I want do not fit the criteria.

I run pr's in my car no problem, but they are mounted on the side of the box and the sub is top firing. Pr's are not designed to support the weight of the tuning mass on a vertical plane

What he said.

Thanks. I will be contacting you for design assistance within the upcoming months.

I would love to use PR for car audio application. Before I start designing the system I have a couple questions.

1. Will the automobile environment be too abusive for PRs? With a vehicle in motion, going over bumps and accelerating/deaccelerating, cause the PR's cone to move affecting performance?

2. I have read that downward firing a PR will cause the diaphragm to be displaced downward. If the PR is mounted cone up will the cause a similiar situation (diaphram sinks towards spiders)? In my current vehicle the only way I can use PRs is with cones pointed upward.

1. The most abuse I can imagine are vertical shocks from when you hit a bump and you have a lot of mass suspended from the suspension.

2. That big mass will not allow a downfire or upfiring situation.

If you are absolutely trying to save space, they are fine as long as they are not up/downfired as noted.

But really, unless space is an absolute concern I don't see the point considering high displacement PR's are not cheap. Why spend the money when a ported enclosure can do the same thing?

The issue is that my XCON at my trunk lol. I need to get some storage area back.

I do want a smaller enclosure but I do not want to sacrifice output. PRs are amazing. An extremely low tuning can be achieved, ported enclosure efficency to name a few. IMO the only cons are cost and mounting requirements.

I have heard two car audio PR systems in the past. I think they sound great.

I need to do more research before I dive into this. I am going to look into a semi external port as well through the rear deck. With two 12's and an external port I may be able to get what I want.

I wish I would have hung on to my 15" TC VMP's from 5 years ago...

Edited by RAM_Designs